Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wing foil any relation to kiteboarding?

Forum for wing surfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Wing foil any relation to kiteboarding?

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:36 am

fluidity wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:20 am
windmaker wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am
fluidity wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 am
Going out over waves is easy like kiting. You can get lift from the wing, not nearly so much with a sail.
Combination of wing and foil makes getting through big waves really easy compared with wind surfing. I've not kite foiled but normal kiteboarding is similar with the lift but having the foil lifting while the board is over breaking wave is also an advantage.
Going out through waves is easier with wing foil than with windsurf? More like the opposite...
If you disagree then it would be interesting to see you state your justification... I spend about 5 years wind surfing and the same kiteboarding, I'm only several months in wing foiling and it's already much easier going over waves. The foil slips under and I slip over. I pick up speed better, I maintain speed better.. At the moment I'm on big foils so I don't go as fast as wind surfing but I would wipe out much more frequently going over big waves wind surfing wen I was younger, skinnier and fitter :lol:
I seen it with my own eyes, dude here on a wing getting through very large close outs on a wing that windsurfers struggle through... I was surprised how well they got through them... also a bit disappointed that there was another craft to get in the way.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:54 am

fluidity wrote:
windmaker wrote:
fluidity wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 am
Going out over waves is easy like kiting. You can get lift from the wing, not nearly so much with a sail.
Combination of wing and foil makes getting through big waves really easy compared with wind surfing. I've not kite foiled but normal kiteboarding is similar with the lift but having the foil lifting while the board is over breaking wave is also an advantage.
Going out through waves is easier with wing foil than with windsurf? More like the opposite...
If you disagree then it would be interesting to see you state your justification... I spend about 5 years wind surfing and the same kiteboarding, I'm only several months in wing foiling and it's already much easier going over waves. The foil slips under and I slip over. I pick up speed better, I maintain speed better.. At the moment I'm on big foils so I don't go as fast as wind surfing but I would wipe out much more frequently going over big waves wind surfing wen I was younger, skinnier and fitter :lol:
I am not sure what you call waves. I windsurfed for 25 years and raced at Olympic level but I am wave rider at heart, started kitefoiling in 2004 so very experienced there too, transitioning to Wing foil was easy as it combines both sports.

Getting over 1.5m walls of white water with a windsurf is no easy task and only achievable by good riders, but that's something I have never seen done with a Wing foil ?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:58 am

Dontsink wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 am
It is arguably a kite with your arms as lines.
If both are so similar, you reckon you could reverse the process and give a kite to a winger the first time with no issues whatsoever :)?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:59 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:54 am
fluidity wrote:
windmaker wrote:

I am not sure what you call waves. I windsurfed for 25 years and raced at Olympic level but I am wave rider at heart, started kitefoiling in 2004 so very experienced there too, transitioning to Wing foil was easy as it combines both sports.

Getting over 1.5m walls of white water with a windsurf is no easy task but no issues for good riders, but that's something I have never seen done with a Wing foil ?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:10 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:54 am
fluidity wrote:
windmaker wrote:

Getting over 1.5m walls of white water with a windsurf is no easy task and only achievable by good riders, but that's something I have never seen done with a Wing foil ?
At the moment when I fall off wing foiling I put it down to my inexperience but then I've also been having a blast wing floiling though I'm still pretty new to tackling waves wing foiling, and I pass a fair number of wind surfers who have wiped out trying to get over waves. It's not like I'm a whizz at it either. I'm only using a 650mm mast. But at my favorite spot I'm usually out when I can, between about 12 knots and 30+ knots. For the stronger wind my Naish wing comes alive as it has great depower. I'm not seeking the sections with big walls of water but even so, getting a half meter clearance of the board from the surface of the wave hollow under a frothing or curling tip is a big advantage and I can convert sideways drive to lift from changing the wing angle far more effectively on a wing than wind surfing.

I think maybe you are just so proficient at wind surfing that you are taking a while to unlearn some windsurf skills that hold you back winging?

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dontsink » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:48 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:58 am
Dontsink wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 am
It is arguably a kite with your arms as lines.
If both are so similar, you reckon you could reverse the process and give a kite to a winger the first time with no issues whatsoever :)?
Mmm...if he was my worst enemy and we used your kite for the experiment then yes :)

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alexglebov » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:05 pm

We need to pump both of them - a wing and a kite :)

Return to “Wingsurfing”