Forum for wing surfers
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Re: Cabrinha Mantis Wing 2021

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:04 am

I feel the X2 sits really far back in the wind window. It's harder to go up wind than most wings I've ridden. I feel like the wing requires the rider to move hands too much between starting, riding, up wind, ECT... The handles also feel too far apart for me and with the micro struts,I feel a lot of wobble. Just my opinion so might be great for others but I prefer F1 swing, strike, ensis, airush, duotone (all models) over the X2. I did like the X2 over last year's naish.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm

chirojoseph wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:44 pm
Anybody know (I think I remember Dwight saying he tried the Mantis but can't tremende in what thread) if the new Mantis still had SEPARATE inflation valves for strut and LE? Or just one conected by the tube?

Interested in the 6.2 (just in case they have different construction for the big sizes)

And if anyone HAS had the luck to try both the X2 and the Mantis... Can they content upon of the HANDLE connection to the Mantis strut seems any more Rigid/firm than the X2 was?

Thanx in advance guys,!
I have size 4 and 6 mantis wings now. Im not going to compare to other wings, since these are my first wings, but to your question, I can confirm that there is only a single valve connected to the LE by a tube. It is a bit slow to dump the air when packing up, but I've found that deflating the strut first then folding/rolling the LE, makes it much easier. I can't compare to the X2, but the handle connection to the strut on the Mantis is somewhat loose (not floppy), but I find it still gives good control. I really like being able to move my hands around and microadjust on the mini booms versus handles.

I feel like the size difference between the 4 and 6 is a little bit bigger than I would have expected from experience with kites, and I might find some times when Im overpowered on the 6 and underpowered on the 4, but hopefully as I progress I can be more efficient at the high and low ends.

As someone else noted, the bag is definitely an afterthought. Packing the 6 into the dinky bag after a long session is a chore. I feel like I need to be rougher on the wing than I would like just to get it packed in there. The leash is nothing fancy, but is comfortable and easy to use.

Overall, I'm really happy with the setup. As a beginner on the wing, I found I could stay upwind fairly easily after 2 sessions. I was also able to pump onto the foil with the 6 at ~13 kts or so. Everything is pretty straightforward and streamlined (3 handles, no windows, single inflation, single strut...), which is less to break or complicate the experience and that attracted me to the product.

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Ordered a 3.1 Mantis without windows last night ... should have it in a few days. Above 20-25 kts average im finding it hard to keep my ground on a 4m (wasp v2), so want to see if this lowest-cost-wing is alright for building out my range. :)

adriatic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby adriatic » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm

slingshotucf wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm
Front handle is foam inside and breaks apart quickly but you can keep riding.
What do you mean by that?

Anyone else can comment on the mantis handles?

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby StellaBlu » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 pm

adriatic wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm
slingshotucf wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm
Front handle is foam inside and breaks apart quickly but you can keep riding.
What do you mean by that?

Anyone else can comment on the mantis handles?
I think he’s referring to the leading edge handle (the strut handles are not foam inside). I haven’t had any issue on the leading edge handle. It’s just a simple flattish neoprene handle. No issue with durability on that handle or any other aspect of the wing.

The boom handles are great.

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:28 pm

So I've gotten to ride around on the 3.1 Mantis a few times now, here's my thoughts:

1. Rigid, simple, flat, light and affordable, and looks nice
2. Handle shape: what pete c. described in his launch video was the ability to rotate the wing with these toblerone shaped handles. However, the nylon webbing slides against the internal plastic/foam structure, so the design doesn't really nail the brief.
3. Handle length: Good and bad! Compared to other wings - it's nice to be able to just grab XYZ loop and know what power to expect (e.g. waterstarting). On the other hand, when blind (e.g. tacking), having a single mini boom to grab, and then adjust as you ride our is kinda nice.

At $619 for a 3.1 from a reputable brand, I will keep it as I am not riding the 3m's much anyways, but won't replace it until it's retired from use in 1-2 years. Recommend for the edges of your quiver if value matters. :)

Return to “Wingsurfing”