Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner Wing Foiling Equipment

Forum for wing surfers
JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner Wing Foiling Equipment

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Been thinking about trying wing foiling. However, I am confused about what equipment I should purchase. I am 92kg, and the winds in my area are from 10-15 knots sea breezes with higher winds from fronts and tropical systems. I do not kite foil.

I've read that for my weight a 120-140l board, 1200cm-2400cm foil. I have no idea what size wing and brand to get. I've researched the various brands as follows.
Wind Wings.pdf
(524.4 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

I would like to know what type/size board and foil as well as an appropriate size wing (or wings) for my weight and the conditions I ride in. Also, I would prefer something that I would not "grow out of". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Beginner Wing Foiling Equipment

Postby windmaker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 am

I weigh 66kg and in the 10 to 15kts wind range (75l board) use a Swing 4.2 and Phantom 1480 foil. I have noticed that it only takes a few kts more (18) to get going with my 2.8m Swing. On the other hand my smaller foil (Phantom 1280) needs some real power in the wing to get going. That's to say that foil size is more relevant than wing size.

For your weight and conditions I would reccomend a 120l board, with minimum 1800 high aspect front foil wing (low aspect is a little easier to learn on but you will outgrow it quickly) and 5 to 6m wing depending on how energetic you are with water starts. Just like with kitefoil, once you get going there is very little energy required to keep going.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
JakeFarley (Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:07 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:21 pm

120-130 L board. Biggest foil wing from the brand you end up going with. Consider Gofoil, Armstrong and Axis. If you don't having any foiling experience, I would strongly recommend against buying a high aspect foil. They are much harder to learn on. As far as the wing, the market is still very young. Definitely 6 m or even bigger. You want low end power. Consider F0ne, Ozone, Slingshot V2 or the Cloud wing which may be the best of the bunch. Keep it simple and don't mess around with windows or booms and don't get lured by the cheap European brand wings. (I am sure that comment will upset a lot of people).
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Wing size ~2400 cm, High Volume board 140 L+, 6 m Wing maybe 7 m if you are Tall
These users thanked the author irwe for the post:

Return to “Wingsurfing”