Straps and Hooks

Forum for wing surfers
diogoveb
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Straps and Hooks

Postby diogoveb » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am

Hi,

As shown in this video ( straps can help beginners pump the board. Can I use foot hooks instead?

Besides, How exactly should I waterstart with straps or hooks on a high volume board? Thank you.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Straps and Hooks

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 pm

You dont.... (waterstart on a big volume board)

You climb on the board, and use the wing to support you to stand up, and then get into the straps.

Meaning, not much sense using hooks IMO, as the wing does not catapult you like a kite can.

8) Peter

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am

diogoveb wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am
Hi,
As shown in this video straps can help beginners pump the board. Can I use foot hooks instead?
Besides, How exactly should I waterstart with straps or hooks on a high volume board? Thank you.
You'd need a back hook too but there's not much point. Two straps give a more reliable connection to the board. A strap can be soft but a hook has to be hard. Better to have freedom over your exact foot placement.
Windsurfing waterstart uses the leverage of the long mast to lift you with the boom. There is no leverage like this from a wing.
Don't 100% believe that guy in the video. Many board/foil combinations require the mast to be at a minimum all the way at the back of the box. Also you can pump up on foil without straps, you just can't put up-force into it.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 am

fluidity wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am
diogoveb wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am

Don't 100% believe that guy in the video. Many board/foil combinations require the mast to be at a minimum all the way at the back of the box. Also you can pump up on foil without straps, you just can't put up-force into it.
:thumb: :thumb: Placement of the mast on the board depends on your weight and size of front wing you are using. Typically the less your weight the more back you move the mast and the bigger your front wing the more forward you place the mast.

Footstraps on bigger boards are unnecessary, they just get in the way and you don't get a true feel for the board. As for them being easier for pumping it's true but pumping a 100l + board sucks anyway...

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:01 am

As a beginner you are better off without footstraps.
Robby Naish talks about footstraps for wingfoiling in an recent article.To sum up:

-You do not need them at all unless you are going to jump or surf really hard turns.
-You have to know where your feet go to feel balanced on foil,with lots of precision.If you place the straps just a bit wrong you will be miserable.
-Safety: foils have lots of leverage and as a beginner you will fall many times and very unexpectedly ,chances of ankle injury are big.

Return to “Wingsurfing”