Forum for wing surfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Winging is half-assed kite foiling - discuss

Postby Flyboy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Put another way, kite foiling is half assed winging. Kite foiling is so easy, requires so little physical effort or mental attention, that it makes me sleepy and dream of doing other things while I do it. Winging, on the other hand, requires more physical effort and mental energy, so it is a great way to break the boredom of kite foiling. Sure, I bust out my kite when I'm tired and don't feel like putting in the energy of winging. Kite foiling is half assed, easy peasy, kinda boring, a good way to relax and catch some rays on a relaxing afternoon. But, then I man up and go out for a workout, winging, and feel much better about doing it!
That just sounds like you're a more experienced kite foiler than wing foiler. Kite foiling certainly isn't easy when you're learning. I agree it appears to take a lot less effort when you're skilled ... although I still notice considerable fatigue after a decent kite foiling session.

Good video from Robby Naish:

What I find disappointing is he doesn't really "surf" any waves/swell - more or less just rides downwind ... although it is described as a "speed test". Noticeable how wingers seem to completely outnumber windsurfers & Kiters at Kanaha.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
joekitetime (Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Noticeable how wingers seem to completely outnumber windsurfers & Kiters at Kanaha.
Same going on here in the Gorge. Now that most of the tourists are gone, there's almost nothing but wings out at the Hatchery :thumb:
The only half assed aspect I see is wingers trying to get 'air'. Unless you're going for the back loop, keep it on the water, looks pathetic compared to kite air :lol:

Robby's put out a few enjoyable videos lately. He seems to just be genuinely enjoying himself. He's showing speeds that are exactly what I'd expect from an 810 sqcm kite wing and a 4.6. None of this 37mph BS...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:11 am

Thatspeck wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 am
Flyboy wrote:
Noticeable how wingers seem to completely outnumber windsurfers & Kiters at Kanaha.
Same going on here in the Gorge. Now that most of the tourists are gone, there's almost nothing but wings out at the Hatchery :thumb:
The only half assed aspect I see is wingers trying to get 'air'. Unless you're going for the back loop, keep it on the water, looks pathetic compared to kite air :lol:

Robby's put out a few enjoyable videos lately. He seems to just be genuinely enjoying himself. He's showing speeds that are exactly what I'd expect from an 810 sqcm kite wing and a 4.6. None of this 37mph BS...
Robby's going off the wind, which seems to me what wing foiling excels at (I haven't actually tried it myself). I'm imagining going upwind isn't nearly as effortless as it is with a kite? Not getting around it: winging looks unnatural & weird IMO. Like something out of a sci fi movie.

I can see that the Gorge would be a perfect location for winging: constant swell to ride rather than breaking waves.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 am

I can't believe the acceleration of this sport... it is like even in the last 4 weeks the numbers have tripled!

The Maui kite beach cam even . . wtf!!

ALL the kite foilers, the prone and sup foilers, and the windsurfers... it's an invasion!

Surprised how well they managed to get out though some pretty big closeouts.

Still like watching a 2 second animated gif loop - similar to kite foiling though.

Going to have to borrow one and give it a go.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:07 am

finally all the kiters who go back and forth will have their own sport .. and the spot will be less crowded .. I hope it will increase more and more so there will be more space to jump and maneuver :naughty:

adriatic
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Puglia, Italy
Gear: Moses, Flysurfer, Gong, F-one
*For sale:
Peak4 5m: €400,
Peak4 4m: €350,
Moses Onda 633/483 with 75cm ALU mast: €600 with covers,
All in perfect shape.

Postby adriatic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:18 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm
Damn man. Just because you pick it up like you're skipping rope doesn't mean the rest of us can. It's hard!

I might pick up wing surfing after I get my unhooked mobe down. Only so many hours in a day
My take is that it's harder than kiting (and easier than sup foiling) from a fitness standpoint only.

So if one isn't really fit, it may seem to be more technical than kite foiling or nailing an unhooked trick, even though it really isn't?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Surfkiternew wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:07 am
finally all the kiters who go back and forth will have their own sport .. and the spot will be less crowded .. I hope it will increase more and more so there will be more space to jump and maneuver :naughty:
Are you talking about "freestyle" kiters? The ones who never go more than 200 metres from shore? The great thing about foiling is it opens up a whole new expanse of easily accessed water. In a typical kite foiling session I will go 4 or 5 kilometres upwind & then ride the swells back. I can see that winging opens up areas for surfing that would not be accessible paddling.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Flyboy wrote:
This makes sense as there are 0 tourists in Hawaii right now, it's 100% locals. If we all had the conditions Maui has we'd all probably be in to wing surfing. Same reason it's so popular in Aus. If the conditions are good for it, it looks great. The reality is that most of us don't have legit waves with 15+ knots of wind every day.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:56 pm

One of the popular spots is a small lake...

noooo way you could ever kite there waaay to gusty and no safe launching..

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 pm
The reality is that most of us don't have legit waves with 15+ knots of wind every day.
Take yesterday for example, first fall frontal system pushing through in our region. This beach is pretty much the go to kite / windsurf spot for these conditions. We had about 40 kites out, about 12 windsurfers and 4 wingers (first time seeing that many). Wind was pretty up and down and very gusty at times.

Most of the kiters had a pretty great session. Watching the wingers they seemed to spend about equal time in the water as they did actually riding. The times they were riding it seemed like they were struggling to stay upwind and never once did I see one remotely close to actually riding a wave or even gliding without sail power (which is the whole reason to wing IMO). For the second session the wind kicked up to 25g30 knots and the 5m and 6m wingers were all blown off the water, meanwhile I was able to stay out on my 9m + SB for the entire day, ranging from 12-30 knots.

One of the big problems for the wingers was the floating weeds, but it's pretty common knowledge that you just need to go about 600m out from shore and they die right down, yet only 1 of the 4 wingers went out there. Where the waves are actually breaking is closer to shore so if you want breaking waves you'll have to deal with weeds and potential ground strikes (it's pretty soft sand though).

I chatted with two of the wingers in the big lull and both said that what appealed to them about winging was that it was something new. One was both kiter/windsurfer and the other kiter.

Here's the conditions, waves weren't very good for what the spot can deliver:

Return to “Wingsurfing”