Brand Affiliation: None.

Wingsurfing vs Windsurfing

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wingsurfing vs Windsurfing

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Blimey, it looks SO wrong that the wingfoiler does not jibe, but ride toeside instead, for long tacks :roll:

Learn to jibe :rollgrin:

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:47 pm

So what's this video about?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 am

great drone views.

should rip those groins out sooo ugly, no beach there anyway!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm
Blimey, it looks SO wrong that the wingfoiler does not jibe, but ride toeside instead, for long tacks :roll:

8) Peter
While it's fairly uncommon in kite foiling to see riders who don't switch feet (though I have been one of them), I think you will see this more often in wingfoiling -- because it is more of a crossover from surf foiling and also for surfers as an introduction to wind sports. Most surfers don't switch feet ever and they tend to bring this into winging too. If you are carving across the wind in the wave zone, then staying in dominant position and riding heelside/toeside is definitely preferred. But for long reaches, I agree it is definitely preferable to switch feet, more efficient upwinding and also easier on the body, not as twisted and rest the muscles on the one side. Toeside riding is a crucial skill, as it is what opens up carving in waves. Foot switching is nice-to-have. :wink:

Though I will resuscitate my argument about nerdy sailing semantics: a gybe/jibe is a downwind turn across the wind. The switching of feet is not required, the turn is still a gybe if you come out of it toeside. That's windsurfing mentality, where a foot switch is mandatory -- sailboats don't have feet, and wingers/kiters can switch feet or not through their gybe. But I also recognize I am the minority in this, possibly the only person in the world who cares. :roll: :lol:
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
loco4viento (Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:00 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
While it's fairly uncommon in kite foiling to see riders who don't switch feet (though I have been one of them), I think you will see this more often in wingfoiling -- because it is more of a crossover from surf foiling and also for surfers as an introduction to wind sports. Most surfers don't switch feet ever and they tend to bring this into winging too. If you are carving across the wind in the wave zone, then staying in dominant position and riding heelside/toeside is definitely preferred. But for long reaches, I agree it is definitely preferable to switch feet, more efficient upwinding and also easier on the body, not as twisted and rest the muscles on the one side. Toeside riding is a crucial skill, as it is what opens up carving in waves. Foot switching is nice-to-have. :wink:

Though I will resuscitate my argument about nerdy sailing semantics: a gybe/jibe is a downwind turn across the wind. The switching of feet is not required, the turn is still a gybe if you come out of it toeside. That's windsurfing mentality, where a foot switch is mandatory -- sailboats don't have feet, and wingers/kiters can switch feet or not through their gybe. But I also recognize I am the minority in this, possibly the only person in the world who cares. :roll: :lol:
I agree entirely with this. In a wave area, I will ride goofyfoot nearly all the time. I grew up surfing, and I prefer to ride waves goofyfoot. However, going upwind or in flat water, I switch feet to ride heelside 95% of the time on the kite and wing.

And yes, I can gybe my J/70 without moving my feet (though, typically I move across the boat, its not required).
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
juandesooka (Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Well, to me it sounds like arguing for the sake of the argue.

One can always defend strict semantics yes.

But in reality it is all about us understanding each other.

Just like one could argue it is called a "strut" and not a mast.

But everyone knows what a mast is, on a hydrofoil, so makes sense to use as common expression.

Same goes when I say one should jibe instead of just carve, everyone knows what is meant, and a lot easier than using many words.

We can never agree on this one though, I know... :cry:

8) Peter

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:03 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter

I agree and care. Well stated.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
juandesooka (Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 pm)

Return to “Wingsurfing”