Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is overpowered?

Forum for wing surfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is overpowered?

Postby Dave K » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:07 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:20 am
I hear people talking about being "overpowered". I have been using my 5m wing in winds around 30 knots and I can't say I've ever felt overpowered.

There have been moments when I have thought that a smaller wing might have been more fun, but no moments when I have thought I have to get back to the beach before something bad happens or come in and change wings to complete a session.

What do you think?
So my question back to you is how often are you tacking with that 5m in 30knots? Both toe to heelside and the even harder case of heel to toeside. If all your doing is jibing and down-winding it’s a different world,... at least from my perspective. I won’t even mention harder freestyle type moves like backwinded 360’s or wing pass tacks. I don’t consider basic tacking freestyle moves, and I would think you’d be a lot more sensitive to wing size once you start doing lots of tacking in strong winds. Even just doing fast, tight aggressive jibes with a lumbering big ole wing doesn’t work nearly as well as a smaller more nimble wing. Definitely not as fun.....my feeble 2C
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 am

Just gybing and riding heel and toeside. Not much. But neither is anybody else.

I fully agree that riding the "right" size wing is much better. No argument from me there.

I do have a bit of a phobia about being underpowered. It seems that a small drop of wind frequently ends up with everybody being on the surface and slogging in. Yes, if I stay up on the foil I can ride through a lull, but as soon as I lose apparent wind I'm stuck on the surface too. Even much more experienced riders than me with purpose built light wind foils end up stuck. It's not just me. But that's a different story.

I was riding today in around 30 knots. The trailing edge gets a bit messy. That's about it. No getting pulled off the board. No being out of control. No getting slammed. No trouble starting. No struggling at all. Easy to complete gybes. I might have been better off on a smaller wing. But that's a completely different thing.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 am

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 am
Just gybing and riding heel and toeside. Not much. But neither is anybody else.

I fully agree that riding the "right" size wing is much better. No argument from me there.

I do have a bit of a phobia about being underpowered. It seems that a small drop of wind frequently ends up with everybody being on the surface and slogging in. Yes, if I stay up on the foil I can ride through a lull, but as soon as I lose apparent wind I'm stuck on the surface too. Even much more experienced riders than me with purpose built light wind foils end up stuck. It's not just me. But that's a different story.

I was riding today in around 30 knots. The trailing edge gets a bit messy. That's about it. No getting pulled off the board. No being out of control. No getting slammed. No trouble starting. No struggling at all. Easy to complete gybes. I might have been better off on a smaller wing. But that's a completely different thing.
Definitely a good point about fear of being underpowered. I’ve had a couple of off-foil schlogs getting back to shore. Not fun. There are some days that are so variable, that no matter what wing size you choose, your either way overpowered or underpowered all in the same session! I have gotten slightly better at tacking in overpowered conditions but there is no way I’ll attempt certain moves, like backwinded 360’s, when I’m seriously overpowered

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:38 am

When the wing has to be held depowered to the point that the canopy is fluttering most of the time, ruining the silent glide of the magic carpet ride, then this is an overpowered state.
If you have to reduce your speed for fear of getting out of control, then it's another sign of being overpowered.
Doing some of the above in 20% of the time of your session is kind of ok, but when it's the case in most of the session, then it's not so fun anymore, and a smaller size would be so much better.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:13 am

bragnouff wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:38 am
When the wing has to be held depowered to the point that the canopy is fluttering most of the time, ruining the silent glide of the magic carpet ride, then this is an overpowered state.
Not really. It's ugly and less than pleasant. It's sub-optimal. It's not overpowered.
bragnouff wrote:

If you have to reduce your speed for fear of getting out of control, then it's another sign of being overpowered.

Absolutely. I would call that overpowered. It's what happens with a kite when you're totally maxed out. I have not experienced anything remotely like that with a wing.
bragnouff wrote:

Doing some of the above in 20% of the time of your session is kind of ok, but when it's the case in most of the session, then it's not so fun anymore, and a smaller size would be so much better.
No argument with that either. But that's more about sub-optimal gear selection. It's not overpowered.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:26 pm

For me overpowered is just a loose term that means you have more power on tap than you need for the type of riding you are engaged in, so at times, you will be reducing power by sheeting out, bearing away, heading up etc. Can be better to be overpowered for stop start sea states, but could be sub optimal in good conditions. If it is a case of not being able to handle it then it is too much wind. That is from a windsurfing background but it is not gospel, just the way I have used the term over the years.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:10 pm

Nothing better than holding a tiny wing with the weight of a tissue that you don't notice when parked while riding swell.

Sure, I can fly big wings but always to try fly the smallest I can. The other day I went out in 10-12mph on my 3.5 (because my new bigger wings hadn't arrived yet). I pumped like crazy and was shocked to get on foil. But once on foil it was pretty sweet!

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 am

Hi Joe, what's your setup and weight to be making a 3.5 work is such light wind?

Return to “Wingsurfing”