Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wing thing any fun without proper waves?

Forum for wing surfers
juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Wing thing any fun without proper waves?

Postby juandesooka » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Bennis123 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm
I've decided to try :D I think I'll skip the huge board and maybe get something around 10-20l over my weight.

I'm struggling a bit with foil size though. 2000cm2 seems like the recommended size to start. I just wonder if it will be too big on the days we actually get a bit of waves here.

Also I own a slingshot hoverglide setup for kitefoil, but as far as I understand I'll have to swap both the wing, stab and fuselage, so not much to save by keeping everything in the same brand family?
My 3 cents:

-- for wind newbs, wings are the quickest and easiest way to chase wind. For experienced wind chasers, the killer app for wings is wave riding, it's a personal tow-in assist for catching swells and surfing them with zero wind power. For flat water, personally I think kiting is more dynamic, harnesses wind power more efficiently, offers more fun potential. [now that being said, I am winging in flat water, because it's novel and because every day is a training session to more effectively use the wave days; the exception is sub 12kts....I prefer kite foiling, winging is hard work when under powered]

-- smaller boards: most of my winging has been on my trusty 115L sup foil. I am well used to this in surf and it easy for winging. But it's big. So I am also using a 5' 75L (I am 75kg), which is super fun once up and riding and super sucky when not. Underpowered a small board is really frustrating, hard to get up and you can't slog home -- basically need to paddle in if wind dies. For me, jury is still out, but so far I've shied away from using the small board much. The big board is FUN, easy, and I still have lots of goals to work in, in tightening up turns, making turns with speed, working on smooth foot switches, working on pumping, attempting tacks, etc. So, future goals are building a slightly smaller sup foil and a slightly larger small board. As you say, 10-20L above weight is a good goal.

-- foil size: I am on gofoil, found my maliko200 was the go-to (1800cm)....tried the smaller iwa, but couldn't consistently get up on foil unless lit. But now have moved to higher aspect and it's magic, just like everyone says. My 1200 wing is getting me up in everything other than super light. So for you, if you stick with SS, the 84 may be the optimal...but I have one buddy who prefers the 76, less surface area but faster. And I read one report online that the 99 is actually faster than the 84, as it is slimmer. You can use your fuselage and your mast winging. 36" is a bit longer than you want ideally, but it'll work (better that than too short). A 30" is ideal.

Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bennis123 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks for the input :D Can't wait to try catching the wind swell or the waves off the ferries here!

Do you by any chance know if I need a new pedestal on my SS kit? The pedestal in the fWing kit looks different from fKite. SS also sells two different length fuselages. Don't know it this affects stability much?

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:26 pm

I use the same pedestal for all my slingshot masts and wings. I recently purchased the new lighter one that is easier to attach and like it better. I have both of the fuselages and use the short one for kiting and the long one for wind foiling and winging. I find the longer one makes for more stable flight height.

Bennis123
Rare Poster

Postby Bennis123 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Looked into getting new fuse, foilwing and stab from SS. Looks like the total is almost the same as a new complete foil from Gong. Thinking of just getting a complete Gong setup so my non-kite-girlfriend can join me on the water.

What do you think about this pack from Gong?
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... -fsp-2x-3/
Thinking of going with the XL foil(1844cm2) and a 5'8 Lance FSP board.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:52 am

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

-- smaller boards: most of my winging has been on my trusty 115L sup foil. I am well used to this in surf and it easy for winging. But it's big. So I am also using a 5' 75L (I am 75kg), which is super fun once up and riding and super sucky when not. Underpowered a small board is really frustrating, hard to get up and you can't slog home -- basically need to paddle in if wind dies. For me, jury is still out, but so far I've shied away from using the small board much. The big board is FUN, easy, and I still have lots of goals to work in, in tightening up turns, making turns with speed, working on smooth foot switches, working on pumping, attempting tacks, etc. So, future goals are building a slightly smaller sup foil and a slightly larger small board. As you say, 10-20L above weight is a good goal.

