Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why a stabi, when wing foiling?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 pm

foilfun wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm
Kite foiling and wing foiling are different sports. In kite foiling, I love the snappy free feeling of the monofoil with a shorter mast. But in wing foiling, I love the hard driving carves of a long fuselage and longer mast. After spending many months winging my 55L board with the Neil Pryde surf wings XL, M, S, as monos and stubbies, I recently switched to the Takuma Kujira foils 1440, 1210, 980. That foil works amazingly well. I’m able to fully drive the foil on the top and bottom turns (lake “waves” in 30-40 mph). While it’s still fun using the same board and foil for kiting, the turns are just not the same because of the need to keep the lines of the kite semi-loaded or drive back upwind to reload them if they slack too much. Thus, the monofoil comes into play for a different type of turn while kite foiling.

When I bought the Kujira, I thought I’d cut it like my others, but I always like to ride things as designed before I change them. I’m glad I did. I did wing the Kujira without the back wing one day. While nice as a monofoil, I missed the deep, driving carves that make winging so much fun and different from kiting. Just my opinion, of course. :D
Hmm, interesting indeed, as I found it quite opposite - love the driving feel of kitefoil, also in waves, whereas for wingfoil it does not mean the same, and agility is key here.

8) Peter

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:12 pm

RRD Monofoil?
At minute 31:00
These users thanked the author Dontsink for the post:
Horst Sergio (Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Thanks Dontsink,

and yes, also to me it sounds like a RRD Monofoil is coming, so time to start a list:

- Delta Hydrofoil: 2019 with very first Monofoil with a 0-Fuselage and a Dualuse frontwing; https://www.deltahydrofoil.com/shopfoil ... late-mount
- Spleene: 2021 with first only for Monofoil use Frontwing; https://www.spleene-kiteboarding.com/st ... -wing.html
- Ketos Foils: Prototype since 2019; Have asked for more info but no respond via mail or fb
- RRD: Prototypes since 2020? as named in the video

Tried the Spleene these days,
I was pretty sure for me in the best case interesting in light wind on the wing, but as it was also to light for that, I was forced to use a Peak4 6 m² instead:

In very first short words:
Surprised that I liked the pretty simple fiberglas cut out construction pretty much. Tips are very flexible and sharp, so has to be disarmed first, especially the tail. Also the resistance is for sure significant higher than the high end 1000 cm² I normaly ride, but resistance is acceptable for the very low AR shape and if riding a bit faster that works good, resistance could be lower than that of normal stabi Wingfoils of this size, but with much higher AR and stabi-handbreak. Manouverability for sure is great but pitch stability is very good. I hope to be able to try it again also with a kite as want to try sit foiling, which I just missed today and also the wind was maybe anyway to low. Same problem with the wind when trying to drift it, but it showed already up to work extremly well, as expected for a full flat wing (as already shown here in a video: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2393935&p=1131251#p1131251)
What also, a bit surprisingly, worked very well was the ability of the wing to regain flow, after drifts. Also when doing backflips in those lightwinds with the big wingfoil board, I never managed to creat a stall of the wing when landing, but the wing always catched flow and so could land all full flying. Even if with its size the speed range is a bit low for jumping I will be surprised how it will land on a wing. With my 1000 cm² I can already land raileys full flying. To me it seems a lot about a thin sharp nose profile, which both have. With all my Gong wings I always had a lot of difficulties to land even the most easiest backflips in flight as probably with their bulky nose profiles they most time just didn't rebuild flow.
In maybe most relevant direct comparison with my 1100 - 1500 cm² Gong wings used as mono, the Spleene seems to do pretty much everything better.
Hope for the next test maybe tomorrow. :D
Kitejunkie Test Spleene Monofoil.jpg

nosnow
Rare Poster
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Bebaboo
Gear: Wings
Been thanked: 0

Postby nosnow » Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 am

fluidity wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:38 am
geron wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 pm
Fluidity, you wouldn’t want to make a wing like this for me (to fit my Moses masts) would you?
Hi Geron,
I did some reading about thickness to chord ratio and apparently these long thick foil types generate a LOT of lift.
I did a new plan section with better resolution, gull-wing folded it again and made it a bit smaller than your dimensions. It's really a low speed unifoil. More pointy than yours(great for shedding seaweed)
Downloadable on here: If you can convince PrftChaos to run the numbers on it(I don't know if he is just going off NACA profiles or can run on an STL model file) then that might give you more use case possibilities information.

