Duotone Echo bag?

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone Echo bag?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Just one, maybe stupid, question:

Is the bag ONLY so small as shown in videos, or can you roll it up on the boom in a full length bag?

I never need it to pack small, but I definitely always roll my wings up around the boom, maybe slightly disconnected at the front, so it can go in the car in the bag full length, and super fast to rig the next day or next session on the same day :thumb:

Otherwise it just have to stick out from the bag, but not a good solution.

My Ullman wing can be packed both super short without the boom, OR, in full length with the boom - THAT is the way to do it :rollgrin:

I know it is an almost ridiculous detail, but would like to know.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Horst Sergio (Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Duotone Echo bag?

Postby Dave K » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 am

I have 6,5,4, and 3.3m Echo’s. I never leave the boom attached to the wing and Duotone recommends not doing it. It only takes a few seconds to remove the boom and store it separately. Same thing about rolling the wings up. I can roll a wing up and fold it in half for the Echo bags even quicker than I could roll up the original Duotones and stuff them in those full length bags. Those long bags and those full length battens were a hassle to deal with.

I don’t like packing wings or kites wet so after a session I generally just roll the wing up and throw it in the back of the truck without packing it in the bag. When I get home I’ll hang it up in the garage to dry . After it’s dry I’ll either re-roll it and pack it in the bag,.....or just roll it up and put it back in the truck for the next session

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks !

Bugger, have to find another way then, maybe a new bag.

Of course they write you should not leave the boom attached, eventhough it does not matter, as then they are home safe if something goes wrong eventhough it would be your own fault :wink:

Got so many kitefoils and surfboards in my car, that I usually like to have some protection on the wings when rolled up, so they dont get cut from fins/foils.

I also roll the wings wet sometimes, when leaving, just on top of everything, and they will dry themeselves eventually - but sometimes I need to protect a bit more.
Never take the booms off, maybe I disconnect the two front connection lines if I store the "old" Duotone V1 fully in the bag, yes, but thats it.

My wingfoil (board+foil) is always fully assembled in the car, otherwise it would be a hassle to mount every time, these 4 screws no way I want to use time on that :naughty:

But you are right, the full length bags are too thin in the end for the V1's, for a quick full packdown yes, they should be made conical like the Ullman's.

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Peter,

fully agree with all you have said. I have hoped for a bit better bag for the Echo with a shoulder belt, a pocket for spares and repair set and in the best case an elongation of the bag for the much faster packing: to just fold it side on side with one swing of the boom and then role it fast up, keeping the boom mainly attachted and parallel to the role. I also don't worry for the tube rolled close to the hard boom front end.
But unfortunately the bag of Echo is as simple as it could be.

Of Topic:
The Ullman looks very interesting to me, especially as the secound and only manufacturer I know using a boom the way as Duotone, could you, better in a new topic, give some comparisons as:
- Maybe you know if Ullman and Duotone booms able to be combined in both directions with the wings of the other manufacturer, with some or how much tinkering?
- You have the Ullman Falcon? What is your impression about power per m² in comparison to other wings. (I have actually an 6 m² Echo and V1 Duotone 3 m² and a 4,2 m² Falcon at least by math, would fit pretty perfect inbetween)
- How does the Falcon behave in the surf? The Duotone V1 roles pretty much, the Echo less but I think is not as good as wings with handles as the one from Ozone. Thought it could be a bit a problem by weight of the boom.
- Haven't seen numbers about the Ullman boom but would expext they build it the intelligent way: One boom for all sizes, right and can you give the range?

Thanks a lot.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm

I just roll mine up and put it into a surfboard bag. Excellent protection.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm
I just roll mine up and put it into a surfboard bag. Excellent protection.

You are right, I did that once, when it was all wet, once when my surfboard was under the other stuff so had this bag free, works great.

Quite big, but definitely a good and superfast way, and you don't squeeze the wing either so you don't have to remove the boom at all, not even loosen at the front :thumb:

Will get some extra of these, ha haa, thanks for reminding - the answer was already there.

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”