joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None

Fone Strike Wing Review

Postby joekitetime » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm

For 2021 I had intended/planned on using my 2020 FONE swings quiver for the season since I was so happy with those wings / that quiver. Well I had a compulsive day many weeks ago and started emailing Tucker at Mackite to check and see if the new gear was really any better. He said it was. So, after a flurry of videos and getting psyched up on winging for 2021 while still suffering very cold temps I threw in the towel and bought the new quiver.

Later I was kicking myself! Ah, I fell for it again I thougtht - the idea of having to have the latest and the greatest, and paying big money for something that was marginally better.

I continued that thought until the wings arrived and I had the chance to fly them in all kinds of conditions. Here are my conclusions. I have absolutely zero regrets now and would not go back to last years after having tried these new wings. They are pretty incredible!

The Strikes are more powerful and more rigid than the swings. One thing I didn't like about the swings was being overpowered and having the wing flutter. I have yet to be able to get the strikes to flutter. I can't believe how overpowered I can ride the strike. I nearly think I could have gotten away with a 1 wing quiver. The strike has more low end then the previously sized swing, and it was way more high end. Because you can more easily depower a more rigid wing it just give you more range. Also, the rigidity does a much better job of not allowing the center of effort of the wing to move - so the wing is more more locked it on a very powered reach, which makes it more stable.

Because the wing is more rigid you get more power when you pump it.

I have zero regrets about buying the new strikes and would highly recommend you do so if you are considering it.

I am not sure if I needed all sizes though. I sorta think I could get by with a 5m and 3.5 meter but we shall see. I love flying tiny wings and can't wait till the season fully arrives to try all sizes.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
LeoLeal (Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:52 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle
Gear: Drifter 12m 2019
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
Slingshot Hoverglide H5 / H3 / H4 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Re: Fone Strike Wing Review

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:52 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm
For 2021 I had intended/planned on using my 2020 FONE swings quiver for the season since I was so happy with those wings / that quiver. Well I had a compulsive day many weeks ago and started emailing Tucker at Mackite to check and see if the new gear was really any better. He said it was. So, after a flurry of videos and getting psyched up on winging for 2021 while still suffering very cold temps I threw in the towel and bought the new quiver.

Later I was kicking myself! Ah, I fell for it again I thougtht - the idea of having to have the latest and the greatest, and paying big money for something that was marginally better.

I continued that thought until the wings arrived and I had the chance to fly them in all kinds of conditions. Here are my conclusions. I have absolutely zero regrets now and would not go back to last years after having tried these new wings. They are pretty incredible!

The Strikes are more powerful and more rigid than the swings. One thing I didn't like about the swings was being overpowered and having the wing flutter. I have yet to be able to get the strikes to flutter. I can't believe how overpowered I can ride the strike. I nearly think I could have gotten away with a 1 wing quiver. The strike has more low end then the previously sized swing, and it was way more high end. Because you can more easily depower a more rigid wing it just give you more range. Also, the rigidity does a much better job of not allowing the center of effort of the wing to move - so the wing is more more locked it on a very powered reach, which makes it more stable.

Because the wing is more rigid you get more power when you pump it.

I have zero regrets about buying the new strikes and would highly recommend you do so if you are considering it.

I am not sure if I needed all sizes though. I sorta think I could get by with a 5m and 3.5 meter but we shall see. I love flying tiny wings and can't wait till the season fully arrives to try all sizes.

Hey Joe,

How better is this Strike wind range compare with Swing ( Do you have any number in mind).

What Wing sizes did you have? And now? Your Weight and Wind Speed?

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Hmmm... numbers...

Had 6m, 5m, 4.2m, 3.5m and 2.8m in swings....
Have: 5m, 4.2, 3.5m and 2.8 in strikes...
Weight 175# (75kg)
I've ridden the strike 5m from a scant 10mph and with some luck and a tiny wind swell/bump managed to get on foil on the phantom 1780 (however, in these conditions I prefer to kite foil).
Wind was blowing mid 25s in other sessions and the 5m was hanging just fine, and I didn't feel the need to go in a put up a smaller wing...

I'd venture a wild guess by saying the added power is about 10% (total gut feeling, nothing else). But the added top end ability is 30-40%.

Hope that helps!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:27 pm

I get that more rigid wings have better low end but in my experience with many wings, the more rigid ones have worse high end. For example, they don’t spill wind during gusts which forces you to actively depower them.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster

Postby joekitetime » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Interesting. That may be true! I'll have to experience.

However, coming from a sailing background, "soft" sails that move are terrible when overpowered. And so are windsurf sails. I'm beginning to find rigidness comparable to preciseness and crispness. Sloppy baggy contoursions always seem to be harder to handle when maxed out.

I haven't ridden the wings overpowered enough to say conclusively. But I can say the 5m strike was very easy to handle in 25kts where-as previously on my swing I would have really had my hands full.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm

slowboat wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:27 pm
I get that more rigid wings have better low end but in my experience with many wings, the more rigid ones have worse high end. For example, they don’t spill wind during gusts which forces you to actively depower them.
Hence why rigid wings are not marketed to beginners, because they haven't acquired the techniques to actively or precisely depower. And a softer baggy wing will soak up the gust by itself, no big spike of power, with no need for the rider to change much. But in doing so, it will also distort badly, the pressure will likely shift towards the back hand, and it will be shit anyway... Exactly same for windsurf sails.
A rigid wing will make you feel every gust, with increases of power that the rider needs to handle and transfer to the board, that takes a bit more technique.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 am

We may mean different things when we say “ overpowered”. A “softer” wing works better when overpowered, regardless of skill level.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 am

We may mean different things when we say “ overpowered”. A “softer” wing works better when overpowered, regardless of skill level.

Having said that, I prefer stiffer wings and look forward to trying the Strike.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:03 am

Ridden both S wing and Strike. Had a full quiver of Swings, loved them but they had some quirks. Changed to another brand of gen 2 wings which are much stiffer and more powerful than S wing. More technical to fly but offer more to an experienced winger. Recently rode a Strike. It’s a nice wing, has the softer feel of the Swing which is very comfortable to ride and tends to spill wind when overpowered so you just hold it and it auto depowers rather than needing to tune it like a more rigid wing. Very light like the S wing which is also nice. Overall it feels like a more evolved version of the SWing with improved handling and power but to me it felt like they missed the opportunity to make a more rigid and powerful wing in the vein of most of the gen 2 wings. There is no quantum leap in performance, more of an evolutionary step. It’s probably a preference thing as some will like it’s familiar easy feel but I think many experienced riders will prefer a wing with a little more “balls”. Horses for courses I guess. Probably good that FOne is not necessarily following the herd and offer something a little different in feel from where the others are headed. Gives us points of difference to choose between.
These users thanked the author Slyde for the post (total 2):
slowboat (Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:14 pm) • joekitetime (Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Alysum
Medium Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm

I tried the strike 5m and I was mind blown on how performant it was. Great shape. Zero backwind. I hit 21 knots speed with that wing.

However I am really put off by those tiny silly handles. They are very well placed but what were they thinking with making them that small? Keeping your hands closed all the way tires them a lot quicker than thicker handles. They are too flexible as well which makes pumping tricky. The 5m has a huge span that it catches water often.

It would be a great wing in its smaller sizes for high wind I think.

Return to “Wingsurfing”