Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

gear buying advice

Forum for wing surfers
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: gear buying advice

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:38 am

Jyoder wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:38 pm
2-3 hours on flat water, 5 knots wind, learning to balance and fly wing.
5 hours over 3 sessions in 10-20knot wind fairy flat water, learning to pump to get on foil, managing power.

I can now gybe to toe side and switch feet both ways, carve swell with wing “off”, and rocket upwind in race stance.

Compared to kitefoiling, winging is easy! the large foil is so stable and you can dance around on the board and recover bad foot placement in slow motion.

DIY 100 L 5.5ft x 32in x 4 inch board. 2000cm2 infinity 84 foil on 30in mast, 7m echo, and borrowed a friends 5m wasp for the 15-20knot session.

Big 7m wing provides so much stability, like an anchor in the sky, just like a big kite. I’m 6ft2in tall, 75kg so hardly any worries about dragging a wingtip once you learn the technique.

Great session in 8-14 knots yesterday, comfortably powered but had to pump to start.
Awesome looking board!!!! I imagine that releases the water really well in light wind.

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:51 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:38 pm
2-3 hours on flat water, 5 knots wind, learning to balance and fly wing.
5 hours over 3 sessions in 10-20knot wind fairy flat water, learning to pump to get on foil, managing power.

I can now gybe to toe side and switch feet both ways, carve swell with wing “off”, and rocket upwind in race stance.

Compared to kitefoiling, winging is easy! the large foil is so stable and you can dance around on the board and recover bad foot placement in slow motion.

DIY 100 L 5.5ft x 32in x 4 inch board. 2000cm2 infinity 84 foil on 30in mast, 7m echo, and borrowed a friends 5m wasp for the 15-20knot session.

Big 7m wing provides so much stability, like an anchor in the sky, just like a big kite. I’m 6ft2in tall, 75kg so hardly any worries about dragging a wingtip once you learn the technique.

Great session in 8-14 knots yesterday, comfortably powered but had to pump to start.
Sounds great! It must be a great pleasure to spend time like this.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

So a few weeks have passed and I sold my 7m wing, bought a 4m wing, had a few good sessions in decent swell riding with wing flagged for a bit, tried a small sinker board but was too shallow, and ultimately have kind of given up on wingfoiling. If it was deep enough to use a sinker board, I might spend the time to learn winging on tiny board and foil, but my local sites just aren’t suited to anything but a big floater board for winging. I might hang onto the gear for an occasional novelty session but for now I’m 100% back to kitefoil on strapless racefoil. Don’t regret the time and $ spent though, it was a fun diversion for a bit.

Return to “Wingsurfing”