Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gear for best low end

Forum for wing surfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gear for best low end

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 am

Kane De Wilde (88.5kg) says in this clip (at 1 hour 13 minutes), that he can get foiling in 6 knots of wind with a 3.5m wing and a 1000 sq cm foil, on his downwind paddle board (but he doesn't mention if that is in waves or flat water). He says the board (his is a custom) is a very big factor - he talks about board design at 23 minutes.

This might be the 5' 11" by 25" blue with white stripes 110 to 115L board Kane says is insane for gliding into waves. It might also be the board he says would have the best low end.
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am

Yes but Kane can also beach start and pump into waves even without a wind wing... Power to weight ratio, hydrofoils reward it heavily! Once he's up, that smaller wind wing has less area to drag. I think he's also favoring hydrofoil wings which are harder to get starting lift from but will have less drag as well once he's pumped to speed and pulling aparent wind.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dontsink » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm

fluidity wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am
Yes but Kane can also beach start and pump into waves even without a wind wing... Power to weight ratio, hydrofoils reward it heavily! Once he's up, that smaller wind wing has less area to drag. I think he's also favoring hydrofoil wings which are harder to get starting lift from but will have less drag as well once he's pumped to speed and pulling aparent wind.
They also talk about a Rob Whittall (Ozone) interview in which he says he goes up on foil with 4m/10kt.

Rob ain't no kid anymore so maybe it is a more attainable goal for us mere (and ageing) mortals :)

Return to “Wingsurfing”