Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Bye Bye Kneestart

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 am

There are many tutorials in the net, but just on the channel of Alan Cadiz I found one, that shows how to avoid using this unpleasant and tortuous manoeuvre. :wink:

For long time I thought kneestart with bigger or smaller board is the end and special windsurf style starts is only for Maui and or professionals. How wrong I was. :oops:

It just took a few days to change from only knee start to nearly no knee start anymore even in winds too low to start foil flight. There are quite a lot procedures to avoid:
Crawling up the board, pulling in leash, turing around wing, coming into knee position ... :roll: :face_vomiting:

And even if I actually use a -10 l board I have low doubts that most procedures also work with +10 l as I have started to learn the first steps with my old +10 l and will retry when I get my new + 10 l.
KJ-no-more-kneestart-kl.jpg
Described a few versions in my blog, sorry actually no links and pics and english version. But when things improve, I hope that I can make and link a video.
KJ-Wing-Windsurferstart-kl.jpg
But maybe some of you find also some video snippets with relaunches of professionals as they are not all cut out.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
Breze (Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bye Bye Kneestart

Postby elguapo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 am

why not just do a boogie board knee start when riding undersized boards(strapless).. ?

seems like a pointless step to sit on your knees when you'll probably have go thru that single knee position regardless... and going from sitting to single knee...and single knee to standing isnt too difficult one handed. (and might be more stable that sitting on 2 knees)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:37 am

Last edited by OzBungy on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:12 am

Interesting :thumb:

When reading your blog and details, it sounds simple Horst, except that you have to turn the wing around also (not needed with a kneestart) :thumb:

But we have to see it on video, to fully get if there is potential or not.

I think most do the kneestart having the lower legs across the board, and not lengthwise like on your picture of "before".
It is far more comfortable as you dont have your feet up on the board, nothing is stressed or twisted on your feet nor ankles.

8) Peter

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Bye Bye Kneestar

Postby Dave K » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:22 pm

Sounds interesting, but it does look like it requires foot straps,....unless I’m mistaken from the picture and description. Wouldn’t be a solution if you ride strapless, unless you are doing a standard sinker board start which also requires a healthy dose of wind AND deep enough water (we do a lot of riding in waist-to-chest deep water).

Return to “Wingsurfing”