Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Very Strong Winds

Forum for wing surfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Very Strong Winds

Postby OzBungy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 am

I've been having regular sessions in 25-35 knots. It's been kind of fun.

The first step has been to switch to different beaches. My current beach has a heap of shrubs to shelter from the wind and posts to attach the wing and the board to. That has solved the stuff blowing away problem.

Riding is no real problem. Either sheet out or bear off if things are getting a bit hectic. The odd bit of wind induced interpretive dance is quite fun. The 4m wing flaps a bit, but that's ok.

When I fall I keep a firm grip on the wing and keep it down on the water. As long as it's not flopping around then I can fend the board off if necessary.

I find chugging upwind a bit laborious. Long reaches, pinching up when possible. My gybes seem a bit flakey. Once I turn downwind everything gets easy. Swooshy carving gybes, easy wing flips, the odd bit of towing the wing and playing with the waves. All good.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
juandesooka (Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:47 pm

In those winds, I go with a 2.8 and still have tons of power. Up wind speed will increase with a smaller wing. I hope to get something closer to 2 meter for the 2021 season. Once you're on foil, less wing the better.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:09 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 am
I find chugging upwind a bit laborious. Long reaches, pinching up when possible. My gybes seem a bit flakey. Once I turn downwind everything gets easy. Swooshy carving gybes, easy wing flips, the odd bit of towing the wing and playing with the waves. All good.
Higher winds have been a nice surprise, I thought these wings were about light wind, then found out they are way more fun when it's windy -- particularly as the wind swells build up. I do find 30+ becomes a bit of a struggle though, kinda like kiting at 40kts, "survival" mode ... when the line between making it or not becomes fine, can't really take so many chances, riding becomes tight...at least for me.

Anyways, about laborious upwind, I've found a harness really helps take the pressure off, especially in high 20s or in mid to light wind with a big heavy wing. It takes some of strain off your arms, especially in gusts, and allows for a tighter upwind angle, get there faster so you can unhook and carve back downwind. You can feel the wind power transfer direct through your core into the board (reminds me of my early attempts at windsurfing, cool when you feel it). Above 30, though, I feel a bit sketched to lock in.

SophieWaggner83
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 53
Local Beach: Plumb Beach, Brooklyn.
Favorite Beaches: Gilgo / Tobay Beach, Long Island
Style: freestyle
Gear: 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby SophieWaggner83 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Always wondered what top speed anyone had? I just never looked at it, but I would be interested to protest it. How do you do it ??

Return to “Wingsurfing”