Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Postby fluidity » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:10 am

Herman wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 pm
Windsurf race boards have been messing about with tail design for efficient release for many years. May be worth taking a look if you have not already done so!
I noticed that one too. They are doing the same as for many recent America's cup boats, maximising waterline length at higher lift out of the water to increase the conventional hull planing speed.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Postby Eltreato » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:14 pm

Here's a picture of what I put together using a wedged strip open cell foam that is used for shipping stuff, and some Gorilla Tape. I doubt the tape will last too many sessions, but sometimes Gorilla Tape surprises me. I may not know for a while how good this works as it's only ever windy when I am stuck at work. Hopefully this gets rid of some of my inflatable board's stickiness.

Edit: My Gorilla Tape solution lasted one and a half high wind days of winging. Near the end of the second session a third of it was hanging off the tail and dragging, making it more difficult to get flying. I've since gone with fastening the Gorilla Tape covered wedges with a double-sided 3M outdoor foam tape and hope to try again in the next couple weeks. When my wedge was working it was so windy I couldn't tell if it was making a difference.
Attachments
coanda.jpg

Return to “Wingsurfing”