Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Re: Tips for knee starting or water starting

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pm

fluidity wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:31 am
slowboat wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Sport is pretty new and evolving. I do see the trend towards more width in wing specific boards but the trade off is hitting the side of the board in turns or waves. The Gong crew uses very wide boards but they also use very long masts. For many wingers who are on medium length masts, too much width can be a problem.
I've seen video with people breaching wide wings cornering hard, do they usually settle into a clean water flow again after a tip breach?
Depends a lot on the wing design and also on the finish. A well sanded matt finish will allow the flow to reattach faster or not detach at all. However some tips shapes or wing outline will simply just not recover or ventilate completely when you breach the tip.

--
Gunnar

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:08 pm

dksurfer wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 pm
Thanks for the tips, it is great. What would be the ideal width and volume for a beginner board?
+1

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Another one for you wingers about the volume and width; I'm very god strapless surfboard and kitefoil rider, with 7 yrs on windsurfing. I weigh 78kg and was wondering would I loose lowend (significantly) if I choose an 85litre board (4'10x71cm) versus 110litre board of 5'10x71cm, and both setups would have 6m wing and big front wing, please? With kitefoilboard, the shorter the board means less swing weight and more agility, which I'd assume would be the same with wingboards?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:41 am

omg wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm
Another one for you wingers about the volume and width; I'm very god strapless surfboard and kitefoil rider, with 7 yrs on windsurfing. I weigh 78kg and was wondering would I loose lowend (significantly) if I choose an 85litre board (4'10x71cm) versus 110litre board of 5'10x71cm, and both setups would have 6m wing and big front wing, please? With kitefoilboard, the shorter the board means less swing weight and more agility, which I'd assume would be the same with wingboards?
Hi OMG,

You would not loose that much lowend (depending a bit on boardshape). However you would loose a bit if comfort when the wind dies. You won't be able to easily stand on the 85L board and displace upwind compared to the 110L.

--
Gunnar

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 am

omg wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:08 pm
dksurfer wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 pm
Thanks for the tips, it is great. What would be the ideal width and volume for a beginner board?
+1
Depends on your weight and situation. I teach people on Weight (kg) plus 60L in my courses. For your own first board I would recommend weight plus 20L if you are not so experienced with SUP or Windsurf boards. If you have good balance and can foil already I usually recommend you bodyweight=Volume.

--
Gunnar

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Alan Cadiz high wind start.

joekitetime
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:04 pm

First off, how did I miss the wingsurfing section on this forum! Shame on me! I wished I would have come across this awhile ago!

I did start beating myself up 2 weekends ago on a 32L board. I did get up and ride but it took an hour to finally get on foil. I rode 15 minutes because I was so exhausted.

The technique I used kinda works, but sucks. I don't recommend it and I can't wait to try what others have proposed here. I did an easy butt sit, held the wing overhead, then lunged up while forcing my foot/leg to swing behind me onto the board, while quickly doing the same with my other leg. Killer on the arms pumping the wing, killer on the tops of my feet scraping all over the board, killer on my knee joints. Really no fun at all.

I can't wait to try some of the other techniques I see here!

Return to “Wingsurfing”