Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:51 am

Agree, body weight + 10 litre is hard the first times, but possible.

And when learned, eventhough you CAN go small when windy, you will still love having the size when wind backs off and you have to stand up rescuing yourself to shore.

So one size you can use while learning, and later :thumb:

When learning you should ride a bit too powered anyways, much easier.
Dont go out when its low winds, on a small board, when learning.

For very beginners, body weight + 30 litres is by far the easiest, though, if one had the option.

But you will catch it very fast so using + 10 litres is quite possible also, and you dont need to change board later.

You might of course end up having two boards, + 10 litres and a smaller one for really windy days or with more stable winds.

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:20 am

loco4viento wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 pm
I know a bigger board is less fun to ride than a smaller board, but being able to paddle back in would give me the confidence to ride some nice waves that are a bit farther out than my preferred swimming distance.
When you say paddling back in, I assume you mean prone paddling. Lying down on the board and paddling with your arms, like a surfer. As opposed to SUP paddling, standing up and using a paddle, which requires a lot of stability.
For prone paddling, I don't think it makes that much a difference whether your board has -20L or +40L relative to your weight, it will still float you comfortably. And your ability to paddle in will be essentially affected by extreme width preventing a good arms movement, and short stubby board shape which is not optimal for non planning displacement. As an extreme case, considering equal volume, a 5'0 by 32" would be a pain to paddle in, compared to a 6'5" by 28"

On another note, more on topic, I'm using a surf coiled surf leash that I attach to a webbing belt (the ones that Ozone ships with every kite). This gives the advantage of being able to "handle pass" the leash around the belt if you're ever wrapped in the leash after a fall, and it allows easy clipping/unclipping of the buckle for entering/exiting the water.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
loco4viento (Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Glice227
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake St Francis
Gear: Flysurfers, Clouds, Celeritas, Monk, Hydrofoils
Been thanked: 0

Postby Glice227 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi, does "body weight" include the foil and board weight as well? Most set-ups are over 10 kilos...Thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:34 am

Glice227 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm
Hi, does "body weight" include the foil and board weight as well? Most set-ups are over 10 kilos...Thanks!

No, it is rider weight.

Meaning, for most in lighter winds, your body weight + 10 litres as a board size, works fine.

Eventhough foil + board + suit exceed the 10 litres (10 kg)

It would sink a tad if you did not move forward, but it works just fine and feels good/easy when you have learned.
IMO needed, minimum size, for riding back home non foiling when the wind drops a lot.

For initial learning if you want it easy, +20 to 30 litres is by far the easiest the first times out.

When learned you can of course go down to much smaller sizes that sink, especially if windy.

But rider weight + 10 litres is a very good target in my experience, and you can also start with this size for learning, if you are a bit skilled.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Glice227 (Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”