Forum for wing surfers
Jfactor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco, 3rd Ave
Gear: Slingshot SST 4, 6, 8, Flite 10m, Lift 110, 170
Brand Affiliation: None

Lift 250?

Postby Jfactor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 am

Has anybody tried winging with a Lift 250? Is it big enough? I assume the 250 is 250in^2 which converts to ~1600cm^2. I think that would put it on the smaller end of foils for winging. I'm already dug into the Lift ecosystem, would be great to use my existing gear.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Lift 250?

Postby slowboat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Most people need the biggest foil possible when learning and have their initial successes with foils over 2000. With some experience and in solid conditions, that 250 should be great. Of course, body weight also factors in.

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm

I tried my Lift 250 surf foil with their smaller 34 back wing for wing foiling two days ago. It was gusting in the 20's and it got my 185 lbs up and foiling on it with a 6M. The one thing that stood out to me is that I had the mast all the way forward in the tracks and I still had to keep my feet fully behind the furthest back front foot strap placement on the board. This gave me a fairly narrow stance with my back foot against the existing kicker pad placement. Once up it felt pretty loose compared to the other foils I have ridden. I cut my session with it a little short as it was very choppy and I felt a little uncomfortable without being able to use the front straps. I had used the same board with a Go Foil Maliko 200 and Armstrong 2400/1600 for which the foot strap position on the board seemed fine. to answer your question, 'yes' it will work for wing foiling given enough wind and a board that has sufficient mast/footstrap adjustment for proper riding position. Lift has also just released a line of higher aspect front wings that may give people with their set ups other options for wing foiling. There is a good video of one of the BRM crew winging on what appears to be a larger Lift front wing, maybe a 250, and a fairly small strapless board.
These users thanked the author Dave_H for the post:
slowboat (Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Dave_H wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm
I tried my Lift 250 surf foil with their smaller 34 back wing for wing foiling two days ago. It was gusting in the 20's and it got my 185 lbs up and foiling on it with a 6M. The one thing that stood out to me is that I had the mast all the way forward in the tracks and I still had to keep my feet fully behind the furthest back front foot strap placement on the board. This gave me a fairly narrow stance with my back foot against the existing kicker pad placement. Once up it felt pretty loose compared to the other foils I have ridden. I cut my session with it a little short as it was very choppy and I felt a little uncomfortable without being able to use the front straps. I had used the same board with a Go Foil Maliko 200 and Armstrong 2400/1600 for which the foot strap position on the board seemed fine. to answer your question, 'yes' it will work for wing foiling given enough wind and a board that has sufficient mast/footstrap adjustment for proper riding position. Lift has also just released a line of higher aspect front wings that may give people with their set ups other options for wing foiling. There is a good video of one of the BRM crew winging on what appears to be a larger Lift front wing, maybe a 250, and a fairly small strapless board.
How does it compare to the Armstrong 1600?

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm

In my short experience with the two, the Armstrong 1600 seemed to provide a more locked in/stable feeling when up and foiling. Note that I was using the smaller 34 back wing on the Lift which may have made for a looser ride.
These users thanked the author Dave_H for the post:
slowboat (Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”