Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Rocker Modification for early takeoff

Postby fluidity » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:20 pm

alex 1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:34 am
Hi, happy to see the idea developing...my conclusions after a few weeks of use...this really makes the board better, hope some of you 3d experts bring the model to thingiverse 😀

regards
LXT
I added a couple more strips further forward, Added my version of an underside grab handle and my learning is shooting ahead now. Glad to hear yours are doing well too. Let me know if you want a custom design and I'll stick it on pinshape for you. Thingiverse seems to be hacked lately.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Update:
So I've had the Coanda disruptors on my board for about 6 weeks now. I've progressed a lot in my foiling since then, back when I first attached them I didn't have any control on foil so it was harder to rate the effect of the disruptors. Anyway, I'm getting on foil much easier now. Some times when the wind is there I will get my front foot in place, stand up and with my momentum change I am already on foil. Touch downs are now a non event,
Some times I've rolled the foil too far to the side and I'm heading hard up wind, the side of the inflatable board is in the water. Also a non event. A little push down to the back of the board when I'm good and ready and the nose pops up and I'm fully foiling again. These really do make a massive difference. Without them though, look at theokkiteboarder's review of the Gong HIPE and he discusses the stickiness of inflateable board's rounded rear edges.
An inflatable board without is N a k e d !!
Attachments
20201231_092317.jpg

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:08 pm

:thumb:

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby faklord » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:39 am

fluidity wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm
Update:
So I've had the Coanda disruptors on my board for about 6 weeks now. I've progressed a lot in my foiling since then, back when I first attached them I didn't have any control on foil so it was harder to rate the effect of the disruptors. Anyway, I'm getting on foil much easier now. Some times when the wind is there I will get my front foot in place, stand up and with my momentum change I am already on foil. Touch downs are now a non event,
Some times I've rolled the foil too far to the side and I'm heading hard up wind, the side of the inflatable board is in the water. Also a non event. A little push down to the back of the board when I'm good and ready and the nose pops up and I'm fully foiling again. These really do make a massive difference. Without them though, look at theokkiteboarder's review of the Gong HIPE and he discusses the stickiness of inflateable board's rounded rear edges.
An inflatable board without is N a k e d !!
Thanks for your sharing your good work on this.
I’m considering a mod to a Gong Hipe and have a couple of questions:

1) your posts indicate you updated the designs of the disruptors (at least once). How easy it was to get the old ones off and what method was used (Assuming loctite powerflex). Can all traces be removed? (Thinking in terms of 2nd hand value). Also wondered if double sided adhesive tape would work as an adhesive - did you try?

2) I was wondering if a single straight disruptor across the back of the board would do the job (+ one on each rail)…Thoughts?

Thanks

Sbrinckman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Marina muiderzand
Favorite Beaches: Taiba
Cabarete
Mauritius
Sal
Style: wave and foil
Gear: Aluula Roam and Crave
Peak 5
Maverick kite
Arribarriba wave board
DSD Stallion wave board
Sabfoil T22, T38, 633 wing, 899, 1100 wing
F-one 100L, 85L wing board, 1240 phantom foil
Triton T1 monowing
AK durable 65L wingboard

Postby Sbrinckman » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:05 pm

I am also interested. Bought a 103L Indiana air board for travel. Sticks way more than my 100L F-one rocket.
@Gunnar, you have specific thoughts on board bottom, how about the inflatable board you designed?

Stinos

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:12 am

faklord wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:39 am
Thanks for your sharing your good work on this.
I’m considering a mod to a Gong Hipe and have a couple of questions:

1) your posts indicate you updated the designs of the disruptors (at least once). How easy it was to get the old ones off and what method was used (Assuming loctite powerflex). Can all traces be removed? (Thinking in terms of 2nd hand value). Also wondered if double sided adhesive tape would work as an adhesive - did you try?

2) I was wondering if a single straight disruptor across the back of the board would do the job (+ one on each rail)…Thoughts?
Thanks
1. Initially I made some out of PLA but I was convinced that they would work well so I tweaked the design slightly and printed them out in TPU, fastened them permanently with flexible superglue(not much sticks to TPU) I still have the board but I've long sinced shifted to a much lower volume board I built myself. If you do a good job of it and pick TPU colours that go with the board then I think you can claim added value for resale.

2. You won't get a good fit for a straight disruptor across the back of the board because of it's curvature. Fanatic sell a board which is already like this, but the coanda disruptor only covers part of the surface needing release. I did a repair of my board recently and took my old one out for nostalgic value, pushing it hard forward with the stern down, I could see the coanda disruptor strips(including the side ones) all doing their job. It really makes a significant difference getting on foil and also staying on foil for flat and side touchdowns.

Here's the link again:
https://pinshape.com/items/103319-3d-pr ... laning-kit

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply and link.
I plan to print some to specifically fit my board (Hipe 5'5").
wondering about best profile:

1. Similar to yours
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.34.44.png
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.34.44.png (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

2. Possibly provides a bit of lift to the tail and gives a sharper release angle
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.34.59.png
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.34.59.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

3. As 2 but even sharper release angle.
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.35.20.png
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 10.35.20.png (18.93 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Thoughts anyone ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:51 am

I doubt #2 and 3 are any good.

This has been tried on windsurfers too, where you in light wind kinda pump the board onto planing the same way, but no advantage and a lot more drag.

Okay they have water contact but still no starting earlier effect.

On wings a release edge like that is no good and way too draggy, a brake.

8) Peter

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Windsurf race boards have been messing about with tail design for efficient release for many years. May be worth taking a look if you have not already done so!
Attachments
E45990C8-97D8-4563-BFCE-D0F536F248C4.png

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:03 pm

alex 1 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:01 am
Hi,
in this small clip i show how i modified my Board with rounded Rockerkicktail for better release and Low-Wind properties...Paulownia Wood treated with epoxi and attached with double sided outdoor tape..

njoy

LXT
The step on a seaplane, has bin around since before 1912 ; it's not
new technology . What is Cool here , is that someone applied that
idea towards another application !!! :thumb:

Bille

Return to “Wingsurfing”