Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Windows - Cold Temps

Postby irwe » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Caution !!!
Using your Wings with windows could result in Window damage with minus Celsius use.

I was aware of the possibility of Window damage as I had heard that Naish had switched from the napsack style stoarge bags to a Windsurf style roll bag to avoid creasing/tearing the Windows in freezing temperatures.

Last week after a day of SnowWinging in - 10 C weather I was carefully putting away my Gong Pulse2 Wings avoiding to fold the Windows and the clear windows just cracked without putting any folds in the windows.

The same thing happened to a Gaastra Cross Wing with Windows in my area on the same day.

I have owned 2 KiteWings for 3 years and have not had any issues with them.

The current material used for the Wing Windows does not seem to hold up in freezing temperatures.

I will speak to Gong and hopefully they can assist me with this isssue.
I take extremely good care of all my gear.
The photograph of the Window has a green board behind it so the crack and tear can easily been seen.
I would like to know if anyone else has had problems with the Windows cracking in cold temperatures.
Attachments
WingBag.jpg
WingBag.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
GongPulse2Window.jpg
GongPulse2Window.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
-10CelsiusSnowWing.jpg
-10CelsiusSnowWing.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Windows - Cold Temps

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Nice to know there is a risk of our windows in colder temperatures :o

We had minus 20 degree last morning also, here.

But I doubt Gong will replace or repair your wing, as this is not what makes sense for low cost internet only distribution products.

Clear tape as repair?

8) Peter

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.

Postby fluidity » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:41 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:39 pm
But I doubt Gong will replace or repair your wing, as this is not what makes sense for low cost internet only distribution products.
Actually when Gong cut out the middle man that lets them sell higher than what the middle man would buy for. I've heard they use that excuse but it's not valid.
My naish got a little crack in it over the end of winter. Temperatures would have been no lower than 5 degrees celscius though.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:18 pm

I have heard from a Local Kite/Wing repair guy in the area that he received 8 Wing Window repairs this week! And there are at least 3 other reputable repair places in my region so it would be interesting to know the extent of the problem.

StellaBlu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Naish issued new bags for its wings specifically because of this issue. The bags prevent the wing from being folded which they say causes creases and tears. Unfortunately this seems to be a known issue with windows and cold weather.

Seems like there is a sweet spot between including a window large enough to improve visibility but small enough not to inhibit packing the wing down.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 pm

I believe the issue is not the size of the Window (for LEI) Wings but the material used. All of the current Windows on the market will crack/tear in minus Celsius conditions even if not folded.

I have used Windsurfing sails on my Snowfer's for the past 35 years and have never had an issue with the Windows.
Attachments
130320aPaulinaRyne.jpg

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:32 pm

irwe wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:36 pm
Caution !!!
Using your Wings with windows could result in Window damage with minus Celsius use.

I was aware of the possibility of Window damage as I had heard that Naish had switched from the napsack style stoarge bags to a Windsurf style roll bag to avoid creasing/tearing the Windows in freezing temperatures.

Last week after a day of SnowWinging in - 10 C weather I was carefully putting away my Gong Pulse2 Wings avoiding to fold the Windows and the clear windows just cracked without putting any folds in the windows.

The same thing happened to a Gaastra Cross Wing with Windows in my area on the same day.

I have owned 2 KiteWings for 3 years and have not had any issues with them.

The current material used for the Wing Windows does not seem to hold up in freezing temperatures.

I will speak to Gong and hopefully they can assist me with this isssue.
I take extremely good care of all my gear.
The photograph of the Window has a green board behind it so the crack and tear can easily been seen.
I would like to know if anyone else has had problems with the Windows cracking in cold temperatures.
Keep in mind that windows can be made of different materials. Vinyl (PVC) is weaker and has more stretch that TPU. A design could have film or "x-ply" laminated film as well. At Cabrinha, we are using TPU windows in our new Mantis wing. TPU is more durable and pliable than Vinyl. I don't have specifics on below freezing temperatures, but here is a quote from http://www.tpufilmcn.com/news/145, "PVC material is simple and hard in winter, and the cold resistance of tpu film is very outstanding. Even at minus 35 degrees, flexibility, ambiguity and other functions do not deteriorate."

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 am

Oklahoma has been experiencing a real winter this year. We had air temps -15*F at night. We went winging one day in 5*F (-15 C) with our Unit wings. We rode for several hours.
--no cracks
--made sure not to bend the window at all while it was cold. Rolled it up at home after it warmed up in the house.
--less snow is more fun (less work), unlike in snow kiting
--more power is more fun (less work) (rode 4&6 in 30ish and 6 was more fun)
--skis seemed like more fun (less work) than snowboards
--speed was very fun because of the amount of control while edging hard, even in the sketchy places
Attachments
Screenshot_20210214-185516_Gallery.jpg
IMG_5757.jpg

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 am

:)

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 am

Clear "rail saver" material for SUP's works perfectly for repairing cracked wing windows. It's going to happen, foil on!

Return to “Wingsurfing”