Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

second session on a wing

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: second session on a wing

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:52 pm

True, but I am not referring to Navy in this respect about front wing sizes, but around here those who are average weight and also 10-15 % heavier.

Noone uses wings above 6 m2 here (and there are MANY low wind days, last 3 weeks not possible to wing at all), and foilwings are getting smaller and smaller, also by beginners.

In my experience you never get overpowered wingfoiling, if you have a big foilwing.
They are just too slow and sluggish, even slow windwaves will outrun you, and they feel "bad", as once up, nothing more happens, no glide and feel draggy.

Thus many seem to use smaller foilwings now, also for learning.

Have just observed this tendency around here.

8) Peter

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:12 pm

Foxi wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 am
Peter I think that local conditions differ a lot, especially if there are no currents/waves available and gusts end up with zero kts for minutes.
Bigger frontwings extend time on the water for those, who can´t or will not add a bigger wing to their quiver or dislike the cons in handling a 8m wing has without doubts.
Navy with his 67kgs isn´t representative for 8m riders around the area I live. I´m sure he needs the smaller front wing as with bigger ones he would feel overpowered as soon the got on foil whatever wind speeds.
It would be interesting to see if he had efficiency losses at all with a combo ltd to 7m CWC. Navy, did you try before you bought the 8m or was it an all in decision ? :bye:
[/quote]

Hi Foxi,

at sea we don't need the W950 with the 8m² CWC... or maybe on an anemic day with 6-7kn if you want to wing.

On the inland lake we definitely need the big wing and big foil... on that lake we have most of the time conditions in which most wingers don't bother going on the water...
But it's true if the wind picks up a bit (like gusting 13-14kn 8m² and big foil is difficult to handle) we simply go to the 5,5m² or take a smaller foil. Changing gear takes max 10 minutes.

we did not try the 7 but wanted the lowest possible lowend to maximise the water-time...

If we lived in a more windy place we would probably nog to bigger than 6m² with W950 as biggest foil.

nayy

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:59 am

nayy wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:12 pm
Foxi wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 am
Peter I think that local conditions differ a lot, especially if there are no currents/waves available and gusts end up with zero kts for minutes.
Bigger frontwings extend time on the water for those, who can´t or will not add a bigger wing to their quiver or dislike the cons in handling a 8m wing has without doubts.
Navy with his 67kgs isn´t representative for 8m riders around the area I live. I´m sure he needs the smaller front wing as with bigger ones he would feel overpowered as soon the got on foil whatever wind speeds.
It would be interesting to see if he had efficiency losses at all with a combo ltd to 7m CWC. Navy, did you try before you bought the 8m or was it an all in decision ? :bye:
Hi Foxi,

at sea we don't need the W950 with the 8m² CWC... or maybe on an anemic day with 6-7kn if you want to wing.

On the inland lake we definitely need the big wing and big foil... on that lake we have most of the time conditions in which most wingers don't bother going on the water...
But it's true if the wind picks up a bit (like gusting 13-14kn 8m² and big foil is difficult to handle) we simply go to the 5,5m² or take a smaller foil. Changing gear takes max 10 minutes.

we did not try the 7 but wanted the lowest possible lowend to maximise the water-time...

If we lived in a more windy place we would probably nog to bigger than 6m² with W950 as biggest foil.

nayy
[/quote]

Hi Navy, I got it - at my home spot the wind zone oftenly takes a 20min swim/taxi to access so that equipment change comes at significant costs. Especially if temperatures leave summer mode. Your all in is easier to reverse accordingly, but nevertheless it remains interesting where wing/foilsize setup finds its efficiency optimum to finally go for. keep on testing and of course your videos help a lot understanding your conditions !
These users thanked the author Foxi for the post:
nayy (Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:03 pm

wingfoil 99th session:
new foil W999 will replace my W1100 as light wind foil...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:49 pm

Wouldnt a 7 m2 be better in these conditions?

Almost same lowend, can be pumped harder, and not overpowered in gusts?

8) Peter

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:24 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:49 pm
Wouldnt a 7 m2 be better in these conditions?

Almost same lowend, can be pumped harder, and not overpowered in gusts?

8) Peter
Hi Peter,

most days on that lake have just irregular and anemic wind... so to maximize the usable days we went as big as possible...
This is a new 8m² as we had an accident with the old en doubted between a new 7 or 8 but went for the 8...
When gusts go above 12kn the 8 is too big. (we hardly have days with more then 14kn in summer)
8 is the mose used kite... and if to big the swap is very fast ... takes max 10 minutes.

On onther places where we wing (seaside) the biggest we would go would be a 5.5 probably...

Nayy

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:51 pm

Arrived at the spot, the wind was 5kn less than predicted...

The opportunity to check the ultimate lowend of our gear... 4-6 kn...

scratching the limit...

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:48 pm

Here we go... session 102 ...
Early morning session...

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:43 am

Nice videos. How do you like your F-One CWC Strike 8m wing? From what I've heard it is one of the best light wind wings.

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:16 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:43 am
Nice videos. How do you like your F-One CWC Strike 8m wing? From what I've heard it is one of the best light wind wings.
Sorry for late reply, only saw your post now.
Yes, the 8 is very good, but only relevant if you live in a place with lots of light wind (<9kn) and you want to foil in such conditions.
Cannot compare to other 8m², did not test any other size.

8m² will never give the same feeling/fun as a 5m² but it's a real session saver and a must have if you live in a light wind place. (40% of our sessions are with the 8m²)

with more >12kn of wind the 8 is too big for 68kg rider.

Nayy

Return to “Wingsurfing”