Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How about foot hooks for winging instead of straps?

Forum for wing surfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How about foot hooks for winging instead of straps?

Postby Dave K » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:54 am

I have no choice but to wing strapless due to bad knees. I’d love to start jumping with straps but the knees just won’t allow it. I’ve thought about foot hooks but as others have said, seems like a disaster waiting to happen with big boards and foils. So I live with strapless. I think you can develop some pretty aggressive turning techniques strapless using both a regular “lean” carve and a “flat pivot” turn. Whether you’re strapless or not you need to finish upwind transitions (tacks and second half of 360’s) with more of an aggressive short radius flat pivot turn where your legs/knees are driving the turn (even that is hard on the knees). While it might be easier to master flat pivot turns with straps, it’s still very doable strapless. You’ll know your turning pretty aggressively strapless if you are completing all your upwind transitions on foil, especially more awkward transitions like heel-to-toeside tacks or the last third of a 360.

Also way easier to do a really fast foot switch without straps in the way. I still notice a lot of surfing background riders refuse to learn foot switching and only ride with that offset front strap. Seems pretty limiting to me,......but hey, it’s all good!

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Re: How about foot hooks for winging instead of straps?

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Try some different foils also if you want better turning. Shorter fuselage and smaller rear wing will all increase turning speed and shorten turning radias. I ride my Axis stuff on the ultra short and crazy short fuselage with my biggest rear being a 370. Super loose.

Return to “Wingsurfing”