Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Tips for knee starting or water starting

Postby dksurfer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:31 am

My spot gets really choppy even in light wind days (10-15knts) with mostly side on to onshore conditions. I am looking for advice on what would be the best way to get going in these conditions and what kind of board would be best suited for the conditions.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Re: Tips for knee starting or water starting

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am

Short and wide for board, what's your weight? Technique is to be on both knees and get off shore enough so that you can go down wind towards the beach, get to your feet, then on foil, then go up wind away from shore.
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post:
dksurfer (Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 am)
Rating: 8.33%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai
GK Trix
FS Peak4
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 am

First time I tried winging, I was positioning board 90 degrees to the wind, and wing downwind of the board, trying to kneel sideways on the board and get up and go... Which was absolute bitch, and complete failure! It's very hard to control pitch and roll kneeling sideways!

Now, after it all clicked, I put the board facing pretty much downwind, the wing downwind, resting on the nose of the board. This gives enormous stability while you get on the board, on your knees, in the axis of the board, as you'd do on a SUP. You get all the float of the leading edge to assist with the balance. And because the board is facing downwind, the effect of the chop isn't too bad. Once reasonably centered and stable on the knees, grab front handle bring wing overhead, then back hand, while doing so, board starts to go to the intended direction. Then the wing will provide good balance to stand up. Once up on your feet, the rest is easy!
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
oldkiter (Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:27 pm) • joekitetime (Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:58 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:31 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 am
First time I tried winging, I was positioning board 90 degrees to the wind, and wing downwind of the board, trying to kneel sideways on the board and get up and go... Which was absolute bitch, and complete failure! It's very hard to control pitch and roll kneeling sideways!

Now, after it all clicked, I put the board facing pretty much downwind, the wing downwind, resting on the nose of the board. This gives enormous stability while you get on the board, on your knees, in the axis of the board, as you'd do on a SUP. You get all the float of the leading edge to assist with the balance. And because the board is facing downwind, the effect of the chop isn't too bad. Once reasonably centered and stable on the knees, grab front handle bring wing overhead, then back hand, while doing so, board starts to go to the intended direction. Then the wing will provide good balance to stand up. Once up on your feet, the rest is easy!
Thanks. Your technique seems very helpful. But requires at least somewhat sideshore wind. I keep getting essentially onshore wind and I think I need a boat to get me away from shore just to practice!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Yeah, really hard to learn with onshore wind. Having a chase boat or doing a down winder is ideal. I have seen some people kneel "sideways" but I think that is more difficult. Kneel transversely and take your time with foot placement. Also, don't try for the very midline in the beginning. Have your feet of center, or really where ever you can and over time you will learn to shift them after standing.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 am

@slingshotucf. I weight about 175lbs and currently have an old Starboard Go windsurf board, about 33 inches wide by 8' long and padding from nose to tail. Still very undecided what board to get for a dedicated wing board. I am interested in going when the winds are light... hoping to get out in 12knts if possible.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 am

Dksurfer, I'd go with the fanatic 95 liter or something around that depending on where you live for wing dedicated board. I'm 170 and use a 5'1@90 liter but I can drop down to 70 liters and still knee start but harder to do in rougher conditions. If you're going to sup foil also then just keep it 6' or under, once you get into those 7'and 8'boards, it's a lot of leverage against the foil to get you up and going.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:47 am

I started Wingboarding last week.
My Wing buddie lent me his F-One 7'6" Inflatable and Naish 2400 for a couple of sessions.
I then went on a 6'6" 127 l and 1950 cm foil which I will keep until I progress more.
If you are aiming for light wind Wingboarding then the F-One 7'6" and a 2400 cm foil would be the size to look at.
Agree with the above posts of getting up while going downwind. I also keep my back foot on the downwind side to keep the board flat during lift off onto the foil.
Downwinders are the best way to learn as it cuts out the walking up wind and allows more practice time.
I am 72 kg and ride in small waves

You should be able to ride comfortably on your knees before attempting to stand

viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2406667

I found the Turkish Get Up exercise fires all the same muscle groups needed for Wingboard starts

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Lie on your board and paddle out the the wing dragging behind u. Get wing downwind side and use the leading edge as an inflatable outrigger. Lean on it with downwind hand whilst you get to your knees and get balanced. It helps stabilise you loads. Get wing up above your head and pulling quickly, this gives you movement which stabilises you, kneel up tall to stop tip dragging. Wait for gust/ if enough power get first foot up.

Choppy is hard my first 4/5 sessions were in chop, waves, next 3 in flatter water. Now can get up fine in chop, I’m on 10th sesssion. Just keep going out, every hours struggle moves you forward skill wise. I’m exponentially better than my first couple of sessions.

But it’s exhausting, if your overweight or unfit learning will be tough. Once you’re getting up quickly and foiling, energy expenditure goes down quickly.

Mike

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:33 am

In case anyone is wondering, the smaller the board that you can stand on, the lower the winds needed to get on foil. So my 5'1" 90 liter, I can pump onto foil 6-8 knots, if I'm on a 7 foot board, then I better have a solid 12-15 cause the more material in front of you the more negative effect on the foil. All about leverage. So a board with a lot of flat area after the foil tracks can't pop onto foil as easily as a board that has no flat area after the tracks. This isn't like kite boarding a twin tip, more surface area isn't your friend, it's all about the liters in the board.

Return to “Wingsurfing”