Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: North Nova Wing Review

Postby nixmatters » Mon May 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Dontsink wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 am
Anybody know the weights for the Nova?
4,2m - 2712 grams
5,0m - 3076 grams
These weights include the wrist leash, webbing strap and the extended warranty wrap.
Attachments
North Nova 5m - 3076g.jpg
North Nova 4,2m - 2712g.jpg
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Dontsink (Mon May 31, 2021 10:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 pm

For what its worth, i bought and sold a North Nova 5m after a few sessions. The handles just felt too big to hold without my forearms getting pumped out ... ymmv as I'm slightly less than average height, but esp for smaller people (kids, teens, women, non-bear-paw men) I would pass on this one.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 pm

foursquare wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 pm
For what its worth, i bought and sold a North Nova 5m after a few sessions. The handles just felt too big to hold without my forearms getting pumped out ... ymmv as I'm slightly less than average height, but esp for smaller people (kids, teens, women, non-bear-paw men) I would pass on this one.
I don't quite undetstand what you mean. The Nova has pretty much "middle of the road" thickness for the handles. Most other brands have thicker and larger handles. I can only name a few with thinner handles. Or do you mean something esle with "they felt too big"?

I have an average hand size and I find the diameter very comfy on the Nova.

--
Gunnar

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 pm
foursquare wrote:
I don't quite undetstand what you mean. The Nova has pretty much "middle of the road" thickness for the handles. Most other brands have thicker and larger handles. I can only name a few with thinner handles. Or do you mean something esle with "they felt too big"?

--
Gunnar
I just think there is a bit more diameter in the Nova handles that doesn't seem to compress (vs. the ultra skinny strike and swing's, the foldable v1 wasp, the compressible v2 wasp, etc).

In rock climbing, the larger diameter holds ... or really any hold you can't curly your fingertips into tends to make your forearms "pump" a little faster/harder. Once you're pumped you can't climb anymore. For me, it wasn't until i tried the nova that i ever had this issue, so after trying 5+ brands of wings I'm skeptical that it's my bad technique.

Also, i measured different handles with a tailors tap, and it truly was fractions of a centimeter of difference from the wasp, so it could be that beyond a certain size, for certain hand sizes, that it's just barely beyond the threshold of comfort. It seems like a lot of brands have a large diversity of testers, but i bet they are slightly more likely to be bigger/athletic guys with big hands --- but that's just my hunch.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 pm

foursquare wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 pm
foursquare wrote:

--
Gunnar
I just think there is a bit more diameter in the Nova handles that doesn't seem to compress (vs. the ultra skinny strike and swing's, the foldable v1 wasp, the compressible v2 wasp, etc).

In rock climbing, the larger diameter holds ... or really any hold you can't curly your fingertips into tends to make your forearms "pump" a little faster/harder. Once you're pumped you can't climb anymore. For me, it wasn't until i tried the nova that i ever had this issue, so after trying 5+ brands of wings I'm skeptical that it's my bad technique.

Also, i measured different handles with a tailors tap, and it truly was fractions of a centimeter of difference from the wasp, so it could be that beyond a certain size, for certain hand sizes, that it's just barely beyond the threshold of comfort. It seems like a lot of brands have a large diversity of testers, but i bet they are slightly more likely to be bigger/athletic guys with big hands --- but that's just my hunch.
In Norths Case I can tell you that most of the testers have normal to small size hands.

Personally I find the Swings and Strikes handles too thin and uncomfotable and the Wasp V2 handle too soft. But with handles it is a matter of taste and what you can get used to. I tend to prefer to have control and this is why I prefer stiff handles rather than thin and loose.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Wingsurfing”