-- foil size: I am on gofoil, found my maliko200 was the go-to (1800cm)....tried the smaller iwa, but couldn't consistently get up on foil unless lit. But now have moved to higher aspect and it's magic, just like everyone says. My 1200 wing is getting me up in everything other than super light. (...)
Weird, for me the IWA is the go to foil from GoFoil, with plenty of lift, despite my 100kgs. I recently purchased a used M200 which is nice in lighter winds when I'm using my 6, but otherwise I find the cruising speed to be a bit limiting, kind of stuck around 14kts board speed whereas the IWA comfortably cruises around 16-17kts, which feels much better, and which also helps with apparent wind, upwind ability, etc... Which wing did you get in the higher aspect range?

I've got a 5'7 105L board which keeps me floating through the dead patches, pretty stable and forgiving while being compact enough to not be a hassle. Zero chance of SUPing it in the surf though...

Bennis123
Rare Poster

Postby Bennis123 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:21 am

I can get a pretty good deal on a second hand Gong Lemon 4'8 70L board. But I guess I'll hate myself for buying it on all the 7-8ms days we have around here.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:31 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:52 am
Weird, for me the IWA is the go to foil from GoFoil, with plenty of lift, despite my 100kgs. I recently purchased a used M200 which is nice in lighter winds when I'm using my 6, but otherwise I find the cruising speed to be a bit limiting, kind of stuck around 14kts board speed whereas the IWA comfortably cruises around 16-17kts, which feels much better, and which also helps with apparent wind, upwind ability, etc... Which wing did you get in the higher aspect range?

I've got a 5'7 105L board which keeps me floating through the dead patches, pretty stable and forgiving while being compact enough to not be a hassle. Zero chance of SUPing it in the surf though...
Interesting about iwa for you...technique is everything! I got a GL180/240 and then splashed out on NL160. I generally have 2 setups ready to go, one for surf foil, and then a one level up wing size for sup/wing. However with my NL, I've been finding that I want to ride it in everything, small/big waves, light/strong wind...it's lately become a go-to for pretty much all conditions. Not wanting to say it's magic, but it kinda has been for me. That being said, on some super light wind days I've pulled out the GL240 and it gets up and stays up in near nothing, pretty amazing. I didn't think I'd be the "never going back to low aspect" guy, but looking that way.

Bennis: there's a huge variety of experiences, someone will chime in to say that they ride a 20L board in 4kts and it's super easy. Maybe it's a cold water and grey sky thing, but everyone around here I know has struggled with the 70L-ish boards in lighter winds. Seems like people tend to be stepping back towards 90-105 as a single board option for all conditions. Me, I am running 2 boards, 115L when light or 75L when windy enough.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Fri May 07, 2021 8:14 am

I was thinking about this thread when I was out on the waves last weekend.
I recently upgraded to my own board which is my second board and a sinker. It needs 20 kg of me under water before I sink no lower. I also switched from the deep tuttle in the F-One to the ride engine box in the one I built which let me use a different, 130mm longer mast. So much better! I can heel over more without breaching and wave riding is much more fun with the shorter board and longer mast. This brings me back to your question about can you still have fun on small waves? And I say that foiling gives you 3D. Not like jumping with a kite but there is a range of motion that isn't there with only a surface riding board and it's all good.

Bennis123
Rare Poster

Postby Bennis123 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for the write up! I guess my concern is mostly how it compares to kite foil, since that's mostly what I'm doing now. After watching more wing videos it seems like you guys can catch quite small waves with those huge foil wings. Flagging out the wing on a wave, and not ever have to worry about crashing my single skin kite in the surf is definitely what draws me to try this!

I'm now looking into the Takuma lol or Kujira foils. Has anyone tried the lol vs Gongs foils? They seem to be priced almost the same.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:46 pm

I've only winged a bit but I prone foil surf approximately 5 days/week and kite foil regularly, including this morning.

Get an Axis setup. I have lots of foils and the Axis is the best because you can upgrade whenever you need and they have a huge variety of parts, also relatively cheap and durable.

This is not a surf foiling forum but surf foiling is probably the best sport of all, just incredible connecting bumps and carving and feeling the oceans pure energy.
Now kitefoiling is not optimal for riding waves as the foil is so fast you easily outrun the kite when surfing a wave off-the-wind. This is eliminated with the wing as you can just flag it out, allowing you to effectively combine the two sports when it's windy.

Not sure about flat-water winging but I had fun doing it and it's something different and relatively minimalist so that's always a win!
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post (total 2):
juandesooka (Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:13 pm) • bigtone667 (Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:31 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Wingsurfing”