I'm 6 foot, a bit fat, unfit and I can get going on a 2600 sqcm foil when wave tips are just curling over now i have some months experience. It's more important to have a wing with powerful thick profile than it is to have a huge wing. 6m is big for your weight. Get something like a 5 or 4.5 and you will have more clearance around the wing tips to pump it. At 6 foot I still find my 6m Ensis a bit bulky but it pumps well. Consider that as your technique develops you will provide a significant portion of the starting power and then the apparent wind will kick in and your effort will drop. But just starting, that's all really difficult, it takes a bit for the muscle memory to kick in and to coordinate swinging the wing and body centre of gravity effectively while the board is moving.blackswan wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:59 pmThanks guys, I was also looking at the Quatro boards. Where did you order the Mantis 6 from? My local shop only has up to 5m. When I called the local shop they claimed that a 5m wing would even work in ~12kt of wind (which is basically the low end of what I want), but I am a little skeptical of that
Eventually you can get foiling in 12 knots on a 5m. Your low end improves very quickly as you learn.blackswan wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:59 pmThanks guys, I was also looking at the Quatro boards. Where did you order the Mantis 6 from? My local shop only has up to 5m. When I called the local shop they claimed that a 5m wing would even work in ~12kt of wind (which is basically the low end of what I want), but I am a little skeptical of that
i'm about 10-12 kg heavier.. i foil on kites, paddle SUP with foil, pump a surfboard with foil and just started efoiling also..blackswan wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 pmHi,
I am a pretty proficient foiler (kite + efoil) looking to get into winging. I want to wing when it is <20kt (or offshore/poor conditions for kite), and I mainly want to use the wing to tow myself into surfing waves/swell.
I weigh 70kg, planning on the following setup:
fanatic 5'4 (95L), lift 250HA/v2 foil, and probably a large (6m+?) wing.
So I have a few questions for you experienced folks -
* is a 5'4 board too big to surf waves/swell with, and should I go through the hassle of learning to sink start right away? I am confident I will pick it up quickly, but given I want to wing in mostly light wind I think big board is probably best
* what would the wind range be with a ~6m wing for this setup? I suspect it's around 13-15kt on the low end but want second opinion
* which wing would you recommend given my planned use? Was looking at the '21 cab mantis 6.2 but it doesn't seem to be available yet
Appreciate the advice!
Ive now used this setup several times and am really liking it. I could have probably gone to 100-105 liters on the board without sacrificing too much, but the board also doesn't feel overly cumbersome at this size. Super easy to get going from knees to feet.StellaBlu wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:38 pmYou literally described me. Same experience, similar weight (77 kg), etc...
After a lot of deliberation I got the following setup:
- Quatro Wing Drifter 5'8" - Considered the 5'6", but the difference was minimal and I want to maximize my days on the water even if lighter wind (15 kts). If I was only winging 20kts+ I would have sized down.
- Lift 250 HA (I think v1 and v2 are the same) + 50 stab (because I already have it for kiting, but might experiment with smaller) - I might have gone with the v2 surf wing if it had been released. Slightly concerned that people have told me the 250HA is very advanced.
- Cab Mantis 6
Considered the Fanatic, but people steered me away from it. I recall it was a bit heavy. Regarding volume, I figure I will just go with a big board to start -- accelerating the learning curve. By the time Im getting into waves of any significance I will probably get a second lower volume board. The big board will eventually become a light wind board.
The board and wing came recommended from Mac (Tucker) and confirmed with others.
I haven't used this setup yet (still waiting on the wing), but will report back when I finally do. I was told that the Mantis 6 is shipping this week.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest