Forum for wing surfers
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why a stabi, when wing foiling?

Postby slowboat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:54 am

Horst, the tracks still seem a bit back for a 150 cm board. You may want to check that again.

Can you comment on pumping a mono? Difficult for me and others have said the same.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Horst Sergio (Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Requested changes especially in perspective to "Mono only" are:
- reducing width even more from 60 to 56 cm (Indiana has 63 cm)
- increasing thickness to 12 cm to keep a volume of above 70 litres
- changing strap position and straps fundament wideness
- pushing the tracks forward as most important for the mono
Is there a specific "mono only" rationale for the change to low beam that doesn't apply for a foil with a stabiliser?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:01 pm

fluidity wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 am
Is there a specific "mono only" rationale for the change to low beam that doesn't apply for a foil with a stabiliser?
What is "low beam"?

8) Peter

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:01 pm
fluidity wrote:
What is "low beam"?

8) Peter
Never really thought about how many meanings "beam has before" Obviously in this context, the nautical one:
a ship's breadth at its widest point.
"a cutter with a beam of 16 feet"
INFORMAL
the width of a person's hips.
"notice how broad in the beam she's getting?"

Not to be confused with a "beam of light", "beam me up Scotty" or a plank.

So the nautical term for how wide a water craft is.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:12 am

fluidity wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:01 pm
fluidity wrote:
What is "low beam"?

8) Peter
Never really thought about how many meanings "beam has before" Obviously in this context, the nautical one:
a ship's breadth at its widest point.
"a cutter with a beam of 16 feet"
INFORMAL
the width of a person's hips.
"notice how broad in the beam she's getting?"

Not to be confused with a "beam of light", "beam me up Scotty" or a plank.

So the nautical term for how wide a water craft is.
narrow

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:59 am

slowboat wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:54 am
Horst, the tracks still seem a bit back for a 150 cm board. You may want to check that again.

Can you comment on pumping a mono? Difficult for me and others have said the same.
Yes I agree, I made a little error, so tried to correct it by pushing tracks another 2 cm forward, not sure if early enough and Groove will change it, anyway it will be ok, both ways as:

Even if the Groove tracks are 29 cm long instead of normal tracks with just 24 cm which means around double adjusting range with 10 cm, instead of normaly just 5 cm.
So even then it will always be a compromise and not even all mono foils will fit to it, but it can be that a few stabifoil will. But I think most won't.

Actually I plan to use the board with a Levitaz Cruizer 1000 cm² Wing that has just a gap of around 1 cm between wings trailing and struts leading edge and additionally is pretty much arrowed so not just by mono but also by this pushes point of lift further towards strut. So it will be ok, when it will be pretty much forward as, I expect and shown in the new drawing. On the other hand there are wings as my Gong Curve 1100 cm² has at a similar cord about 5 cm inbetween wing and strut and no arrowed shape so I would expect to push it 5 cm back in the tracks. Would not matter to much as I will sell it anyway but wings as the Moses Onda and others I am intersted could need even more backwards position so I tried to stay compatible for all those wings just in the mono setup for sure, as with stabi most wouldn't fit anyway, at least without pushing the straps full forward...
150x56x12-gfuerte-v2.1.jpg
and about pumping:
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2408431&p=1120540#p1120540
fluidity wrote:
Legitimate question, as seen it is not all black and white. A wide board is good for compfortable take of without to much pumping effort.
But a narrow has the advantage to allow higher inclination for more sportive 360s, more sportive jumping, etc. that's where the connection to a sportive monofoil is. :wink:

Also not connected 1:1 to monofoiling but what I think is necessary to have the best control and safety at the strap setups, which I use for all my boards & monofoils, you may find here:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2408549
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
fluidity (Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nemoz
Medium Poster

Postby nemoz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm

Just spotted this video..

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm

doppled - deleted
Last edited by Horst Sergio on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm

Nice, I just skipped his "wing7" video as the music is a bit difficult, while the one of Nr. 8 just fits so much better :D
Great show as always:

Even if Groove missed my requested volume by 32% :roll: , the board is quite interesting, even if not in every way positive, but try to report more later. One of the very nice things is that I am now able to ride my Levitaz 1000 cm² Cruizer Monofoil: What a difference to the low cost one. Speed and glide has increased drasticly, if I do 360s I have to realy watch out well before as they get huge and also have no more to care for ventilation. And even if not yet started serious jumping, first little trys with the again just 8,5 kg complet setup show, that there will be some potential for the future.
Groove-Wingboard.jpg

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Kite foiling and wing foiling are different sports. In kite foiling, I love the snappy free feeling of the monofoil with a shorter mast. But in wing foiling, I love the hard driving carves of a long fuselage and longer mast. After spending many months winging my 55L board with the Neil Pryde surf wings XL, M, S, as monos and stubbies, I recently switched to the Takuma Kujira foils 1440, 1210, 980. That foil works amazingly well. I’m able to fully drive the foil on the top and bottom turns (lake “waves” in 30-40 mph). While it’s still fun using the same board and foil for kiting, the turns are just not the same because of the need to keep the lines of the kite semi-loaded or drive back upwind to reload them if they slack too much. Thus, the monofoil comes into play for a different type of turn while kite foiling.

When I bought the Kujira, I thought I’d cut it like my others, but I always like to ride things as designed before I change them. I’m glad I did. I did wing the Kujira without the back wing one day. While nice as a monofoil, I missed the deep, driving carves that make winging so much fun and different from kiting. Just my opinion, of course. :D

Return to “Wingsurfing”