Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP
Brand Affiliation: None

OK setup for a beginner on flatwater?

Postby soplo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Would you be willing to say if this setup would be "good enough" for me as a beginner, please?

Board: 135L, unless that's completely crazy. I'm thinking a Naish inflatable because it'll be softer to fall on, and where I live, I'll definitely be shipping it if I sell it.

Foil: I've had a few shops say 2000 cm2. I like how you can swap out sizes as you progress, and figure Naish will be something that can grow into other setups and last. Edit to add: S25 Jet Foil, if it matters

Wing: 6m? More info below, but I'm expecting mostly light wind. It can be gusty here. I love the idea of clear windows, but I've heard they might not be great when the water's cold and add weight? I like to see, though. Maybe a Wasp or F-One if I go without window.

More info:

* Weight: 185 lbs or 84 kg (is 135L too small?)
* Experience: Never foiled, I kite on snow/ice, and have taken water lessons, but never launched on water
* Wind: Probably 8-20ish kts, but it can be gusty in Colorado
* Goal: Just cruise around for fun and make some turns

I'm not somebody who really jumps or wants to do flips. I mainly want to have some fun on the water and build skills for the occasional ocean vacation. I'm hoping the first few (or more) sessions will be a struggle, but slowly but surely, I'll be cruising around on foil.

Does this sound like it's potentially good enough, or is there anything there that looks way off to you, please?

Thanks for any insight!

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Re: OK setup for a beginner on flatwater?

Postby Eltreato » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:52 pm

You sound a lot like me I weigh the same and have probably about 7 or 8, mostly lightwind sessions in to the sport. I came at the sport primarily as a windfoiler and my 6'6" 125L windfoil board doubles well for winging, for now it's not too big. Given I ride lightwind, spots I would probably only go down to about 100L in the future, but 125L makes getting going really easy. I bought a 5m Airush Freewing as my first wing, I would have gone bigger, but I wanted to use it in stronger winds when my windfoil sails would be too much. If I didn't have the windfoil sails I would have gone with at least a 6m, maybe even a 7m wing as my first wing. I find it really takes a lot of wind to get going. My wing has windows, but I find they mostly show me things I've past, and not things I'm about to hit. If your lakes are busy they are probably a good idea, otherwise they aren't a necessity and make folding the wing up a hassle as you risk creasing and eventual pinholes in them. Good luck!
These users thanked the author Eltreato for the post:
soplo (Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gription
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Ozone WASP, Slingshot SST

Postby gription » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:28 am

I think your proposed setup sounds fine. Its not too different from the setup I used to learn on small midwest lakes. Im 6'4, 240, and went with a 135l board, 6M wasp, and 2450 foil. If youre shorter than me, I would consider a smaller wing. It's a lot to maneuver. The big wing is easy to depower in the puffs, but you lose some upwind ability when overpowered.
These users thanked the author gription for the post:
soplo (Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:15 pm)

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks Eltreato and gription. I really appreciate hearing this. I am right around 5'11 to 6ft and have been wondering if a 6m would be too cumbersome. I've seen some models are supposed to be "less wide," so I may have to research some, then just make a decision and live with it.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:46 pm

soplo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:20 pm
Thanks Eltreato and gription. I really appreciate hearing this. I am right around 5'11 to 6ft and have been wondering if a 6m would be too cumbersome. I've seen some models are supposed to be "less wide," so I may have to research some, then just make a decision and live with it.
If I could do it again I would have gotten a 6m for my first wing, even with a quiver of sails that work in the same wind range. I'm the same height as you and 185lbs. Also I believe it would set me up to build a 4/6 quiver. With a 5 I don't know if I should get a 7 next for lightwind which I know will be very cumbersome, or get a 4 for high wind that will overlap with the 5. I'd never use a 3 as it only blows that hard here twice a year. Where I live a "good" day is 15-18 knots. It takes a ton of wind in my mind to power these wings as you can't swoop them for power like kites and they are super floppy and inefficient compared to battened windsurf sails.
These users thanked the author Eltreato for the post:
soplo (Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 am)

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:51 pm

Seems like a good setup.

I have a brand new naish 135L if interested in the SF area.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
soplo (Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 am)

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:07 am

soplo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:20 pm
Adjusting for our weight differential foil size and board volume seems to me like a good start for you. I'm having success on a F-one inflateable 7'6 168 litre foil sup and I'm 6 foot and 104 kg. I need about 15 knots minimum on my Naish S25 5.4m wing at the moment to get on foil but just starting to get a bit of feeling for working the foil up with wing pumping and working the foil higher. I think I worked out the area of mine at 2650 sq cm. My earlier 1860 approx area foil needed too much wind to be well sized for me to learn on but I'll be stoked at some stage to use it again!
I could probably accelerate my learning with a bigger hand wing but we have city with strongest wind in the world, there are days I go out trying to learn where the 5.4 wing is overkill and I'd be much happier with something smaller than a 4. A smaller wing gives you more clearance around the pheriphery of the wing to work it hard and my next purchase will likely be a non windowed wing for lightness and more reliable cold weather foldability. For my next board I'll try making one around 50 to 80 litres, a sinker with my weight, but with foot straps. From my reading there's a kind of un-sweet spot where surface stability and foot control are poor, going under that un-sweet spot volume the foot control through straps improves and with reduced profile it's possible to build sub-planing speed more efficiently (to the point the hydrofoil takes over on lift) than on a big wide board. I'm not ready for that yet though :lol: For you I'd go for a light 5 or 6 m wing like the F-one, Takoon or Ozone wasp, inflatable boom duotone variant, Ensis, Smik etc. A 6 would give you more foil up time learning, a smaller one will build your wing handling technique faster including pumping to start. The Naish is definitely an option, I think it's more suited to crowded small lakes than waves though. Also there's a warning from Naish to only roll it and not fold in cold weather(as the windows loose flexibility in the cold). Tropical climates-- no issue.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
soplo (Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:12 pm)

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:07 pm

This is less of a gear recommendation, but an expectation recommendation. You will probably struggle to launch and get on foil in less than 15 knots. You need a lot of wind to wing. Gusty is not a problem because it's so easy to instantly flag the wing, but you will probably find it very frustrating to try to get up and get going if you go out in 10 knots or even 12 knots. Other than your first one or two sessions to get the hang of handling stuff, I wouldn't even to attempt to go out if it is lighter than 15 knots, just so you don't give up before you crack the code.
These users thanked the author phlow for the post:
soplo (Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm)

Return to “Wingsurfing”