Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Low Volume Wingfoil Waterstart (Step By Step)

Forum for wing surfers
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

The Low Volume Wingfoil Waterstart (Step By Step)

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:30 pm

The LOW Volume Wingfoil Waterstart is DIFFICULT! In this episode, "The Mayor" takes us through a step by step tutorial towards his journey of eventual success.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Re: The Low Volume Wingfoil Waterstart (Step By Step)

Postby foilfun » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Yes, Horst, I'm foiling it mono. I actually found monofoiling it much easier to do than getting on that little monster. Nice video work, OK Kiteboarder! 🤙🏻
Attachments
WP_20200830_15_27_56_Pro.jpg

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 pm

:thumb: Agree,
in Windfoiling, I am not sure, but think for most a stabi could be better, in Kitefoiling IMHO it is already more on the monofoil side.

But for Winging, a stabi doesn't make to much sense, especially if future monowings will be better pumpable. But if you start jumping and for rotation tricks like the airjibe or the flaka you just don't want something with moment of inertia on your foot.
Kitejunkie-Wingfoil-Flaka.jpg

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:30 pm
The LOW Volume Wingfoil Waterstart is DIFFICULT! In this episode, "The Mayor" takes us through a step by step tutorial towards his journey of eventual success.
Thanks for the video. Great instruction, lots of detail, great footage!

I'm 175# and although I've ridden my alien air 3 times winging (twice I was up and riding, once I could never get up due to light winds and a small wing) I do ride a 50 liter board, my day in and day out board.

I watched the video carefully and would add some comments. You nailed it on the "crux" of the manuever, but I would not perform the waterstart as you describe regarding putting a foot up. This is what I do which I think is much better. Bear in mind that it didn't take me months to learn this, I was able to do this on the first day.

Paddle out. It is a great workout, and for someone like me who has had 2 shoulder surgerys it is good for the shoulders. (wing trails behind upside down).
Once out, sit on the board like a surfer in the lineup (because you are a surfer, and you are in the lineup!)
Make sure your leashes are not wrapped around your legs.
Flip your wing.
Bunch up your wing leash in your hand, and also grab the depower strap on your wing, while it lays in the water...
While simultaneously swinging your legs under your board to get to your knees, use the hand holding the wing to grab the nose of the board, and use the other hand opposit the hand holding the wing the also grab the nose of the board on the other side. This should be a pretty stable position. You should find you want to be slightly aft, allowing the nose of the board to want to come up a bit. Be a tad too far back. Spread your knees as far as you possibly can on the board and push your chest as close to the board as you can get it. By holding the wing the nose can't go under water, and the weight of the wing helps you not wheelie too severely. This position is easy to get here and you can sit all day long like this.
THE CRUX MANUEVER: Now is the trick part and it takes 3 seconds. I usually just say 1, 2, 3 go. With the hand that is holding the depower strap of the wing, lift it out of the water, and grab the closest strap you can with the other hand. Lunge forward a bit to keep from wheelieing. Within 1-3 seconds you should be able to lift the wing enough for it to catch a little wind. Once you catch the wind with the wing you can lean forward against the wing while it is trying to lift. You just created a balance point to lean against.
Once I'm leaning against the wing I move it aft which then points the board into the wind. Then I pass the wing further overhead and sheet in, still on my knees. I gently pump the wing untill the board gets to the surface of the water. I don't stand before the board gets to the surface, but when the board gets to the surface then you can stand, one leg at a time like the traditional knee start.
If you can't get the board to come to the surface then you are flying a wing too small for the conditions, regarding of the board volume.
The crux is going from the balanced knee position on the board to lifting the wing enough for it to catch some wind (just like in your video). But that part is 1-3 seconds. For me this works every time.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post (total 2):
Horst Sergio (Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:49 pm) • phlow (Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:03 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Thanks for the video. Great instruction, lots of detail, great footage!

I'm 175# and although I've ridden my alien air 3 times winging (twice I was up and riding, once I could never get up due to light winds and a small wing) I do ride a 50 liter board, my day in and day out board.

I watched the video carefully and would add some comments. You nailed it on the "crux" of the manuever, but I would not perform the waterstart as you describe regarding putting a foot up. This is what I do which I think is much better. Bear in mind that it didn't take me months to learn this, I was able to do this on the first day.

