Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Gong vs other brands wings and foils

Postby Bennis123 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm

So I'm really trying to put together a cheap setup to get started. But I want to avoid having to change everything after one season or less.

The stuff from Gong seems like the cheapest way in. But how does their gear compare to the other brands? Are the wings worse than the offerings from Duotone, F-one and Ozone?
Are their high end foils comparable to the likes of Axis and Moses if i want to upgrade one part at a time(first the foilwing then the mast etc)?

I guess going for a second hand wing isn't an alternative since there seems to have been a lot of change in design since last year.

downsouth
Rare Poster
Gear: Dice , NEO , Bandit Razed ....
Brand Affiliation: still working on that one .....

Re: Gong vs other brands wings and foils

Postby downsouth » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:44 pm

I have just bought my self some Gong Allvator foils. I also have tested the Moses / SAB foils and decided to buy a Gong. After about 10 sessions I do not regret my purchase. In fact I bought three setup where I could fo bought one Moses / SAB foil

GONG does not mean cheap as I experienced.

My 2 C

Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None

Postby Bennis123 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks! Have you also tried their wings? I can't find too many reviews on their different new models.

Si_DB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 107
Local Beach: Lancing Beach
Style: Averag
Gear: Ozone Torque V1
7,9 and 11m Rebel

Postby Si_DB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:11 pm

I would have ordered a full wing set up earlier in the year but they never have stuff in stock. Not an issue but they want you to pay upfront then wait for bits to be sent as they come back into stock but what is the point of that?

I’d be happy to pay a deposit and wait, but don’t see why I should have to pay in full up front. Couldn’t even use it till it all arrived.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 am

Had a excellent wing session with my Gong Veloce L foil. Its my usual prone foiling / surf kite foiling setup, while I usually wing with a Axis 1150. Great session winging with the Veloce L.

I would hapily recommend the Gong Veloce XL to anyone starting, you will not grow out of it. The 85cm carbon mast would be a good upgrade.

downsouth
Rare Poster
Gear: Dice , NEO , Bandit Razed ....
Brand Affiliation: still working on that one .....

Postby downsouth » Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 pm

Bennis123 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:57 pm
Thanks! Have you also tried their wings? I can't find too many reviews on their different new models.
I have used a Netrua 5,0 and enjoyed it and will definitely consider them in my next purchase. Yes, they are sold out often but so are many other brands at the moment. There is more to Gong than a low-cost product.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Low cost, good products, fast delivery, good customer service.

Dont expect to get a refund if you break something - but thats the way online shops have to work.

8) Peter

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 pm

I have a Gong foil that I use for kiting. It's pretty good for the price. A few of my friends got Gong wings and foils they look very similar to the other brands and they appear to work fine but I have no interest in Wings so I can't comment on the performance!

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun May 02, 2021 7:41 am

The Masts and fuselages are a great deal. I've heard of the wind wings blowing up but also that some of their pumps had wrong pressure reading. Neither of which I've confirmed enough I can pass on the link. If you get into any DIY their masts and fuselages are a good starting place to attach a wing onto.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm

I wouldn't describe Gong foils as "good for the price". They are good, period. Comparable to any other brand out there. Furthermore, Gong now has as comprehensive a line-up of products - at least where all types of foiling are concerned - as any other brand out there ... & more comprehensive than most.

Customer service? It's not so much that the customer service is bad ... it's pretty much non-existent. It's currently impossible to get hold of Gong in any way. They have no phone number you can reach & no email contact. All they have is a "FAQs" page. I understand that they are very busy turning out product, but given the extremely complicated, back-ordered status of much of their stock, not having any way to get hold of them is unconscionable. I have a friend who has a compete winging pack on order - he has no assurance of when the various components will be available & no way of contacting Gong to get any additional information. I think if you are going to have an online presence only - not uncommon in the present day - you've got to make the effort to have responsive customer service for your buyers.

Return to “Wingsurfing”