Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Gong Hipe Review (Inflatable Wingfoil Board)

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: The Gong Hipe Review (Inflatable Wingfoil Board)

Postby fluidity » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 am

adriatic, I think you need to do your own review of a HIPE ! Criticising others is so much easier than setting the fine example :D

I started watching okkiteboarder's video believing that he sells product himself and wondered if it would affect his review negatively. I'm sure as per his reply to you that he's immensly conscious of that fact. I suspect his poor experience with their customer "service" was of some personal relief to him that retailers have the power to have a good edge over Gong in customer service. There are good and bad retailers too but I'd buy from someone like okkiteboarder over another retailer on the basis that he is willing to step past blind brand loyalty to test the truths of real life behind the front of team rider hype.

We have a local retailer in Wellington New Zealand who doesn't use the product, ignorantly runs down opposition products and falsely extolls the virtues of his favoured product without understanding it's specific drawbacks.

I will add to okkiteboarder's review some things that I noticed when considering a purchase from Gong:
No rear footstrap however the HIPE promotional video shows someone doing a big jump. If you freeze the video right then, it's apparent that the board in the jump is a hard board.
The financial history of Gong on their own website is somewhat chequered, it did not inspire me with confidence to order 2 months ahead despite them having a superb looking product.
And re-iterating okkiteboarder's note about the shape of the board, there is very little curve up in the bow of the board making it more likely to catch. It's a dissapointment that such a rigid semi inflateable board has these weak links.
The weight... On the Gong site the shaper goes on at great length about the high value of the prepreg carbon US Box mounting plate, that they get great pricing in bulk. But in my mind, the high weight okkiteboarder is observing is indicative that this plate should be smaller and likely more care to taper it's thickness as it blends with the vinyl and dropstitch under-hull surface. I expect in their next version of a HIPE they will address these issues.

Oh... and updating my design link for inflateable foil boarders who want to improve release of the curved rear surfaces: https://pinshape.com/items/103319-3d-pr ... uNL8QhyyTM

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joekitetime » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 pm

If I were to have done another review of the Naish Inflatable, 135L, I would have have the exact review of performance (regarding rigidness, weight, touchdowns).

Price for Naish is a tad more, and their customer service has been epic in my opinion.

Consider a Naish as a better alternative.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm

I received my Hipe 5'5" 145L board within 5 days of shipping notification to SoCal. It was $755 USD delivered making it about $360 less than Naish 135L. Everything expected was in the package! Customer service has been fine. I also have 2 Gong wings.
These users thanked the author oldkiter for the post:
joekitetime (Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Update on Gong 5'5". Inflated the board today. Definitely difficult to get it to 15 psi. I am sure it is part that I am somewhat light at 70kg (155#) and my age (VERY OLD)! It weighs apx 16.5 # (7.5 kg +/-) with straps and foil hardware. I will give it a few hours inflated to be certain it holds the air. Probably try to use my Bravo pump in future.
Thanks for reading!!
Attachments
20201118_131415.jpg
20201118_123320.jpg
20201118_123443.jpg

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am

[quote oldkiter
Update on Gong 5'5". Inflated the board today. Definitely difficult to get it to 15 psi. I am sure it is part that I am somewhat light at 70kg (155#) and my age (VERY OLD)! It weighs apx 16.5 # (7.5 kg +/-) with straps and foil hardware. I will give it a few hours inflated to be certain it holds the air. Probably try to use my Bravo pump in future.
Thanks for reading!!
/quote]

My F-One foil SUP board pump is skinnier than a kite pump and taller. There's an adjustment at the side of the top of the cylinder which changes it from dual action to single action. I've left my 160 litre board at working pressure since first pumping it though :D

I'm not sure I could get it to proper pressure with only a kite pump!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 am

Ok kiteboarder, thx for your seemingly well informed review. I have a possibly strange question: would you consider using the hipe for kitefoiling?

I am a beginner kitefoiler, haven't got a suitable board, and am considering getting into winging with some mates. Having just one board would be awesome. Obviously, I'd still need several front wings.

What do you think? Gong recommends only the smallest hipe for kitefoiling....would a larger one be useable?

Thx!

Sbrinckman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Marina muiderzand
Favorite Beaches: Taiba
Cabarete
Mauritius
Sal
Style: wave and foil
Gear: Aluula Roam and Crave
Peak 5
Maverick kite
Arribarriba wave board
DSD Stallion wave board
Sabfoil T22, T38, 633 wing, 899, 1100 wing
F-one 100L, 85L wing board, 1240 phantom foil
Triton T1 monowing
AK durable 65L wingboard

Postby Sbrinckman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:47 am

Can anyone tell why Gong opted for only front straps? would a non-freestyler miss the back strap?

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm

or6 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 am
Ok kiteboarder, thx for your seemingly well informed review. I have a possibly strange question: would you consider using the hipe for kitefoiling?

I am a beginner kitefoiler, haven't got a suitable board, and am considering getting into winging with some mates. Having just one board would be awesome. Obviously, I'd still need several front wings.

What do you think? Gong recommends only the smallest hipe for kitefoiling....would a larger one
It would be tough due to the flotation. The board would not be able to Waterstart conventionally. You would have to probably climb on the board, stand, and then use the kite to take off. That’s why they are recommending only the low volume boards. I have a buddy who kites with the 55L fanatic wing board, but he can do a conventional or at least more conventional Waterstart with it.
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post:
or6 (Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Sbrinckman wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:47 am
Can anyone tell why Gong opted for only front straps? would a non-freestyler miss the back strap?
I’m sure they didn’t want to mess with integrity issues from jumping an inflatable wingboard. A non-freestyler does not miss the back foot strap.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:33 pm

fluidity wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am
[quote oldkiter
Thanks for reading!!
/quote]

My F-One foil SUP board pump is skinnier than a kite pump and taller. There's an adjustment at the side of the top of the cylinder which changes it from dual action to single action. I've left my 160 litre board at working pressure since first pumping it though :D

I'm not sure I could get it to proper pressure with only a kite pump!
Thanks for comments. Yes, the Gong pump is the taller skinnier high pressure pump as well (with the single action option). It was actually kind of funny at the end of pumping because I stood on a stool so the I could put more pressure on pump but it just would not go down!! It is possible that gauge is off. Board feels like concrete and did not seem to have any give when I stood on it.

or6...I also plan to try the 5'5" Hipe for kiteboarding which is my "first love". I have a carbon foil which floats so I think there is a chance.

Return to “Wingsurfing”