Paddle out. It is a great workout, and for someone like me who has had 2 shoulder surgerys it is good for the shoulders. (wing trails behind upside down).
Once out, sit on the board like a surfer in the lineup (because you are a surfer, and you are in the lineup!)
Make sure your leashes are not wrapped around your legs.
Flip your wing.
Bunch up your wing leash in your hand, and also grab the depower strap on your wing, while it lays in the water...
While simultaneously swinging your legs under your board to get to your knees, use the hand holding the wing to grab the nose of the board, and use the other hand opposit the hand holding the wing the also grab the nose of the board on the other side. This should be a pretty stable position. You should find you want to be slightly aft, allowing the nose of the board to want to come up a bit. Be a tad too far back. Spread your knees as far as you possibly can on the board and push your chest as close to the board as you can get it. By holding the wing the nose can't go under water, and the weight of the wing helps you not wheelie too severely. This position is easy to get here and you can sit all day long like this.
THE CRUX MANUEVER: Now is the trick part and it takes 3 seconds. I usually just say 1, 2, 3 go. With the hand that is holding the depower strap of the wing, lift it out of the water, and grab the closest strap you can with the other hand. Lunge forward a bit to keep from wheelieing. Within 1-3 seconds you should be able to lift the wing enough for it to catch a little wind. Once you catch the wind with the wing you can lean forward against the wing while it is trying to lift. You just created a balance point to lean against.
Once I'm leaning against the wing I move it aft which then points the board into the wind. Then I pass the wing further overhead and sheet in, still on my knees. I gently pump the wing untill the board gets to the surface of the water. I don't stand before the board gets to the surface, but when the board gets to the surface then you can stand, one leg at a time like the traditional knee start.
If you can't get the board to come to the surface then you are flying a wing too small for the conditions, regardless of the board volume.
The crux is going from the balanced knee position on the board to lifting the wing enough for it to catch some wind (just like in your video). But that part is 1-3 seconds. For me this works every time.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post (total 2):
windmaker (Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:18 am) • irwe (Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:23 am)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 am

Also watched the video carefully. Although I already do low volume waterstarts indicating the volume of the boards without mentionning rider weight means nothing, It 's all related.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Eltreato (Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:11 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:04 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 am
Also watched the video carefully. Although I already do low volume waterstarts indicating the volume of the boards without mentionning rider weight means nothing, It 's all related.
Windmaker the rider’s weight is listed when his profile is presented on the screen (155 lbs)
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post (total 2):
windmaker (Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:19 pm) • Peter_Frank (Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 pm)

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:42 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Okkiteboarder wrote:

THE CRUX MANUEVER: Now is the trick part and it takes 3 seconds. I usually just say 1, 2, 3 go. With the hand that is holding the depower strap of the wing, lift it out of the water, and grab the closest strap you can with the other hand.

Joekitetime -

Trying to visualize this:

(1) How and when do you go from lineup sitting to being on your knees? Hard for me to visualize without also both hands on the nose for stability, almost like getting up on a surfboard to your knees?

(2) CRUX MANEUVER: I'm normally holding wing on the water downwind of board with my downwind hand on the nose. This hand will end up needing to be my back hand, and I reach to the front strap with my upwind hand and quickly move downwind hand from nose loop to middle or back strap (3 strap F-One Swing). Is this what you are saying, or something different?

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:51 pm

This is me getting up on a 44 liter board
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post (total 3):
windmaker (Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 pm) • loco4viento (Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm) • phlow (Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:06 am)
Rating: 9.09%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:56 pm

phlow wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:42 pm
joekitetime wrote:
Okkiteboarder wrote:

(1) How and when do you go from lineup sitting to being on your knees? Hard for me to visualize without also both hands on the nose for stability, almost like getting up on a surfboard to your knees?

(2) CRUX MANEUVER: I'm normally holding wing on the water downwind of board with my downwind hand on the nose. This hand will end up needing to be my back hand, and I reach to the front strap with my upwind hand and quickly move downwind hand from nose loop to middle or back strap (3 strap F-One Swing). Is this what you are saying, or something different?
I see your questions, but then saw the video posted after your question, and the video was perfect, and awesome! It contains all the answers, but I'll also try to add some text to it.

Getting on your knees from sitting is super easy. In fact, oftentimes if I'm in a hurry I don't even bother going to the sitting position, but straight to the knees. Since the board is a sinker it is below the water line which makes it easier. But if I am sitting, I simply swing my legs back while holding the nose of the board with at least one hand, or both. My board oftentimes goes nearly vertical for a second at this point. That is from the surfing days where you do the same manuever, trying to momentarily sink the board then paddle hard on the pop back up to catch a wave. I kinda rock back which sinks the tail more and brings the nose up, and while the tail is sinking put my weight on my hands/arms holding the nose and swing my legs under me so that my knees end up on the very spot on the board I want them, towards the middle.

Once on your knees, keeping your body condensed and as low as possible, and weight slightly back so that you wheelie a little, you are in a semi-balanced position which, especially as you get better, you can hold indefinantly. But to transfer that balance to the wing takes a very brief moment of transition. Initially it does not matter which hand is on the depower handle of the wing. And it is easy to switch. Lifting the wing and catching wind is the crux. Onces you can catch some wind you can then use the wing for balance.

If the wing is lightly powered it is more difficult to stand, and if the wing is very powered it is much easier to get to your feet.

I girate / pump the wing back and forth with my arms. As you get better these strokes will produce more power and become more efficient. Those strokes help with balance because they give you something to lean against.

It is difficult to explain but exactly like what is shown on that video I reference!

I hope that helps some!

You get better and it gets easier. Now I hardly think twice where it used to take some concentration.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
phlow (Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”