Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tack Development On The Hand Wing

Forum for wing surfers
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Tack Development On The Hand Wing

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue May 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Tack development with a hand wing....the dreaded tack. Hope this can help someone to see my failures in this journey.
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post (total 4):
Dontsink (Tue May 11, 2021 5:25 pm) • usa (Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm) • bigtone667 (Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 pm) • SimonP (Thu May 20, 2021 8:56 am)
Rating: 12.12%

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Tack Development On The Hand Wing

Postby Dave K » Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 am

Nice tutorial😀. Interesting how these forums always seem to generate endless discussion on gear options, but very little if any talk on skill progression. Saw another nice post on doing duck jibes with no responses, but all kinds responses to winging with an Onda 633. Oh well, we humans will be forever gear obsessed over skill obsessed.

0nly thing I might add to the video is something that doesn’t get discussed much, “inherent roll rate” of the wing. Wings with more dihedral in the shape (think of the original Duotone wings) tend to roll over very easily and quickly and on there own during a tack. Flat wings with little dihedral will roll much slower. If you tack all the time you will certainly notice it. If you hardly ever tack it will never enter your thought process. Riders who mostly flag out in waves and downwinders want that flat wing (very little or no dihedral) that flags out with perfect stability, sometimes not even realizing that a perfect flag out wing might be harder to tack.......

I really was intrigued by the use of the Tri-deck 3 wheeled land board in the video. Looks like it would make a workable winging board for hard pack sand and smooth grass fields. My mountain board works great on pavement but quickly gets stuck in anything softer unless I’m way over powered. Wonder if you’ve tried it on grass?

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 am

I’ve gone from original Duotone wings to Echo’s and now to Slicks. With each switch the wings have gotten flatter so they flag better but “roll” slower. On a standard tack you can adapt to the slower roll, but I’ve found on some non-tradional tacks it really becomes more of an issue.

My Echo’s worked pretty well for behind-the-back tacks (attached vid), but when I tried it with my Slick it definitely did not want to roll as fast as I was carving upwind. Something I’ll have to figure out................(life beyond flagging out in a wave🤣)

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am

I am just learning to tack but if i think if you push with your back hand a bit as you pull the wing overhead and across with the front hand it rolls quicker.

gription
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Ozone WASP, Slingshot SST

Postby gription » Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm

how did you mount the camera on your board? Has the mount ever ripped off on you? worries me a little to put my camera in a high risk place like that, but its a nice view.

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 am

Dontsink wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am
I am just learning to tack but if i think if you push with your back hand a bit as you pull the wing overhead and across with the front hand it rolls quicker.
Yep, that is exactly what I mostly do for heel-to-toeside tacks. On toe-to-heelside tacks I’ll sometimes use my head and/or
shoulder to speed up the roll rate. When you do a behind-the-back tack do don’t have that “push it over” option. If you have a nice long upwind glide through the tack (meaning you’re not turning as sharply) then a lower dihedral wing has more time to roll over on its own. For a tight turn, not so much. This is just my feeble klutzy ole guy observation. I’m sure there are pro level riders who can get any wing to roll as fast as they want.....
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
Dontsink (Thu May 13, 2021 4:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sat May 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Dave K wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 am
Nice tutorial😀. Interesting how these forums always seem to generate endless discussion on gear options, but very little if any talk on skill progression. Saw another nice post on doing duck jibes with no responses, but all kinds responses to winging with an Onda 633. Oh well, we humans will be forever gear obsessed over skill obsessed.

0nly thing I might add to the video is something that doesn’t get discussed much, “inherent roll rate” of the wing. Wings with more dihedral in the shape (think of the original Duotone wings) tend to roll over very easily and quickly and on there own during a tack. Flat wings with little dihedral will roll much slower. If you tack all the time you will certainly notice it. If you hardly ever tack it will never enter your thought process. Riders who mostly flag out in waves and downwinders want that flat wing (very little or no dihedral) that flags out with perfect stability, sometimes not even realizing that a perfect flag out wing might be harder to tack.......

I really was intrigued by the use of the Tri-deck 3 wheeled land board in the video. Looks like it would make a workable winging board for hard pack sand and smooth grass fields. My mountain board works great on pavement but quickly gets stuck in anything softer unless I’m way over powered. Wonder if you’ve tried it on grass?
The trideck is ok in grass but excels on pavement. I’m not sure it is much more superior on grass than a conventional NB.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm

gription wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm
how did you mount the camera on your board? Has the mount ever ripped off on you? worries me a little to put my camera in a high risk place like that, but its a nice view.
I just put a 360 camera on a regular surfboard mount and tightened it as much as possible. I tethered it as well just in case.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 16, 2021 9:43 am

I love your videos and tutorials Okkiteboarder :thumb:

No nonsense, at a level where the majority got a chance, and good to see the crashes too, we all will have loads of, whenever attempting something new.

Soiid sane advice, in a friendly "un-american" down to earth no sales pitch tone, calm and real - I truly like that :D

8) Peter

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Yeah definitely, props for the videos. They have come a long way.

Return to “Wingsurfing”