alfigo
Rare Poster
Gear: 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wing with Boom and center rib

Postby alfigo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Does anyone know what is the brand of the wing that appears in the photo?
Wing.jpg
It is obtained from the following video

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wing with Boom and center rib

Postby ronnie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 am

alfigo wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm
Does anyone know what is the brand of the wing that appears in the photo?

Wing.jpg

It is obtained from the following video

Alan Cadiz has worked with Duotone in the past on development of their wings, so possibly a Duotone prototype.
The design looks like it could work well for larger sizes of a freeride wing.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 am

Looks like Alan Cadiz to me too. Only he's usually a harness line rider I think. Good speed. Could be Duotone are loathe to entirely ditch the boom after some of their retailers are claiming it's the only way to make a good wing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm

fluidity wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 am
Looks like Alan Cadiz to me too. Only he's usually a harness line rider I think. Good speed. Could be Duotone are loathe to entirely ditch the boom after some of their retailers are claiming it's the only way to make a good wing.

I dont think so, seems like quite the opposite - they are exploring new ways to design wings with a boom.

As we are so many who would not wingfoil, if we had to use handles.
Many advantages, besides feeling much better.
Also disadvantages, and this is why Duotone apperently are in front in terms of testing - excellent :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Horst Sergio (Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 am

https://www.surfshop-w7.com/duotone-foi ... eze.com.au

and https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Win ... tone-Wing-?

I can't help but think that Duotone (North) are up to their old practices. They fought hard against every innovation in kitesurfing (one pump, 4-lines, low-V, bow kites) and produced fantastic, but strangely compromised products. They always believed that their ideas were technically superior to everybody else.

Eventually they would come around go half way, then all the way, and produce good versions with all the features and pretend that was their plan all along.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post (total 3):
windmaker (Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:19 am) • gmb13 (Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 am) • Eltreato (Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:35 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:01 pm

Yes according to the surf shops leak, Duotone now call its hybrid "SLICK"
I think I have riden, more than a year ago, a very early short boom proto, when I remember right, already with a center strut instead of a batten. I was hoping till now they would keep compatibility with the booms of their first two wing models as the proto still had it, but understand that this would have been too much compromise. Anyway I was pretty sure that a shorter boom + "small strut to canopy" concept will have future, as it combines enough advantages of both concepts, even if for sure also some disadvantages of both. But on the other hand, knowing this in 2019 doesn't kept me from buying 3 sizes of Echo during 2020. As I experienced as long the demand for wings actually is still often higher than what manufacturers can produce you don't loose too much money when switching range more often. Just sold the last size of my first duotone wing generation for a fair price.

@OzBungy:
Would more agree here with Peter. Don't know what North/Duotone has done in tube kite development in the past as never been in contact with their toys till 2019. Just by my own experience with Kitewings from 2004 I decided to go with a boom wing and Duotone has been the first and for long only brand who have been able to deliver any wings middle of 2019. Actually they are the only brand as open minded to have all existing concepts in offer and development:
Handles, Booms, Hybrid.

And also the "handle brands" don't stand still but in my impression started to move from up to dozen small handles to today mostly 3 or even just 2 large reinforced with sticks handles as Cabrinha v2 which could, from handling already be more close to a boom than to many handles. So also could be to switch towards such a system in the future.
Actually I am trying a wing with 3 more or less normal handles, understanding the benefit but not yet started liking it over my booms, but will give it a more longer chance, then just a few rides. Also not yet 100% sure if switching to the SLICK as to know this I first have to ride it in the final serial verison. Same I didn't expect in 2014 after 10 years with nearly only Flysurfer to swich for a year to Ozone kites and later to ride a lot ConceptAir kites.

Not fixing youself to a black or white list, of brands to use, allows you to try and ride the best the industry can offer.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 pm

fluidity wrote:
North/Duotone seems to like to keep ideas alive well past their expiry date. I expect it will hang around for a few years just like the a dangerous around-too-long Iron Heart bar loop or the 5th line (obsolete years before it was retired) I anticipate the boom will continue to shrink in size as it's doing here with the Slick until it's closer to something like what Cabrinha has on their V2s or Armstrong with their overpriced separate purchase bar.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 am

Eltreato wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 pm
North/Duotone seems to like to keep ideas alive well past their expiry date. I expect it will hang around for a few years just like the a dangerous around-too-long Iron Heart bar loop or the 5th line (obsolete years before it was retired)
Actually, the micro-hook was an amazing tool for those who learned how to use it during tricks. Similarly, the loaded 5th line was great for quickly adjusting the profile of the kite by simply adding a pigtail. Now, making bridal adjustments to fine-tune the profile is more time consuming. I know, simple is better for most folks (99%) who just unbag a kite and fly it as is for its whole life.
Last edited by foilfun on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 am

foilfun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 am
fluidity wrote:

North/Duotone seems to like to keep ideas alive well past their expiry date. I expect it will hang around for a few years just like the a dangerous around-too-long Iron Heart bar loop or the 5th line (obsolete years before it was retired)
Actually, the micro-hook was an amazing tool for those who learned how to use it during tricks. Similarly, the loaded 5th line was great for quickly adjusting the profile of the kite by simply adding a pigtail. Now, making bridal adjustments to fine-tune the profile is more time consuming. I know, simple is better for most folks (99%) who just unbag a kite and fly it as is for its whole life.
You've miss quoted me. Eltreato wrote that, not me.

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:31 pm

fluidity wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 am
You've miss quoted me. Eltreato wrote that, not me.
Sorry! I was trying to delete the extra information and didn't notice I deleted the wrong author.

Return to “Wingsurfing”