Forum for wing surfers
etik05
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sauble beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Light weight beginner with huge foil compensation

Postby etik05 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:53 pm

New winger , two sessions , 67 kg with a 2400 foil on a 6ft 110l board. NO FOIL EXPERIENCE

Able to sort of taxi around and felt that huge foil jump up a few times.

Do I need to compensate for my lighter weight on a 2400 cf foil ?

Should I move the mast further towards the back or front , should I shift my feet either way to compensate ?

Sold a lot of toys to get this gear and need to make it to work ( getting a smaller foil is not an option this year)

I realize experimenting with the setup will help but looking to tap in this wealth of knowledge.

*** also , thoughts on the armstrong power link control bar ... aside from cost and DYI ..any input ***

Thanks for you help.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Re: Light weight beginner with huge foil compensation

Postby gl » Sat May 22, 2021 5:17 pm

I am about 80 kg and mainly ride to 2400 Square centimetre foil. I am not sure exactly what your question is. But if you're having trouble getting up on the foil it's probably just your lack of experience. Having said that if you move the foil forward in the tracks assuming you haven't changed where you're standing you should get earlier lift. I ride a 120 l. board and prefer my foil at the back of the track on that board.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun May 23, 2021 12:46 am

It’s simple. Think about your (the riders) position on the board as leverage against the foil.

the less you weigh, the more you need to stand forward when compared to someone heavier. More leverage. The longer lever, gives you the same loading over the foil a heavy guy gets standing farther back (less leverage).

You get the same affect moving the foil back in the tracks. Increased leverage for your lighter weight. Deciding whether to move the foil back in the tracks, or stand farther forward on the board to get this leverage, should be based on where you’d like to be standing on the board. Where you’d like to be standing should be based on the boards volume distribution, balance, feel, etc.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 am

Your position over the foil is the same for any weight in theory, with your body+board Center of Gravity over the foil center of pressure (a point in the front third from the leading edge of the front wing).

But your wing loading (kg for cm2 of foil surface) is lower.This decreases the foil's characteristic speeds (stall,max controllable).

So on the good side you should rise on foil at really slow speed and on the bad side you will be creating excess lift at pretty slow speed too,forcing you to put weight forward to decrease Angle of Attack.This works up to a speed at which the foil will start to feel twitchy and unpredictable.

Sorry if i thoroughly confused you :)

If you want to know where to place the mast look here:
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/blogs/ne ... cement-fo/

This is a good starting point,and then you fine tune.
And be aware that light riders will not be fast on a big foil but at the beginner stage they will make getting up and flying easier.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon May 24, 2021 7:39 am

Move the mast forward about 15mm and try again. It's all about matching your slogging foot positions to your foiling foot positions.
As the foil moves forward the lift moves forward and vice versa. The front of the board has a lot of leverage but the foil has a lot of power. A heavier rider will dominate the foil and board weight more, for you, it's important to effectivly move the board back on the foil because your weight is less influential(than a heavier rider) on the board's leverage over the foil.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 am

Dwight wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:46 am
It’s simple. Think about your (the riders) position on the board as leverage against the foil.

the less you weigh, the more you need to stand forward when compared to someone heavier. More leverage. The longer lever, gives you the same loading over the foil a heavy guy gets standing farther back (less leverage).

You get the same affect moving the foil back in the tracks. Increased leverage for your lighter weight. Deciding whether to move the foil back in the tracks, or stand farther forward on the board to get this leverage, should be based on where you’d like to be standing on the board. Where you’d like to be standing should be based on the boards volume distribution, balance, feel, etc.
Not quite right. that long lever in front of the foil(the board) needs a counter ballance.
Mr Gorilla won't need his centre of gravity much back of the front foil.
Stick man however, will be perched on the very back of the board while the front still wants to fall down.

So move the foil forwards to compensate for a light rider on a long board.

However Dwight, once you are foiling, another factor comes into it too- speed and stabiliser angle. If it's set wrong, it's set wrong but a heavier rider will have more weight to compensate for the incorrect angle. A test push of the board should have the front arc very gently upwards.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon May 24, 2021 10:18 am

As you Foil is staring to rise out of the water push on your big front toe to keep the board level. Also have your back foot positioned on the downwind side of the board. Inexperienced Foilers tend to 'Hook the Board' upwind. This foot position will allow you to more easily controll the pitch and roll of the Foil. Report back after trying and let us know of your progress.

Return to “Wingsurfing”