Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wing harness - post yours

Forum for wing surfers
User avatar
Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:05 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Wing harness - post yours

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 am

More and more riders are using a harness for winging but it could damage your board depending on you starting technique.

I see a lot of selfmade carbon or plastic hooks, 3D printed, some just use an old plastic windsurf hook.

Obviously attaching the hoog to the belt leash is OK as there is not much pull and is light. You can also slide it when getting on the board.

Anyone a brilliant idea before some brand finally make a dedicated wing hook?

User avatar
Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:05 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:31 am

here are a few


Image

Image
154078061_3911596395528065_7809803452285728766_n.jpg
Attachments
safe_image.php.jpg
156053180_4110248485654566_6858317767013419164_n.jpg

Dontsink
Rare Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby Dontsink » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:34 pm

I like the white one, 3D print i guess?.
Maybe it can be done with something like Instamorph plastic.Rough mold and then cut& dremel to shape.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:20 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.
Location: Porirua New Zealand
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby fluidity » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 am

Dontsink wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:34 pm
I like the white one, 3D print i guess?.
Maybe it can be done with something like Instamorph plastic.Rough mold and then cut& dremel to shape.
Also known as polymorph and friendly plastic? Only issue, minor motion of line through hook will melt into it.

Maybe supporting a piece of SS as the bearing surface for the rope though? Yachting sliders?

User avatar
bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast
Location: Te Wai Pounamu
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 104 times
Contact:

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby bragnouff » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 am

I have tried harness a few times and used my Mystic Two Face harness for that. Main advantage is that the spreader bar can be shifted to the side so it won't damage the board when climbing on it. Apart from that, it's kind of overkill, and something lighter and softer would probably be more adapted.

Dontsink
Rare Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby Dontsink » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am

fluidity wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 am
Dontsink wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:34 pm
I like the white one, 3D print i guess?.
Maybe it can be done with something like Instamorph plastic.Rough mold and then cut& dremel to shape.
Also known as polymorph and friendly plastic? Only issue, minor motion of line through hook will melt into it.

Maybe supporting a piece of SS as the bearing surface for the rope though? Yachting sliders?
Yes,polymorph.The pellets you put in boiling water and go soft.It surprised me how solid it gets when it cools down.

I put my harness line inside plastic tubing, with everything wet and the low pull forces it might just work by itself.
But putting some reinforcement on the inside surface of the hook is a good idea.
Something like this,cut into a hook maybe?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Hq3HbZeSoS4R8XyV8

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:24 pm

Dakine make a Maniac kite hammerhead sliding hook, which needs to be modified to a windsurf shaped hook.
They also make a windsurf sliding hook which is 20cm wide in the smallest size.
https://www.dakine-shop.com/Dakine-Wind ... k-Assorted
Image

I bought the Maniac kite hook 12" sliding spreader bar and modified the hammerhead. I also bent the right side of the spreader bar to a slightly tighter curve. I adjusted the straps to position the spreader bar as far to the right as possible.
maniac bar 2.JPG
IMO
A windsurf shaped sliding hook is needed which can slide on a wide stiff belt - so a same width, but shorter and better shaped version of the hammerhead hook. The belt could be very slightly smaller in the centre front, so the hook would tend to stay there unless forced to either side. As soon as the belt gets to the limit for travel to either side, it should be attached to a back support waist harness (with an option to add leg attachments - like the Ocean Rodeo Session harness). If you only want it to slide to one side and use leg attachments, then a strap could be used to stop the centre of the belt rotating up (like the yellow string on my harness).

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:20 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.
Location: Porirua New Zealand
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby fluidity » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:06 pm

Dontsink wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am
fluidity wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 am
Dontsink wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:34 pm
I like the white one, 3D print i guess?.
Maybe it can be done with something like Instamorph plastic.Rough mold and then cut& dremel to shape.
Also known as polymorph and friendly plastic? Only issue, minor motion of line through hook will melt into it.

Maybe supporting a piece of SS as the bearing surface for the rope though? Yachting sliders?
Yes,polymorph.The pellets you put in boiling water and go soft.It surprised me how solid it gets when it cools down.

I put my harness line inside plastic tubing, with everything wet and the low pull forces it might just work by itself.
But putting some reinforcement on the inside surface of the hook is a good idea.
Something like this,cut into a hook maybe?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Hq3HbZeSoS4R8XyV8
Perfect!

Dontsink
Rare Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby Dontsink » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am

My new harness.
Dive belt with plastic hook ,made from a 2cm thick nylon cutting board.
Just sailed it,works great.
The hook can be slid out of the way but you don't need to.When you lay on your belly it just folds flat.
I would prefer a nylon buckle,might change it.

Not as cushy as a true waist harness with spreader but it is more than enough for the wing.
Attachments
IMG_20210318_091304.jpg
IMG_20210318_091301.jpg
IMG_20210318_091257.jpg
IMG_20210318_091253.jpg

User avatar
Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:05 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:03 pm

Dontsink wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am
Dive belt with plastic hook ,made from a 2cm thick nylon cutting board.
Just sailed it,works great.
The hook can be slid out of the way but you don't need to.When you lay on your belly it just folds flat.
that's the winner

I'va got a similar hook beeing printed right now


Return to “Wingsurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest