Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Cabrinha Mantis Wing 2021

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:43 pm

The Mantis is a streamlined, light weight but extremely rigid hand held wing that will power up any foilboard, surfboard, skate or snowboard. It has a simple inflated frame and single strut to keep things light and tight. What makes the Mantis an absolute joy to fly is its tightly controlled frame. It’s stiffness allows you to power right through the gusts or take to the air.

Available in sizes: 2m / 2.5m / 3.1m / 4m / 5m / 6.2m

For more info, please visit: www.cabrinha.com

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Mantis Wing 2021

Postby chirojoseph » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Any non biased personal reviews? I lived the long handles idea since the x2 BUUUT... Had read that they were kinda floppy.. Not really a good rigid connection to the strut. Anyone know of that issue has been resolved?

Also there were several comments about aggressive "back winding" when pointing high upwind... This looks like a great option (and way nicer color schemes as well) but would love to hear real world review.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Probably not "non biased" but heres the only review I've seen.

Seems like production has been slow, and not many people have seen these in the flesh yet. Most dealers wont have them for another month from what I've heard.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Well THAT was a great find man and I got to learn alot more about the wing.. Hadnt realized that it didn't have the nifty double strut... At one point one of them did mention that the handles were rigid.. But who knows in comparison to the x2... Like you say... If they are 3 months behind on production its kinda moot as I need to buy soon

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:44 pm

Anybody know (I think I remember Dwight saying he tried the Mantis but can't tremende in what thread) if the new Mantis still had SEPARATE inflation valves for strut and LE? Or just one conected by the tube?

Interested in the 6.2 (just in case they have different construction for the big sizes)

And if anyone HAS had the luck to try both the X2 and the Mantis... Can they content upon of the HANDLE connection to the Mantis strut seems any more Rigid/firm than the X2 was?

Thanx in advance guys,!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:46 am

I rode the 4m near the limit. Wind 25-30 mph. Handles felt nice. Wing was good. Didn’t pay attention to inflation valves. Didn’t pay close attention to details, sorry.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Anybody get theirs yet? I know these are just starting to ship. Curious to hear any more hands on feedback.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm

I've been in the mantis 4&5 for the past month and I have to say cabrinha did a 180 in wing design. I have not a single good thing to say about the X2 so I'll skip to the mantis good stuff. Handles are placed properly and allow for all day riding with no stress in the joints. Great for one handed wave riding down the line with some power. Easy up wind and boosting is really good float time for a wing. Nice low end due to stiffness of the wing. I have Windows on the 4 meter and they actually work really well. Wing is tame on the water in heavy gusts also.
The bad, inflation system needs a better valve so you can tell pressure. A dump valve on the strut would be great. Good part is no adaptor needed.
Front handle is foam inside and breaks apart quickly but you can keep riding. The bag is horrible. Really minor things that can be fixed mid season I would think.
I highly recommend demo'ing this wing. Congrats to cabrinha on the mantis
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post (total 2):
irwe (Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:34 pm) • StellaBlu (Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

kitet
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitet » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm

slingshotucf wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 pm
I've been in the mantis 4&5 for the past month and I have to say cabrinha did a 180 in wing design. I have not a single good thing to say about the X2 so I'll skip to the mantis good stuff. Handles are placed properly and allow for all day riding with no stress in the joints. Great for one handed wave riding down the line with some power. Easy up wind and boosting is really good float time for a wing. Nice low end due to stiffness of the wing. I have Windows on the 4 meter and they actually work really well. Wing is tame on the water in heavy gusts also.
The bad, inflation system needs a better valve so you can tell pressure. A dump valve on the strut would be great. Good part is no adaptor needed.
Front handle is foam inside and breaks apart quickly but you can keep riding. The bag is horrible. Really minor things that can be fixed mid season I would think.
I highly recommend demo'ing this wing. Congrats to cabrinha on the mantis
What are your issues with the X2? That would interesting to know to see how it compares with the Mantis. What some people value or find important may be different dependent on riding conditions and style.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:08 pm

I haven't ridden the Mantis but own and have used the 3 and 5 Crosswing. I really like them. My only negative comment on them is when they are at the top end of their range they require a bit more back hand pressure to stop back winding. This creates a bit more power than I want in those winds. Still quite controllable but harder to play on the swells. For the 5 that would be about 20 knots. I am on a large foil the Infinity 99 so that could be part of the issue. With the 5 I get going around 12 knots. I am getting a 4 Mantis for the higher wind swell riding. I have used the 3 a few times and love it in winds up to a little over 30 knots. I find it comfortable and controllable. I am just an average rider cruising and playing in the swells.

Return to “Wingsurfing”