ericmsil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Brazil/Floripa
Gear: kitesurf,hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Wow sails

Postby ericmsil » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:01 pm

A guy here in brazil developed a sail for skateboarding. i found the cool idea. it can serve as a great simulator for the wing
in the land.

Best regards

Eric.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Last edited by ericmsil on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: wing skate - land wing

Postby irwe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 am

I currently use my small Wings for land use inbetween Water and Ice seasons (late Spring and Fall) . I wonder how the Wow would fly on a tether and how well it goes upwind compared to a Wing
Attachments
image1 (8).jpeg
image1 (8).jpeg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

ericmsil
Rare Poster

Postby ericmsil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:02 pm

irwe wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 am
I currently use my small Wings for land use inbetween Water and Ice seasons (late Spring and Fall) . I wonder how the Wow would fly on a tether and how well it goes upwind compared to a Wing
Hi irwe.

good question!

with skate I haven't been with either one yet. just because of smaller shape it seemed lighter and easier to maneuver and the price was much more affordable to use in cold weather.

sizes 1,2 e 2,2 m2

Best regards

Eric

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm

http://wowsails.com.br/#!/wowsails

Price is nice. Can someone translate what the G and P options are on the website? Google translate is failing to open the popup window.

ericmsil
Rare Poster

Postby ericmsil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
http://wowsails.com.br/#!/wowsails

Price is nice. Can someone translate what the G and P options are on the website? Google translate is failing to open the popup window.
hi jakemoore.

remembering that I have nothing to do with the brand and I'm not advertising I just thought the idea was cool.

atached tech specs. of wow sails

e-mail thomaslaptop@gmail.com

WhatsApp +5551 8144-0707

best regards:

Eric
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 15.24.02.jpeg

B-Roc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nahant, MA
Style: Kite landboarding and skiing
Gear: Gin, JOJO, Mac Para, Ozone, Flexifoil, Ground Industries, MBS

Postby B-Roc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm

How do the kitewings manage in inland winds? I’m a kite landboarder who flies at the beach and I have borrowed/flown Skimbat KiteWings in the past on nuking days in smooth winds at the beach. Wings have interested me since the early 2000s for kite skating in the winter but I’ve never pulled the trigger and the new inflatos seem a lost easier than the old fixed-frame wings. Anyway, if I was to pair a wing with a longboard skateboard to ride in a parking lot, how would the wing perform and hold up? If it drags a bit on the asphalt, is it trashed or will it be in need of an almost instant repair? Do wings handle unpredictable inland gusts and lulls? My assumption is they would be easier to manage if I were to use it in a parking lot on high wind days when I’d just have to manage the lulls as opposed to low wind days when managing the occasional gust. Are they worth the investment or really only good on high wind or steady/constant wind days?

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:46 pm

The WoW sails are now available in Germany for testing!
Just send a short note...
For more details visit Instagram.

Or get in contact with Thomas in Brasil.
+55 (51) 98144-0707

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Wowsails – FAQs (google translation)
- What are the candle sizes? 2.2 (G) - 220 x 120cm / 1.2 (D) - 130 x 120cm.
- What are the materials of the candle? The candle consists of polyethylene film panels sewn in a cross stitch with nylon thread in a shape similar to a wing. Pultruded fiber splints are embedded at the ends, in bags of the same film. The central bar consists of two aluminum tubes with connections that are easy to fit and precise to stretch the sail. The connections at the ends of the aluminum tubes are made of black polyacetal and are resistant to strong wind forces. There is a stainless steel pin with a clip at one end that allows adjustment in the curvature of the wing, just changing the hole in the polyacetal connection. The bar that has two connections also serves to stretch the candle P, if you have purchased the combo. The bag is sewn entirely with nylon, including the handle, so that you can pack the equipment, be resistant and at the same time fit in your pocket or carry it around your waist.
- Which candle to use according to the weight of each person? size 2.2 (G) for people over 60 kg and size 1.2 (P) for people under 60 kg.
- Which sail to use according to the intensity of the wind? For people over 60kg, we recommend using G sail with winds from 32 km / h (16 knots). For this wind we also recommend using P sail for people under 60kg. With winds above 40 km / h we recommend using P sail for people over 60kg.
- What is the weight of the candle? size 2.2 (L) - 2kg / size 1.2 (D) - 1.5kg.
- How to put the candle in motion together with the skateboard? Position the sail sideways to the body in neutral mode and give two impulse pedaling with the skateboard to cancel the pressure on the sail and generate the ideal speed for the sail to generate power with the wind.
- What is the front of the candle? The candle has a wing shape and has a seam that divides it into smaller panels and larger panels. The smaller panels must be facing forward to obtain the best result. If we walk with the inverted sail it will also work but with less speed. Front / Front and Rear / Fund inscriptions should facilitate the identification of correct use.
- Is this candle suitable for use with Standup or any activity in the water? The sail was idealized to practice sport in places paved with skate, roller, skates, skis with wheels, dirtybike, trike among other options that keep their hands free to handle the sail. It can also be used with ice skates and skis and large-wheeled skates on hard sand beaches. We do not recommend using it in the water, but we are testing it with a foil keel board.

Nem0
Frequent Poster

Postby Nem0 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 am

This week I had my first testride with a longboard at round about 10 knots.
The wind starts me moving and it worked really well!
In gusts it was really fun so I’m looking forward for the next more windy days! 🤙🏽

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:09 pm

B-Roc wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm
How do the kitewings manage in inland winds? I’m a kite landboarder who flies at the beach and I have borrowed/flown Skimbat KiteWings in the past on nuking days in smooth winds at the beach. Wings have interested me since the early 2000s for kite skating in the winter but I’ve never pulled the trigger and the new inflatos seem a lost easier than the old fixed-frame wings. Anyway, if I was to pair a wing with a longboard skateboard to ride in a parking lot, how would the wing perform and hold up? If it drags a bit on the asphalt, is it trashed or will it be in need of an almost instant repair? Do wings handle unpredictable inland gusts and lulls? My assumption is they would be easier to manage if I were to use it in a parking lot on high wind days when I’d just have to manage the lulls as opposed to low wind days when managing the occasional gust. Are they worth the investment or really only good on high wind or steady/constant wind days?
I have both the original KiteWing (fixed Frame) and Wings (LEI)
For Landboarding, InlineWing, WingSkateboard I use 4 m, 3m , 2m (72 kg)
The Wings rarely touch the asphalt if you are a decent rider and not working on extreme manuvers, it also depends on how tall you are.
I would recommend getting a 4 m (LEI) first unless you are > 65 kgs

Return to “Wingsurfing”