Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Gong Hipe Review (Inflatable Wingfoil Board)

Forum for wing surfers
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

The Gong Hipe Review (Inflatable Wingfoil Board)

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 pm

This episode reviews the Gong HIPE inflatable wing foil board. Would love to know how everyone is enjoying theirs?

These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post (total 3):
fluidity (Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:48 am) • MaximumAC (Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:46 pm) • a99 (Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am)
Rating: 9.09%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: The Gong Hipe Review (Inflatable Wingfoil Board)

Postby fluidity » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 am

Any impressions on the HIPE now you've had it for a few days?

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma

Postby Okkiteboarder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Yes. That’s what the video review is about. I waited until 6-7 sessions before reviewing it.

adriatic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby adriatic » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:08 am

Hey man. I used to like your videos, but it's clear what's going on here.
Your Flysurfer Peak review was spot on. But the Hipe cannot be sold by your sponsor, or by any other shop for that matter.
A company like Gong is the worst nightmare of shops. It takes constant bashing, but its skin is thick and it couldn't care less. Its customer base is solid regardless of well-crafted YT videos (props for the dramatic violin during the customer service anecdote, and the cheerful background music at the end, while we wait for other brands - sold by shops - to come into play. yeah!)
These users thanked the author adriatic for the post:
apollo4000 (Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 am

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 pm
This episode reviews the Gong HIPE inflatable wing foil board. Would love to know how everyone is enjoying theirs?
Thanks man!
I assumed it was the HIPE unboxing video but as per all your videos I've seen, very informative.
All you need to break that stickiness is something like I printed for my F-One.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650926
If you know someone with a 3D printer then get them to print a set short face down in TPU or tough polyurethane filament and glue on with flexible superglue and a bit of masking tape holding it to the board while it sets. I can see mine make a difference if I compare ends of the board just pushing through the water and I'm taking off better now but that could also be technique or the new bigger wing I built as I am still such a raw newb to this sport!

I will be doing some edits and mods to the anti-Coanda edge designs as I want a set to go around the sides at the back as well and also some tapered ends to better conform to the back of various boards. Unlike Duotone with their cheeky little patent claim for a hard boom on a soft wing :lol: I'm not even claiming this as an original idea, I had it a while back but i wasn't first to demo it. So feel free so copy, mod or create your own superior SUP wedgies using mine as a starter! :D
Attachments
20201116_181626.jpg
20201116_181606.jpg

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Sorry you feel like that Adriatic. I like HIPE, and I was attempting to present my experience dealing with customer service, the boards performance, and other items. My goal is full transparency with all items. This isn’t the first item I’ve made a video of that Green Hat Kiteboarding doesn’t offer (Quick Link, Axis Boards, Prolimit). Which elements of the HIPE did you find to be false? Reviews like this are very subjective and I would love to revisit if you saw something not true in the performance of the HIPE. Thanks.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:18 pm

fluidity wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 am
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 pm
Thanks man!
I assumed it was the HIPE unboxing video but as per all your videos I've seen, very informative.
All you need to break that stickiness is something like I printed for my F-One.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650926
If you know someone with a 3D printer then get them to print a set short face down in TPU or tough polyurethane filament and glue on with flexible superglue and a bit of masking tape holding it to the board while it sets. I can see mine make a difference if I compare ends of the board just pushing through the water and I'm taking off better now but that could also be technique or the new bigger wing I built as I am still such a raw newb to this sport!

I will be doing some edits and mods to the anti-Coanda edge designs as I want a set to go around the sides at the back as well and also some tapered ends to better conform to the back of various boards. Unlike Duotone with their cheeky little patent claim for a hard boom on a soft wing :lol: I'm not even claiming this as an original idea, I had it a while back but i wasn't first to demo it. So feel free so copy, mod or create your own superior SUP wedgies using mine as a starter! :D
Wow! This is great. Thx for the input!

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Sorry you feel like that Adriatic. I like HIPE, and I was attempting to present my experience dealing with customer service, the boards performance, and other items. My goal is full transparency with all items. This isn’t the first item I’ve made a video of that Green Hat Kiteboarding doesn’t offer (Quick Link, Axis Boards, Prolimit). Which elements of the HIPE did you find to be false? Reviews like this are very subjective and I would love to revisit if you saw something not true in the performance of the HIPE. Thanks.
My experience with their customer service was that a product became faulty. The gong employee first starting telling me that I was fraudulently claiming the product was gongs because I did not show logos in the images I sent. I later sent further images this time containing logos. I really felt like I was dealing with a small company.... I think a big company would have said sorry and sent me a replacement immediately. Gong did send me a replacement but I am in Europe so it wouldn't have been that expensive.

adriatic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby adriatic » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 pm
So it felt stickier than the rigid narrower board you're used to? No surprises there. It's not great for touchdown recovery at angles? Yes, it's an inflatable with no beveled rails. It's fair that you mentioned these points, but they were to be expected. Padding of the bag? At first I thought you were kidding (one thing I really liked in your other videos is your sense of humor).

But also to be fair, there are important pros you could have mentioned: much smaller swing weight compared to your longer rocket board (specially important during wave riding, but should be noticeable also carving in flat water), safety (think head bumps and broken ribs), comfort (knees) and, since you seemed to be worried about durability, the fact that it's impossible to ding an inflatable board (yes it's harder to carry the Hipe, but if it hits the ground or an obstacle it's no big deal).

And the lenses through which pros and cons are presented makes all the difference. In this video, it's as if you were inducing the viewer to look at other brands (which for me, only makes the pros you had to mention - because they are so objectively true - even more blatant).

Again, I liked your prior videos, but not this one. I have a good nose for bias, and it's "Ok" for you to deny it.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby Okkiteboarder » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 am

Adriatic, I think you may be giving me more credit than I deserve. 😆.

Return to “Wingsurfing”