Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingfoiling Harness

Forum for wing surfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Wingfoiling Harness

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 am

I'm starting this topic because I can't find any others that cover it. There a fair few that mention waist leashes and stuff but nothing specifically about harnesses.

The wingers that I know that use harnesses say they're "a game changer" so I'm guessing commercial products will appear sooner or later and we'll be queuing up to buy them.

Here's my wish list:

- I don't want to use a kite or windsurf harness. They're way overkill for winging. The appeal of winging is riding with "nothing" on you so a harness needs to be sort of "next to nothing".

- I am envisaging and overgrown padded belt with a number of attachment points for board and kite leashes and your choice of back, front, left right attachment.

- There should be some kind of simple quick releases on the leash so that I can quickly attach/detach on the beach. Nothing hard and metal. Nothing that will corrode. Nothing that will self-release by accident.

- I want a hook, but I think it needs to be plastic or composite or anything not steel. I don't want anything hard that is going to knock a hole in my board. It should be removable and have either no spreader, or a minimal spreader. My first few years of windsurfing we had a life jacket with a simple hook on a bit of webbing. It worked fine.

- I think a zip pocket would be useful. Just something simple that I can put in a tool for the foil and a few odds and ends. Maybe a strap for securing the board or the wing or whatever for the walk of shame.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wingfoiling Harness

Postby ieism » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:18 am

What you're describing is a climbing harness. Buy one on Craigslist for 10$ and find out that but works perfectly.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
joekitetime (Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm

I don’t think I would ever use a harness unless I was doing some very extended upwind reaches for some particular reason. The hook always scratches the board. Just another piece of equipment. Holding the wing builds arm strength.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm

I just slide the dakine maniac's hook over my waist leash and instant harness. My friends like the Dakine chameleon harness since it's very soft with little weight.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Snow kite harnesses by Ozone are lite weight and comfortable, and should work.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:08 pm

slingshotucf wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm
I just slide the dakine maniac's hook over my waist leash and instant harness. My friends like the Dakine chameleon harness since it's very soft with little weight.
Ideally the Maniac hook would be reshaped to be more like a windsurf hook.
reshaped maniac bar and hook s.png
I have now cut the Maniac hook down and re-bent it. I have given it a slight hammerhead to help keep the line on the shortened hook. It's mounted on an OR Session harness.
dakinemaniaccutdowns.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 pm

I agree, that many kite harnesses could be a bit oversized. But on the other hand if you start riding realy well powered and want to go upwind for some km, you may come to the conclusion that a slim climbing belt could become unconfortable, at least my experience from time I was riding lowpowered but hooked with kite.

For winging I actually use an 20 year old neilpryde waist harness, still in perfect shape, and don't see too much reason to search for anything else. To me it works also well switched without any slider.
hooked-winging-switched.jpg
The only additionaly specific demand for winging to me could be to have a good connector for the board strap, that is independend from the hook, for the case that this brakes, to not additionally lose the board.

And if you are looking for something inbetween climbing belt and windsurfing you may find quite some ultra light harnesses, as for example this which I think could be interesting for winging and low powered mostly unhooked kitefoiling:

https://www.flycolibri.com/hammock/

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:36 am

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 am

F6BF0853-4D2C-4BC1-8919-E86D4E2364A3.jpeg
DB0CFAA0-5416-4C53-B5FE-C2DBA9769755.jpeg
Keep it simple sailors I’m 225 and this works great simple light and flexible to not damage board,sure can be better down the line which I’m sure we will see in next 3-6 months but works well for me,your up windability will increase similar to kitefoil angles

Return to “Wingsurfing”