Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None

Sore Index Finger

Postby phlow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:45 am

Random question.

I have noticed that after a wing session, my left index finger is sore. Closest analogy is how your finger feels after getting "jammed" while catching a football. Not super painful but kind of stiff and sore, especially when trying to bend it down all the way to touch the base of my thumb. My right index is fine, and I'm going both ways equally frequently.

I've been trying to diagnose what could be causing it, I thought maybe it's my hand spread while getting up, but it never feels like I am straining it or anything when doing that. Somehow I think it's related to movements while I'm bringing the wing to air while getting up with one hand on the front loop, but even while thinking about it while riding I cant isolate any action that would trigger it.

I'm basically asking, "Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you modify any aspect of your movements to alleviate?"

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Sore Index Finger

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 am

I think this is relatively normal for many to experience in one way or another....

Having windsurfed since 1978 we see the same on occasion.

I dont think it is a strain or movement, but simply because you hold the same grip for quite some time, quite static.

Doesnt matter if a boom or handles.

"Pinched", so it gets slightly sore over long time, and maybe also locally lower blood circulation.

In windsurfing even when using a harness, there is quite some grip load on both hands, and often you ride without the harness for longer times (say riding waves).
In kitesurfing you have ALL the load removed from your hands, and can hold freely with no tight grip - so no static blood pinching at all. Only unhooked, but even those dont ride like that for longer times.

What to do?

Two often used tricks:

Try holding a bit different, further out on your fingers, or tighter or looser, and change while riding.

But also, change grip from overhand to underhand quite often while you ride - this can often solve such issues by magic :thumb:

And why does it, in your scenario, only hit one finger?
Also pretty normal, we are all having different "weak and strong" local points in our body, besides the fact we tend to stand and hold a tad different whether left or right foot is forward.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
phlow (Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 pm) • Dontsink (Sun May 23, 2021 7:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

etik05
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sauble beach
Has thanked: 0

Postby etik05 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Did your finger issue ever resolve itself?

Just starting out and I have the same issue on both hands. Aside from stiff trigger finger , they are also swelling and locking up.

Wondering if Peter's suggestions helped or if you found anything to relieve the pain
These users thanked the author etik05 for the post:
phlow (Sun May 23, 2021 12:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 am

I am having the same or similar.
Right index finger middle joint feels swollen and painful.Sometimes it clicks when extending,with a jolt of sharp pain.
I am 49 and i was thinking arthritis, but if many more people have this symptoms it may mean it is Wing related.
These users thanked the author Dontsink for the post:
phlow (Sun May 23, 2021 12:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Sun May 23, 2021 12:42 pm

etik05 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:43 pm
Did your finger issue ever resolve itself?

Just starting out and I have the same issue on both hands. Aside from stiff trigger finger , they are also swelling and locking up.
Actually I haven't been winging much recently due to lack of wind but I went 2 days ago and I am not noticing much pain. My hypothesis is that I probably strained / sprained it somehow winging and then each time I went again , it was re-aggravating it. I think this because I haven't really changed anything in the way I am riding or rehabbed my finger at all and I'm not having the issue.

nmmc01
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 193
Local Beach: Galveston East Beach and Quintana
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, Core Nexus, Ocean Rodeo Roam, Armstrong foils, Ozone Wasp wings
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nmmc01 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:09 pm

yes I am experiencing similar pain both in my fingers and also my left elbow. i'm guessing it has to do with pumping the wing and also the way i'm grabbing the handles. the pain usually dissipates after a couple of days rest.

Return to “Wingsurfing”