Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wing harness - post yours

Forum for wing surfers
pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wing harness - post yours

Postby pitbulldoug » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 am

I’ve been using a simple axis waist belt with old kiting dakine maniac hook and kaohi dbl coil leash with rail saver handle for close to a year at 225lbs and it’s worked really well for me.I just received a new NSI simple winging specific harness and looking forward to trying it shortly.Being a longtime kiter for me for winging I just don’t need a bulky heavy kiting harness for winging plus if I did use my kiting harness my board would probably be toast from spreader bar damage,as the one I’ve been using with maniac hook is very flexible on Velcro belt and very easy on the board,The new NSI has a plastic hook that does not protrude out or less than 1/2 of maniac hook so going to be interesting how the ease of hooking is compared to maniac hook,will soon find out how it rides

F3B9301E-655C-4A8D-9860-2FE6DDF560A2.jpeg
58EACEAA-B258-49C2-8D6D-E19E973E9BA4.jpeg

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 am

The NSI hook design is what i copied.I was making a more complicated one (like the white one in the beginning of the thread) with some lateral support at the base but it is not necessary.
The hook stays pointing the right way unless you lay on top of it,then it goes flat.
Hooking is just the same ,i noticed no difference.
You might feel it compresses a bit more because the maniac has a bit of spreader plate in comparison,that's all.
I have sailed mine in overpowered 4m conditions and it works very well,and no more gymnastics getting back on board... :)

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:36 am

Last edited by mikelet on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 am

I can hold my windwing handles with a couple of fingers well powered upwind so I think a harness and lines only need to be minimal.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:42 pm

mikelet wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:36 am
I found in my garage a forgotten Dakine spreader bar with rope/sliding hook that i had never used with kites . Good thing about is that i can fold the hook upside down or move it sideways to get on board...Later i purchased a good deal on a Dakine Travelight harness that it's a very light and minimalist dedicated foiling harness ...the combo seems real good for me , still in the learning curve but plan to use it pretty soon....
ImageImage
All due respect IMO,but that’s way more than you need for winging that kiting spreader bar/hook is not going to be very friendly on your board,winging you just don’t need that heavy duty of a harness set up keep it simple lighter more better! Too each his own though of course

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster

Postby pitbulldoug » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:14 pm

First session on the new NSI minimalist harness yesterday and must say went pretty good,was little concerned about the plastic hook not sticking out enough compared to old maniac hook I’ve been using for close to a year,but ease of hooking in and out was quite smooth even for a big guy at 225. So much better having wing leash and board leash connected to waist belt,can’t believe I was riding over a year with a wrist leash,good way to tweak your shoulder! For a V1 NSI did a good job,sure they could improve a couple of things for a V2 but the V1 is pretty darn good for first session impressions it’s simple and lightweight and functional that’s all you need really.for those that want a even simpler route just get the NSI wing leash belt with there plastic hook another simple good cost effective harness as well,Finally a good simple lightweight not bulky board friendly winging harness props to NSI 👍

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:00 pm

alfigo
Rare Poster
Gear: 10
Been thanked: 0

Postby alfigo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:10 pm

Hello, this is my prototype to test tomorrow. It is built with Bakelite. I hope it holds ...
Attachments
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:28 am

Ride Engine Vinaca with Ocean Rodeo leg straps and a Ronstan SHOCK slider pulley to keep the hook low. The Ronstan is connected to the hook with Powerline kite line. A plastic clip connects the rope to the right leg strap ring.
The hook is made from 20mm thick PTFE for low friction. It has convex surfaces at the back surface, the front surface and at the front side of the slot, to make it flip flat to the body more easily. The rear surface of the slot is flat to keep the hook at 90 degrees to the strap, when it isn't pushed flat.
PTFEHOOK VINACA OR STRAPS.jpg
I found I had to add an elastic rope - like on the OR Session harness for the straps (which have loops to attach the elastic). The elastic stops the straps being moved lower on the thighs when climbing onto and kneeling on the board.
elasticstraps.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Tue May 31, 2022 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

spokey doke
Rare Poster
Weight: 140
Gear: 1991 stumpjumper with a rack on the back
Been thanked: 0

Postby spokey doke » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 6.25.50 AM.png

Return to “Wingsurfing”