Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Forum for wing surfers
papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:18 am
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 19 times

what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby papasmerf » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:10 am

i was hoping to try winging this spring,, i have a 110cm mast ghost whisperer with the kite fuse,,,, i suppose i have to get a whole new fuse, s tab and front wing. i was thinking something really big and high aspect,, any recommendations? it's a beast of a board but i got it cheap. have a 5 and 6 slingwing 2 200 lbs of suet

Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 pm

I also am getting into winging, have a 110cm Moses comet foil for kiting. I ended up buying a cheap aluminum surf foil setup instead for winging, as I’m not sure how the 110cm mast would handle the torque of a huge front wing and all the threats associated with learning, crashes, etc. Maybe once proficient at winging, I’ll figure out a winging setup for the 110cm mast.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby joekitetime » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm

The question isn't what front wing for that board. Most any wing foil will work on a beginner board that you will ditch in 1-3 weeks. The question is which foil for your moses mast and fuse, and that answer is none. No wing foil works on the kite fuse unless you buy their kite to surf adapter. Personally I'd go with another company for winging than moses. Moses does not excel on the wing foil line in my opinion, although they do make several wings that work.

But for winging you are starting over regarding foil equipment. The mast is too long, for sure too long for learning. And, it may or may not be too flexible to hold a big foil. It probably just can't support a huge foil.

I hope that helps!

Thijs77
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: foil
Gear: F-one swing 3.5 and 6, moses w1100 w1000 w950 w633 T35, F-one rocket wing 5'4, Ozone Alpha 10m Edge 9m, Nobile Skim, Nobile NHP split
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby Thijs77 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi Joe, I'm curious why moses does not excel in the wing foil line in your opinion. Thanks!

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:18 am
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby papasmerf » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:44 am

joekitetime wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm
The question isn't what front wing for that board. Most any wing foil will work on a beginner board that you will ditch in 1-3 weeks. The question is which foil for your moses mast and fuse, and that answer is none. No wing foil works on the kite fuse unless you buy their kite to surf adapter. Personally I'd go with another company for winging than moses. Moses does not excel on the wing foil line in my opinion, although they do make several wings that work.

But for winging you are starting over regarding foil equipment. The mast is too long, for sure too long for learning. And, it may or may not be too flexible to hold a big foil. It probably just can't support a huge foil.

I hope that helps!
thanks joe, i do know i have to get a new fuse and stab but it sounds like a waste of money since the mast is probably not strong enough

it does suck that i will ditch that board in a few weeks, but i did only pay 200 bucks for it so that is good,

can you recomend a board for next stage after i ditch that one?

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby joekitetime » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Thijs77 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pm
Hi Joe, I'm curious why moses does not excel in the wing foil line in your opinion. Thanks!
I ditched Moses last year after having owned every foil and stab they made up to last year. I think they make quality gear for sure, and I sure did like them for kite foiling.

But not for wing.

I winged on the 633. Awful. I winged lit on the 695 - fast, it worked, but awful. I had all their foils that worked for winging - the 1000, the 900, the 1100, the 790 and the 873. Each one was good at something. Carrying 5 foils to go wing is a lot - not to mention me constantly changing stabs! Way too many combos! The 1000 was fast but was lousy at turning.
The 900 was better but needs power. the 1100 was ok, but still hard to carve. The 790 was the best overall I thought. The 873 was a beast to get on foil, like a rhyno, but gets overpowered easily. Having all their wings (and masts), but not really having one foil in particular that I enjoyed kinda sucked, especially with the money I had into all this gear.

Tucker at Mackite gave me a Phanton 1480 to try. After 10 minutes I fell in love with the phantoms - it was immediately everything I wanted in a wing - they glided super well, went fast, easy to carve, gentle, they don't cavitate like the moses wide wings when you breach a wingtip. After 10 minutes I was sold, and bought the full line of phantoms and sold all my moses gear.

There are several other brands I wish I could try, but f-one's phantoms were just epic for winging for me. I also use the 1080 kite foiling when the wind is light. I can tell you it is winging on steroids. So now I carry the 1080, 1280, 1480 and 1780 for winging and totally love those foils. Being the same design, just different sizes makes them super easy to switch back and forth from. The moses stuff I had to spend 15 minutes getting used to a new design when I swapped foils which I didn't like.

I hope that helps!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
Thijs77 (Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:12 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby joekitetime » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:44 am
joekitetime wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm
The question isn't what front wing for that board. Most any wing foil will work on a beginner board that you will ditch in 1-3 weeks. The question is which foil for your moses mast and fuse, and that answer is none. No wing foil works on the kite fuse unless you buy their kite to surf adapter. Personally I'd go with another company for winging than moses. Moses does not excel on the wing foil line in my opinion, although they do make several wings that work.

But for winging you are starting over regarding foil equipment. The mast is too long, for sure too long for learning. And, it may or may not be too flexible to hold a big foil. It probably just can't support a huge foil.

I hope that helps!
thanks joe, i do know i have to get a new fuse and stab but it sounds like a waste of money since the mast is probably not strong enough

it does suck that i will ditch that board in a few weeks, but i did only pay 200 bucks for it so that is good,

can you recomend a board for next stage after i ditch that one?
I've ridden fanatic, naish and fone and have been very happy with their lines of boards. I do prefer fone right now due to being the lightest and I don't ride straps. I'm riding the 75L and 46L. The 46L is my favorite board of all time. However, again, I was happy with the fanatics, the naishes and the fone lines. They all work great! As you progress there is a magic board size which is a combination of the smallest and lightest board you can get going on compared to a board big enough that it isn't a hassle to get going. That combo depends on the conditions you ride in and your skill level. It is pretty easy to get up on really small boards in windy conditions, but if you go far from your launch they are more difficult to paddle back if the wind shuts down. Big boards are a chore but best in fluky crappy winds or when you just want to cruise, or really light winds. A "medium" board is a good compromise for a one board quiver.

Thijs77
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: foil
Gear: F-one swing 3.5 and 6, moses w1100 w1000 w950 w633 T35, F-one rocket wing 5'4, Ozone Alpha 10m Edge 9m, Nobile Skim, Nobile NHP split
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby Thijs77 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Thanks for your explanation Joe! I have the same problem with moses, lot's of gear.. I noticed that when I change the frontwing and stab depending on conditions, I always have to get used to that combo again. Not ideal for mastering flying foot changes and tacks winging.. The W950 feels ok but I will demo the phantom 1480.
I like the swings and rocket V2 5'4 a lot so why not the foil f-one too :) How about weight moses setup vs f-one with carbon mast?
Last edited by Thijs77 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: what front wing with moses mast 7 ft naish board

Postby joekitetime » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Thijs77 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 pm
Thanks for your explanation Joe! I have the same problem with moses, lot's of gear.. I noticed that when I change the frontwing and stab depending on conditions, I always have to get used to that combo again. Not ideal for mastering flying foot changes and tacks winging.. The W950 feels ok but I will demo the phantom 1480.
I like the swings and rocket V2 5'4 a lot so why not the foil f-one too :) How about weight moses setup vs f-one with carbon mast?
Based solely on memory and perception, my f-one carbon foils/masts etc weigh the same as my moses did, all dependent upon size of front wing.


Return to “Wingsurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests