joekitetime
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None

Winging, Board Sizes...

Postby joekitetime » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Howdy foilers. Full time foiler here, now full time winger. Yes, I bashed it, tried it, now addicted to it...

My question has to do with the advantages/disadvantages of using a sinker board (say 32L - like prone boards) for winging. I'm on my 3rd board (started 125L, then 95L, now 75L). The 75 liter board feels big when on foil, but it is nice during infrequent touchdowns to regain foil, and it is easy enough to carve. And it can easily be schlogged. I have no problem starting out on it, but knee starts are tough because it hovers 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the water, but sink starts are impossible because I can't get the board underwater at all.

So I'm curious if sink starts might actually be easier. Maybe they are, maybe they are not. I'm convinced that riding a smaller board would be more manueverable, although I still see plenty of folks riding bigger boards (bigger than 32L). My thought is something like with windsurfing back in the day, although maybe you could ride a super small board, it was so much work that to me it was a why bother. Is the same true with winging? When I watch the videos of the sink starts, they seem way easier than my current board starts with a board that very hard to knee start.

Any thoughts/tips/advice would be appreciated. I have a 32L board that I may try today.

Thanks!

Return to “Wingsurfing”