second session on a wing

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: second session on a wing

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Aaah, then it makes sense.

I saw some using old volleyball knee protectors.

But I guess one can buy some a lot cheaper for gardening?

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon May 09, 2022 12:16 am

If you have wind, there is no point in spending any significant time on your knees. It's painful on your knees and toes, unstable because you can't easily adjust your position around the deck, and inefficient because you can't keep the wing upright, and you can't get the right balance on the board to accelerate or to direct the board where you want to go.
Once you're on your knees and you finally have the wing in your hands, you start moving and from there you should be standing up within 5-10 seconds max. The longer you wait, the worse it actually gets. Practice kneeling to standing up hands-free at home, on carpet, both sides, so that muscle weakness isn't a limiting factor.
Initially I was kneeling "sideways", board across the wind, my back to the wind and wing downwind of the board, which I thought made sense, but it was incredibly hard due to chop and difficulty to balance the roll of the board. Difficult to get on my feet from there too. Then later, I had the nose of the board pointing downwind, the wing's leading edge resting over the nose giving huge roll stability and kneeling facing the nose of the board (like you'd do on a SUP) with the wind in my back. That was a complete game changer for me. Hope this helps!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 09, 2022 5:52 am

Agree with that - you should not use long on your knees.

BUT, sometimes you have to, also when experienced.
If going out over the shallows with sandbanks, and wing a bit low, and mushy chop (most common conditions in most spots actually) - you might have to taxi slowly out to a bit deeper water till its safe to get up standing, and easier as no breaking waves.

Otherwise, if okay wind and no ground you should not be on the board for long.

I dont like to have both feet on the board - some do this, others dont.
Find it faster and easier to have both shins diagonally over the centre of the board, feet or at least the front foot just outside the board.
An find it much more stable this way - whereas you say you find having both shinns and feet on the board pointing forward, more stable - so apparently very individual.

But diagonally, this way you dont point downwind (not possible to ride now without hitting the ground, unless sideshore) and it takes split seconds to get up - you dont have to maneuver or balance yourself in position first.
I put my front foot up first, and then the rear - but a few do it opposite, both apparently works (I dont like rear foot up first myself though).

My point is, both methods seems to work just fine :thumb:

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon May 09, 2022 6:52 am

To be honest, now that I have many more hours under my belt, I'm also a bit more diagonal on the board with a foot overhanging sometimes. And I'm getting much faster at climbing onto the board and getting the wing in hands, so there's very little time of actually moving downwind, maybe a meter or two max, as the board swings 90 degrees pretty fast once the rear hand sheets in. I just remember how much it helped me initially. And having the board facing downwind made it much less sensitive to chop while trying to get balanced on knees, with the help of the leading edge in front.

But for sure, whatever works!

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 pm

A friend let me borrow his 5'11", 99L Armstrong Wing Sup last Sunday. It was my 5th time out.

Front wing was Axis 1150 PNG, Short fuse, and 400 Freeride rear. Was using a 5.4m Slingwing V2 and wind was ~ 14 knots.

I used a 90 cm mast, but a 75 would have been nice since only small chop.

By the end of the session, I was finally able to stay upwind. I can go great upwind one direction, but heading back with my right foot forward is still tricky.

Getting up on the 1150 was pretty easy (1778 cm2) with a few pumps and once up just glides.

Still figuring out how to handle the wing/arm position. Definitely is a workout and I was aching the day after :D
Attachments
Axis_1150.jpg
Axis_1150.jpg (120.1 KiB) Viewed 3806 times

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue May 10, 2022 2:00 am

I'll have to try positioning myself more diagonal as suggested. My legs were lining up with the board while kneeling. Made it harder to go upwind as it was difficult toposition the wing towards the back of the board. Thank you all for your good advice. I'm giving my legs a rest a couple more days before I venture out again. When I do I will definitely attempt to stand up.

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Thu May 12, 2022 6:04 pm

wingfoil 61-th session:
First session with the F-one Strike V2 5.5m² in light conditions...
Testing it with a big and a medium foil...

First session with the Strike V2 5.5 in light wind... tested with a big and a medium foil...
Last edited by nayy on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Had my 3rd session and positioned myself diagonally on the board. Was able to go upwind kneeling. On the third run I stood up on my feet on the board and made a 100 yd run until the wind lulled and I could not maintain balance. Turned around, waited for the wind to pick back up and rode back standing up, upwind of where I started. Made a couple more runs until the tide was out so that the foil was hitting the grass on the bottom. Super stoked and my goal next time is to fly on the foil.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat May 14, 2022 7:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Mon May 23, 2022 5:31 pm

wingfoil 64th session:
low wind, big wing and big foil...

Last edited by nayy on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JakeFarley » Mon May 23, 2022 10:44 pm

Had my 4th session yesterday in nominal winds (8-10 knots). I am getting up faster on my feet but could not fly on the foil. One funny thing happened when I climbed on the board. My board shorts came untied and went down to my knees. :o Fortunately I was wearing compression shorts underneath. I'm sure some beach goers saw me as I was about 50' from the shore when it happened. Next time I will double tie my board shorts. :D

Return to “Wingsurfing”