https://pinshape.com/items/103609-3d-pr ... ng-unifoil
Not quite your planned foot print and it's a bit narrower (600mm) due to the higher lift of the thick middle section. Only thick in comparison with other foils, because it's 450mm long it can have a low thickness to chord ratio and yet still be quite thick in the middle.
Graham.
Mesh volume:3.365 litres. Lifting area is around 1800 sq cm but keep in mind as above that the extra thick centre will make this more lifty than those 1800 sq cm would be for a high aspect foil and I think you'll get it at a low speed too.
hi fluidity

on pinshape you wrote that you ve built a "thinner version":
Update 16/1/2021 I cut a thinner version of the wing, approx 3/5 of the thickness of this model on my cnc machine. Very nimble, fun foil to ride. Only had the one time to ride it yet, need a bit more wind or wing for my 105kg but it's a fun foil to ride. Fun enough that I've now printed out the 4 parts of the wing and glassed it. Testing after I complete my current on-call cycle!.

can you pls share a file of it pls
thx

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat May 29, 2021 4:22 am

nosnow wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 am
hi fluidity

on pinshape you wrote that you ve built a "thinner version":
Update 16/1/2021 I cut a thinner version of the wing, approx 3/5 of the thickness of this model on my cnc machine. Very nimble, fun foil to ride. Only had the one time to ride it yet, need a bit more wind or wing for my 105kg but it's a fun foil to ride. Fun enough that I've now printed out the 4 parts of the wing and glassed it. Testing after I complete my current on-call cycle!.

can you pls share a file of it pls
thx
nosnow, I'd hold off on that for now.
I still think that general wingshape has it's applications but I'm working towards doing them with washout near the tips. That, more than the area will reduce dragginess a lot.

nosnow
Rare Poster
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Bebaboo
Gear: Wings
Been thanked: 0

Postby nosnow » Sat May 29, 2021 7:25 am

I still think that general wingshape has it's applications but I'm working towards doing them with washout near the tips. That, more than the area will reduce dragginess a lot.
and comparing the two versions of your foil: the original and the thinner version which is the more stable and which is the fastest ?

have you thought about the hydrodynamics of lifting force but also about the power of the wing ascent due to its volume and density

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Mon May 31, 2021 7:17 am

nosnow wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:25 am
and comparing the two versions of your foil: the original and the thinner version which is the more stable and which is the fastest ?

have you thought about the hydrodynamics of lifting force but also about the power of the wing ascent due to its volume and density
The stability between them is very similar. The thicker wing has a little more lift and available climb angle but both suffer a lot due to she low aspect ratio in a conventional non twisted wing style. When I write conventional I mean human designs, not for birds. They've had superior evolved tech for millenia.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:20 am

Made a high aspect swept wavy monofoil. Rides ok, I'm sure it would feel pretty solid to Sergio but I'm not that athletic to actually have more than some "Woo hoo! I managed to have an extended run on it!" I've stuck trainer wheels on it, a tail on a 500mm long titanium rod hanging out the back of the mast and fixed with forged-carbon joiner pieces I constructed by compressing resin-wetted carbon fibres into 3D printed moulds. Still felt a bit wobbly at first, but after putting a bit of a tail angle on it, it's behaving very well. When you ride one of these things it uses muscles you're not used to using, persevere and it gets easier.

My first mono run on it sucked, a few weeks later, after finishing the surface to a higher standard, I was on my full fuse DIY foil and encountering massive ground swell turbulence, bucking me off a few times. I thought I'd try the mono again, given that it's about 3/4 the area and was absolutely stoked, some good runs and much less affected by turbulence.
Attachments
20211230_140549.jpg
1636840894579.jpg
1636838401586.jpg

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:01 pm

watching the GWA wing foil competition the pros are riding huge stabs relative to front wing size (e.g. 220 cm2 stab paired with 600cm2 front wing)

I wonder if the stab then is beneficial for load + pop?

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Probably because competition scoring is not based on how much fun the riders are having.

Return to “Wingsurfing”