Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Tips for Paddling Out Through Inside Surf

Postby windmaker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am

Dave K wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 pm
Dontsink wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 pm
I wish all the fancy vids we see on youtube showed how they get out through waves,or how they recover from falling in the impact zone.

I know, they probably make it look super easy,but anyway :)
Show me anything decent for getting out through crappy large shore break, or dealing with a wipeout in the impact zone,.....and then I’ll take notice!
You won't see it because it does not exist. Just good timing (sometimes little luck) and choosing the right launch spot. On big wave days you need to launch from a harbor, protected bay, boat, pier anything which makes it possible. Wipeouts often mean a swim and walk to the original launch spot.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Dontsink (Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dontsink » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:48 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am
Dave K wrote:
Dontsink wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 pm
I wish all the fancy vids we see on youtube showed how they get out through waves,or how they recover from falling in the impact zone.

I know, they probably make it look super easy,but anyway :)
Show me anything decent for getting out through crappy large shore break, or dealing with a wipeout in the impact zone,.....and then I’ll take notice!
You won't see it because it does not exist. Just good timing (sometimes little luck) and choosing the right launch spot. On big wave days you need to launch from a harbor, protected bay, boat, pier anything which makes it possible. Wipeouts often mean a swim and walk to the original launch spot.
Dunno, i can't imagine Kai Lenny launching shyly from a harbour, much less walking back anywhere :)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:57 am

I keep meaning to make a video about this, but never seem to have anyone there to film when we have those conditions. However here are some tips.

1) Timing and choosing where to enter is everything. You need to read the waves and get the timing right. There is always a lull in the waves at some time and also the backwash will help you get sucked out behind the waves if you time it right. Also choose the spot where you enter wisely. It can just be a matter of a few meters where the waves are slighly smaller, or the rip will help you more.

2) If you can still stand, keep the wing high out of the water.

3) Once you are deep enough to start to paddle, turn the board over and get on it. Put your feet on top of the wing behind you and paddle hard. Comit. Once you decide to go for it, comit to it. Do not hesitate. Just punch though the waves. Do not worry too much about the wing.

4) If you do get washed, try everything to keep a hold of the Board. The wings can take a beating. However if you loose the grip on your board, it will get washed into your wing. A nose handle really helps in this.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post (total 3):
Dontsink (Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am) • phlow (Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:01 pm) • yinnonhaviv (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 am)
Rating: 9.09%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:10 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:57 am
I keep meaning to make a video about this, but never seem to have anyone there to film when we have those conditions. However here are some tips.

1) Timing and choosing where to enter is everything. You need to read the waves and get the timing right. There is always a lull in the waves at some time and also the backwash will help you get sucked out behind the waves if you time it right. Also choose the spot where you enter wisely. It can just be a matter of a few meters where the waves are slighly smaller, or the rip will help you more.

2) If you can still stand, keep the wing high out of the water.

3) Once you are deep enough to start to paddle, turn the board over and get on it. Put your feet on top of the wing behind you and paddle hard. Comit. Once you decide to go for it, comit to it. Do not hesitate. Just punch though the waves. Do not worry too much about the wing.

4) If you do get washed, try everything to keep a hold of the Board. The wings can take a beating. However if you loose the grip on your board, it will get washed into your wing. A nose handle really helps in this.

--
Gunnar
I have successfully made it out on our bigger days every time now and the above comments are absolutely spot on and it is exactly what I have been doing. He uses the word "timing" I think of it more as "patience". I have stood at the edge looking at the breaking waves and thinking there is no way but if you wait long enough, there is always an opening. I have waited as long as 15 minutes. Step 3 is critical. A quick way I have found to get the wing under my foot is to just get on the board prone and then pull my hand that has the leash forward to bring the wing up to my feet.

Having said all that, I believe if you do this often enough, you will absolutely puncture your wing with your foil. I have been lucky so far but there are so many close calls every session that it is just a matter of time. This hazard is greater coming in than going out. If that risk is unacceptable, don't wing in surf.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:54 pm

I failed to get out through chest high shorebreak the other day. I lost hold of my wing, a wave got it and yanked it off my wrist, and as I turned to head in to get it, the next wave tumbled my board into me resulting in pretty big bruise on my leg. I did the same thing the previous day in the same conditions with no issues.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Dontsink wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:48 am
windmaker wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am
Dave K wrote:

Dunno, i can't imagine Kai Lenny launching shyly from a harbour, much less walking back anywhere :)
In Kai Lenny's case launching from Maui's North shore spots with it's side shore winds and outer reefs is much easier than from a typical beach with onshore wind and shore brake.

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 pm

gmb13 wrote:
turn the board over and get on it. Put your feet on top of the wing behind you and paddle hard. Comit.
--
Gunnar
Gunnar - are you typically moving your wrist cuff to your ankle or belt leash or do you have a longer wrist leash which allows you to paddle aggressively unencumbered by elastic. F1 stock wrist leash engages at the top of my right arm stroke when paddling with the wing LE under my feet.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 am

Here at 01:30 Zane shows how he paddles out over shallow reef.No serious waves though.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:03 pm

phlow wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 pm
gmb13 wrote:
turn the board over and get on it. Put your feet on top of the wing behind you and paddle hard. Comit.
--
Gunnar
Gunnar - are you typically moving your wrist cuff to your ankle or belt leash or do you have a longer wrist leash which allows you to paddle aggressively unencumbered by elastic. F1 stock wrist leash engages at the top of my right arm stroke when paddling with the wing LE under my feet.
The Leashes I use are all long enough to stay on my wrist and still allow me to paddle hard. So I leave the leash on my wrist.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
phlow (Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”