Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Video: 3 Key Wingfoiling Tips - Stance, Carving Gybes and the Foot Change

Postby robclaisse » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:26 pm

I'm relatively new to Wingfoiling but the cross over with Kitefoiling gave me a leg up and I can't help but start thinking about ways to teach and coach the various techniques! It's been interesting trying to understand how the foil and wing work together and after a few sessions, I had some lightbulb moments that helped me with my stance, carving gybes and foot changes. So as a follow up to my last blog post I thought I'd make a video to better show some of the key points and hopefully they might be of help to others:

You can also read my original blog post - Learning to Wingfoil: 7 Tips After 7 Days which contains some additional insight on other techniques.

As I say I'm still in the early stages of Wingfoil so would love to know what other tips people have some of these core skills.
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post:
juandesooka (Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:11 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Video: 3 Key Wingfoiling Tips - Stance, Carving Gybes and the Foot Change

Postby Flag53 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting Rob 👍

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.

Postby fluidity » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:58 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:26 pm
I'm relatively new to Wingfoiling but the cross over with Kitefoiling gave me a leg up and I can't help but start thinking about ways to teach and coach the various techniques! It's been interesting trying to understand how the foil and wing work together and after a few sessions, I had some lightbulb moments that helped me with my stance, carving gybes and foot changes. So as a follow up to my last blog post I thought I'd make a video to better show some of the key points and hopefully they might be of help to others:

You can also read my original blog post - Learning to Wingfoil: 7 Tips After 7 Days which contains some additional insight on other techniques.

As I say I'm still in the early stages of Wingfoil so would love to know what other tips people have some of these core skills.
This one on line from back in July shares some of your tips(it's not mine). I had to laugh at my boss last week, we both love the water but when I try to motivate him to get into wingsurf foiling he told me the sport is too new, there's no one to learn from! Where as I feel so privileged to live in an age and with circumstances to buy, design, build my gear and to be able to learn a brand new sport! Some on line, some learning the hard way myself. No one can give us muscle memory, we have to earn it ourselves. Do add into your video some suggestions for learning wing sizes for body weight, wind speed and hydrofoil, air-wing areas. i.e. at 109kg I need about 20 Knots learning on a 1820 sq cm 980mm wingspan thick foil. Which is why I designed and am building another... approx 2500 sqcm area, 1200mm wingspan. And on a crash diet from last Tuesday...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so2oVA2WdGM

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 am

Fluidity: Thanks for posting your learning curve. I feel your pain. Here's my ( 72 kg) set up for 20 kts

Blu Wave 6'6" 127 L, Naish XXL, 4m Gong P2
Attachments
Wing4m.PNG

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly kite foil and wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, Moses 633/483/72cm/82cm, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Echo 6/5/4/3.3m wing-a-dings, SurfMachine 5’1” 90l wing board, Gong Veloce XL/XXL

Postby Dave K » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 am

Rob, great tips! I’ve be winging for about a year after coming from a couple of kitefoil seasons, and years of kiteboarding/windsurfing. Learning new winging skills is just easy compared to kitefoiling, even at my joints-not-what-they-used-to-be-age of 62. Just watched a few videos and put the practice time in.... Once you start on upwind transitions it really adds to the fun. I’m sure the younger riders will advance way faster than me. Flat water riding might seem kinda lame to many forum members here, but it doesn’t take much to keep me happy. Super easy to launch from my boat, and while I can’t quite match my upwind ability when kitefoiling, I come close enough. In the early days I could barely stay upwind....but I guess that goes for the early learning stages for all the wind sports.

(The only time I injured myself was tearing a finger ligament after I missed a “regrab” during a behind-the-back-tack. I didn’t let go of the wing fast enough after the miss. Out for a month. It can be tough on the hands!)

These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
phlow (Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.

Postby fluidity » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 am

irwe wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 am
Fluidity: Thanks for posting your learning curve. I feel your pain. Here's my ( 72 kg) set up for 20 kts

Blu Wave 6'6" 127 L, Naish XXL, 4m Gong P2
You'd have no issues with that weight and gear! I'd have my new wing built already but I'm working on compatibility with the gong fuse/wing socket combo in my Open Fuse design, learning to run a CNC at the same time and so I have to build a new mast as well as the wing.
I tink my biggest issue is that at 20knots+ when the wind is starting to be right for me on what's really only an average sized foil, the water is getting very choppy too and it gets harder to balance the board in my preferred spot with outgoing tide and in coming wind. Still perseverance combined with a metter sized ring and reduced weight should make it super easy.

Return to “Wingsurfing”