Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingfoilers versus Kitefoilers?

Forum for wing surfers

What do you do, and did you do?

New, started wingfoilng as my first experience.
4%
Kitefoiling freestyle/wave, now almost only wingfoiling.
19%
Kitefoiling freestyle/wave, now ALSO wingfoiling.
54%
Kitefoiling racegear, now almost only wingfoiling.
4%
Kitefoiling racegear, now ALSO wingfoiling.
4%
Windfoiling, now almost only wingfoiling.
No votes
Windfoiling, now ALSO wingfoiling.
4%
Other windboard sports, now almost only wingfoiling.
4%
Other windboard sports, now ALSO wingfoiling.
8%

Total votes: 26

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wingfoilers versus Kitefoilers?

Postby OzBungy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:15 am

I find I'm running about 2 kite foiling sessions to 1 wing foiling sessions. The wind is often too light for wing foiling but perfect for kite foiling. Many of the days start off light but build. Even so, the conditions could be borderline for winging. I am not interested in taking out two full sets of gear. My car is not big enough and I don't have the energy to mess around with the bulk and inconvenience of the wing gear.

The wing foiling numbers are a little inflated. During lockdown I only had access to very close beaches and we had a fair number of offshore days. They were fine for winging but a kite would have been a nightmare. I was also pushing winging to get my skills up.

At the moment I am giving up prime moderate wind kite foiling conditions to go wing foiling. The winging has been quite fun, but as with all foil sports, progression has not been linear. Some days I make all my gybes and charge around on the waves. Other days the wind is dropping out, or I am face planting into the wing. :(

I tried wing foiling in very strong winds but dealing with a big foil and SUP foil board in strong conditions is a pain. The actual riding is ok but falling and getting going again is awful. It's like being squashed between two fat people that are trying to have a fight with each other. I have a plan to try strong winds with a large kite foil board and a wing. It is still hard to get excited about dealing with shore breaks and inconvenient wind directions when a 4m kite and foil make those conditions easy.

We did an end of lockdown trip to the coast. The intention was to go wing and SUP foiling in true ocean surf. The way things turned out winging and SUP foiling were not possible (tides, wind, swell size and direction), but kite foiling and surfing were doable every day.

Return to “Wingsurfing”