Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 am

I got my new wingfoil board from Takoon today (a 90 litre Comet 5'4), and also got their belt coil leash.

Maaaaan, I will NEVER use a foot leash anymore.

No more stepping on the leash, no more getting it stuck beetween your toes :thumb:
Yes, using a normal footleash, one can with experience easily get it free under the foot - but I also somehow get the leash trapped between my toes on occasion - aaaargh, bugger, and I can not get free without stopping :o

With the belt coil leash there is no dangling under the board or noise when hitting chop (or the board) - silent :D

Have only been out this very first day (5-6 hours), but have found no disadvantages whatsoever (maybe you look like a monkey with a curly tail? If so, I can live with that..) , so can only recommend this type of leash.

Dont know who make belt leashes, asssume there must be some, and many more to come now :rollgrin:

Maybe some can list the manufacturers of these?

Another plus is you can easily attach/detach leash with one hand when you stand on the beach with wing in the other hand, not always possible to do with a foot leash.

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dangavere
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: The sandy ones
Style: Wave, Wing Foil, Whitewater SUP
Gear: Fanatic Duotone
Brand Affiliation: Fanatic and Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Belt leash highly recommended!

Postby dangavere » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:00 am

ION Water has a nice waist belt that I have been using for a could years and love it for WIng Foiling.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 am

How do you like the Comet?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 am

Yep, I use a waist leash... but for the wing. It's the only way if you want to do wing pass tacks.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 am
How do you like the Comet?

Loving it, the 5'4 is more than sufficient size, but light and short so turns well and tight radius.

A 5'0 with 80 litre could work too when wind as on my first day here, but would not be as good when wind drops and having to get ashore non foiling, so the 5'4 is perfect allround for my 78 kg.

Having the board grip handle on the bottom side is the only right way, and you can walk easily with the gear now:

It is really stable because of its width, when you have to stand up, and feels light in the air.
6.5 kg is just fine for a production board 894 euro :thumb: Measured mine to 6.6 kg on an inaccurate bathroom scale, thats fine :naughty:

Top deck almost flat, nice to make flying jibes on, and the thin deckpad is super grippy.

Really happy with this board indeed.

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 am

windmaker wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 am
Yep, I use a waist leash... but for the wing. It's the only way if you want to do wing pass tacks.

How much longer does the leash need to be, when using a waist leash instead of wrist, for the wing?
A small meter / 3 feet maybe, or?

Have a hard time seeing how you make normal jibes without it getting in the way when swinging the wing around, but maybe one has to try, if you say it works overall :D

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Belt/Waist leash highly recommended!

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi Peter,
Which Gong wings are you using? Mast length?
I'm considering giving this a try. 78 kg dry.
Was thinking Gong Pro XL, surf 40 cm stab. 70-80 mast ( I have already 90 and 100cm carbon masts and surf 40 stab
Have not figured out board. Might make one, as have a 7-2 sup already shaped. And all the materials on hand. I've read I should have 100L.
What wing size should I start with 5m2?

I read on gong site, I can stick with my 90 and 100cm mast. I should get pro xl and 45cm surf stab, ( can I get away with 40cm surf I already have ?)
Was thinking about getting 5-3 Hipe inflatable (110L) or Flint 5-8 ( 110L).
What do you think?

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:50 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 am
I got my new wingfoil board from Takoon today (a 90 litre Comet 5'4), and also got their belt coil leash.

Maaaaan, I will NEVER use a foot leash anymore.

No more stepping on the leash, no more getting it stuck beetween your toes :thumb:
Yes, using a normal footleash, one can with experience easily get it free under the foot - but I also somehow get the leash trapped between my toes on occasion - aaaargh, bugger, and I can not get free without stopping :o

With the belt coil leash there is no dangling under the board or noise when hitting chop (or the board) - silent :D

Have only been out this very first day (5-6 hours), but have found no disadvantages whatsoever (maybe you look like a monkey with a curly tail? If so, I can live with that..) , so can only recommend this type of leash.

Dont know who make belt leashes, asssume there must be some, and many more to come now :rollgrin:

Maybe some can list the manufacturers of these?

Another plus is you can easily attach/detach leash with one hand when you stand on the beach with wing in the other hand, not always possible to do with a foot leash.

8) Peter
100% the waist leash’s work really well winging.In my brief winging experience less drag the better much more critical than kitefoiling or supfoiling,I use a Axis waist leash with old dakine slider hook on Velcro webbing works well for time being until sine company comes out with a nice winging leash/harness hook as you don’t need a harness like a kiting harness way overkill winging light is king IMO and minimal drag! Looks like nice set up Peter that takoon board your in your way,bottom handle really helps winging getting out in swell way to go!
Attachments
B6AF9C9A-1303-4DD3-B743-82D279610C9C.jpeg
376F9B00-3D52-4056-A14D-3B43D5460A20.jpeg
66E53D48-C4F8-4F02-A84D-5E15E057E001.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi Peter,
Which Gong wings are you using? Mast length?
I'm considering giving this a try. 78 kg dry.
Was thinking Gong Pro XL, surf 40 cm stab. 70-80 mast ( I have already 90 and 100cm carbon masts and surf 40 stab
Have not figured out board. Might make one, as have a 7-2 sup already shaped. And all the materials on hand. I've read I should have 100L.
What wing size should I start with 5m2?

I read on gong site, I can stick with my 90 and 100cm mast. I should get pro xl and 45cm surf stab, ( can I get away with 40cm surf I already have ?)
Was thinking about getting 5-3 Hipe inflatable (110L) or Flint 5-8 ( 110L).
What do you think?

Hi Tom

I am using a Pro XL wing, 80 cm mast, and the 229 cm2 surf stab - as I wanted the most lively wingfoil possible.

A 90 cm mast will work just fine also, use your current mast.

I am not convinced about inflatables myself, but could be wrong, so can not comment...
100 litre is needed for easy learning yes, but if a wide board, you can soon get away with 80 to 90 litres.

A 5 m2 is the wing size you need.

Later a 4 if you get into riding waves, or just get "bitten" like most do, and want to get out in more wind also.

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:10 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 am
windmaker wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 am

How much longer does the leash need to be, when using a waist leash instead of wrist, for the wing?
A small meter / 3 feet maybe, or?

Have a hard time seeing how you make normal jibes without it getting in the way when swinging the wing around, but maybe one has to try, if you say it works overall :D

8) Peter
Added 30cm to the original leash. "Normal" Jibing is no problem at all.

Return to “Wingsurfing”