Forum for wing surfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong vs other brands wings and foils

Postby Flyboy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Bennis123 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm
So I'm really trying to put together a cheap setup to get started. But I want to avoid having to change everything after one season or less.

The stuff from Gong seems like the cheapest way in. But how does their gear compare to the other brands? Are the wings worse than the offerings from Duotone, F-one and Ozone?
Are their high end foils comparable to the likes of Axis and Moses if i want to upgrade one part at a time(first the foilwing then the mast etc)?

I guess going for a second hand wing isn't an alternative since there seems to have been a lot of change in design since last year.
In answer to your question: the foils are great. "High end" comparable to Axis & Moses? Well, it depends what you mean by "high end". Gong doesn't really have a race foil option - they seem to have decided (probably correctly) that's not where the sales volume lies. In that sense, they don't have a "high end" foil. However, the quality & design of their foils is first rate & up-to-date. One thing to note: their carbon foils use an integrated mast/fuselage concept (similar to Go Foils). This provides great solidity, but at the cost of being able to break down the unit to single pieces.

I can't comment on the winging wings ... but they certainly offer a range of different options, which suggests to me that they are keeping on top of all current developments in winging design.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
downsouth (Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm
I wouldn't describe Gong foils as "good for the price". They are good, period. Comparable to any other brand out there. Furthermore, Gong now has as comprehensive a line-up of products - at least where all types of foiling are concerned - as any other brand out there ... & more comprehensive than most.

Customer service? It's not so much that the customer service is bad ... it's pretty much non-existent. It's currently impossible to get hold of Gong in any way. They have no phone number you can reach & no email contact. All they have is a "FAQs" page. I understand that they are very busy turning out product, but given the extremely complicated, back-ordered status of much of their stock, not having any way to get hold of them is unconscionable. I have a friend who has a compete winging pack on order - he has no assurance of when the various components will be available & no way of contacting Gong to get any additional information. I think if you are going to have an online presence only - not uncommon in the present day - you've got to make the effort to have responsive customer service for your buyers.
that's not my experience...
I've bought some gong stuff in the past, and they answer withing 24h on questions via email.

For an online company they reply quickly...

Stock: you can see when the containers will arrive on their forum...

This is my experience with kite and surf gear before the 'explosion' of the Wing hype... so things might have changed...

They sell 1500 wing foils/month, 2000 wingboards and 2000 wings a month... that's probably a lot more than other 'big' companies.

Price/quality they are unbeatable... My brother bought a wing set (F-one/ moses) and paid more than 3000€ with a big discount from the shop without discount it would have been like 3500€. Gong offers sets at 1800€ ... just do the maths...

Nayy

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I bought a Hipe recently and it is top notch quality-wise, now I want to eventually consider one of their foils to go with it when I am done with my current foil. When I had shipping questions they responded quickly the following business day by email.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

nayy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 am
Flyboy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm
I wouldn't describe Gong foils as "good for the price". They are good, period. Comparable to any other brand out there. Furthermore, Gong now has as comprehensive a line-up of products - at least where all types of foiling are concerned - as any other brand out there ... & more comprehensive than most.

Customer service? It's not so much that the customer service is bad ... it's pretty much non-existent. It's currently impossible to get hold of Gong in any way. They have no phone number you can reach & no email contact. All they have is a "FAQs" page. I understand that they are very busy turning out product, but given the extremely complicated, back-ordered status of much of their stock, not having any way to get hold of them is unconscionable. I have a friend who has a compete winging pack on order - he has no assurance of when the various components will be available & no way of contacting Gong to get any additional information. I think if you are going to have an online presence only - not uncommon in the present day - you've got to make the effort to have responsive customer service for your buyers.
that's not my experience...
I've bought some gong stuff in the past, and they answer withing 24h on questions via email.

For an online company they reply quickly...

Yes - it may have been the situation pre-Covid. Right now they don't even HAVE an email contact.

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Yes - it may have been the situation pre-Covid. Right now they don't even HAVE an email contact.
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/forum/viewt ... 9&start=60

here you have a reply from the boss on 4/5... No problems to contact them...

It's not via an email but through their 'contact form'... did you try that ?

In the past e-mail was possible...

Their forum is also possible...

nayy

Return to “Wingsurfing”