Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First Session: Groove G-Fuerte Wingboard

Postby Thatspeck » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 am

Dave K wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am
plus there is no way I’d give up the 90l board for those days where you just want the extra security/ease. I think we are in a bit of “low volume board” craze right now with winging (your not really good unless you’re water starting a 30l board, or at least knee starting something 10l under your body weight). Guess we’ll see how it plays out.
I'm with you on this Dave, anything less in volume than weight in Kg. seems pointless as long as it's fairly light. Even my 6.5Kg board is pumpable forever downwind in swell, why would I want to give up the security of getting in on my knees, happened twice so far on downwinders and I was grateful for the volume :lol:

But there is this allure to "waterstart" so what is the "dead zone" in volume (Kg -10 to -30 for instance is unusable, below and above is ok). We need to be able to sink the board a half meter at least so there's some support from the water. Without trying a bunch of board volumes it's hard to tell.

This board looks awesome though, 70 and 100L sizes pretty well cover the market.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Re: First Session: Groove G-Fuerte Wingboard

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Thatspeck wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 am
Dave K wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am
plus there is no way I’d give up the 90l board for those days where you just want the extra security/ease. I think we are in a bit of “low volume board” craze right now with winging (your not really good unless you’re water starting a 30l board, or at least knee starting something 10l under your body weight). Guess we’ll see how it plays out.
I'm with you on this Dave, anything less in volume than weight in Kg. seems pointless as long as it's fairly light. Even my 6.5Kg board is pumpable forever downwind in swell, why would I want to give up the security of getting in on my knees, happened twice so far on downwinders and I was grateful for the volume :lol:

But there is this allure to "waterstart" so what is the "dead zone" in volume (Kg -10 to -30 for instance is unusable, below and above is ok). We need to be able to sink the board a half meter at least so there's some support from the water. Without trying a bunch of board volumes it's hard to tell.

This board looks awesome though, 70 and 100L sizes pretty well cover the market.
A year ago I would have agreed with you, but 70L is now my lightwind setup. I can displace upwind with it no problem with my 85kg. I was out testing the "Wing that cannot be named" with the G-Fuerte in 4-8 knots I could still stay upwind in the lulls just displacing along.

The Board designs are evolving and without the oversized bevels, Nose Concaves and step/kicktails the boards are a lot more stable in the water and easier to manage lower volumes.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Wingsurfing”